I finally got the Fanda Dash8-300 panel successfully merged with three different Dash 8's. All three fly well, no nose up problem. I'm not really sure what I was doing wrong before, but apparently if you walk away from a project for awhile and come back to it things "look" different.
Very simple really, using Nigel Grant's excellent tutorial found here:http://www.flightsim.com/main/howto/fanda.htm
I'm pretty sure...I honestly don't recall...my mistake was in downloading the suggested Dash 8 to merge with the Fanda Panel. It was an FS2002 aircraft that had been modified to work in FS2004. Before attempting the merge I never flew the aircraft to see how it flew, just did the merge and tried to fly. In the months since I tried the first merge I had since deleted both the aircraft. The original aircraft because it did not fly with the merge and the Fanda because it had no liveries I was interested in...but flew great.
So, this time I basically started fresh with one exception, I already had proven freeware Dash 8's I was using with liveries I liked, a DH8A in a Delta Connection paint from Premier Aircraft Design, a DH8C in an ERA Aviation paint also from PAD, and finally the Dreamwings DH8D Q400 with a ton of liveries from Horizon to Royal Jordanian. I flew all three aircraft many many times and they were stable in all phases of flight. In every one though there were things about the panel that were, shall we say, less than desired.
Using those three aircraft for my model and texture sources, I downloaded and installed the Fanda Dash 8 again. Following Nigel's tutorial I made a copy of the model folder for each of my Dash 8's and renamed them "model.100", "model.300", and "model.400". These three model folders I moved into the aircraft folder for the Fanda, so I now have 4 model folders in the Fanda Folder.
Next I moved one texture for each model folder I moved into the Fanda Aircraft folder. Then I went into the Fanda acft.cfg file and added the textures using standard aircraft livery addition procedures (see Nigel's tutorial). So now I have all the original Fanda textures, plus a texture for the -100 model, the -300 model, and the -Q400 model. Those acft.cfg entries must reference the appropriate model folder.
So, for the Fanda Liveries my entry is "Model=". For the 100 my entry is "Model=100", for the PAD -300 my model is "Model=300", "Model=400" for the dreamwings. Make sure the "texture=" line matches the textures you moved there for each specific model.
There are some drawbacks to having all the models and textures in one folder, though. The aircraft lights for one. They are hanging out in the air on the -100, perfect for the PAD -300 (since the Fanda is a 300) and somewhere inside the body of the aircraft for the -400 Dreamwings. It's because the lights position is established by the acft.cfg file and there is only one config file being used by all four aircraft (the Fanda, the two PADs, and the DW). So, once I had one aircraft folder (Dash8-300-2) set up and working I simply copied that folder, renamed the copy to "Dash8-100-2" and "Dash8-400-2" and copied them back in to FS9. Now I have three aircraft folders and four models, the -100, the PAD -300, the Fanda -300, and the DW -Q400. Now I can adjust the light positions however I want using the individual acft.cfg's..
The only real remaining drawback is that the -100 reaches takeoff speed very quickly, since the model is much lighter than the -300 specifications loaded with the acft.cfg and in the AIR file. I just use less throttle for takeoffs and cruise. Another is the Q400 characteristic of a quieter engine doesn't sound quiet
. I tried to chage it by using the DW soundfile, but there are missing sounds and some that just don't sound right so I'll leave with a louder "quiet" Dash8.
...next is trying to figure out how to incorporate Ernie Alston's ISG1 FMC to get updateable AIRACs instead of the severely outdated one that comes with the Fanda.
Hope this helps.