VATSIM.net

VATSIM's Global Discussion Community
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:41 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:57 am 

After installing FSInn following the instructions at viewtopic.php?f=43&t=20466, I followed FSInn's manual on connecting to VATSIM using FS2002. I started FSInn and then I clicked on flight/multiplayer/connect. Now, after typing in a player name in the player name box and localhost in the IP box, I clicked search. After a couple seconds, FS2002 finds the FSInn multiplayer session.

However, when I click join, it thinks for a few seconds, but does nothing. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance for the help.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:07 am 

edit. disregard last.

check firewall or antivirus, make sure they arent blocking the connection with FSINN

436th AW 9th AS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:45 am 

FSFDTCP.exe, fwinn.exe, and FSInnUI.exe are all allowed though my firewall.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:57 am 

how about FS2002? that one should be listed aswell

436th AW 9th AS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:10 am 

Ernesto Alvarez 818262 wrote:
how about FS2002? that one should be listed aswell

I had not even thought about checking FS2002 before now, although I just did and it is.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:22 am 

whats your system specs?

436th AW 9th AS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:31 am 

whats your system specs?

System
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
Model HP Pavilion dv2700 Notebook PC
Total amount of system memory 4.00 GB RAM
System type 64-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 2

Storage
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total size of hard disk(s) 233 GB
Disk partition (C:) 23 GB Free (220 GB Total)
Disk partition (D:) 2 GB Free (13 GB Total)
Media drive (E:) CD/DVD

Graphics

Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce 7150M / nForce 630M
Total available graphics memory 1071 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 64 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 1007 MB
Display adapter driver version 7.15.11.7991
Primary monitor resolution 1024x768
DirectX version DirectX 9.0 or better

Network

Network Adapter Microsoft Tun Miniport Adapter
Network Adapter Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN
Network Adapter NVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:39 am 

what Windows version?

436th AW 9th AS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:45 am 

what Windows version?

Windows Vista

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:48 am 

did you do the part in the installation under 2a? that one is very important for Vista and Win7 users

436th AW 9th AS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:59 am 

did you do the part in the installation under 2a? that one is very important for Vista and Win7 users

Yes, I have.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:55 am 

Derry Hoggatt 1183527 wrote:
After installing FSInn following the instructions at viewtopic.php?f=43&t=20466, I followed FSInn's manual on connecting to VATSIM using FS2002. I started FSInn and then I clicked on flight/multiplayer/connect. Now, after typing in a player name in the player name box and localhost in the IP box, I clicked search. After a couple seconds, FS2002 finds the FSInn multiplayer session.

However, when I click join, it thinks for a few seconds, but does nothing. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance for the help.

Hi, Derry. Will you reinstall FSInn and follow closely the steps provided in the installation sticky. You don't have to uninstall to perform this new install.

Write down the steps that you do, as you perform them on your computer. If you have problems, post the log that you wrote. Use the installation sticky as a guide for your log and what you post.

Thanks in advance for these details.

-- L. James

--
L. D. James
ljames@apollo3.com
www.apollo3.com/~ljames

For FSInn/VATSIM issues, please test the FSInn Installation sticky and linked FAQ. It really works!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:49 am 

Below are the steps. The installations worked perfectly the first time each time:

1.Installed Flight Simulator then installed the appropriate service pack for the Flight Simulator version (FS9.1, FSX/SP1, FSX/SP2) on a fresh system.

Flight Simulator is already installed, so I don't think I need to do that.

2. Installed FSCopilot 1.7 and FSinn 1.3. Run FSInnUI once from the Start menu to update .ocx registration. (Important to click Start -> FSFDT -> FSInnUI -> Chat).

(During the install, I didn't make any changes or type anything in any of the fields. I just clicked Next or ENTER, for both packages. )

Installed FSCopilot 1.7 and then FSInn 1.3, making no changes or typing anything into any of the fields.

2a. Vista (and Windows 7) Specific
Quote:
Important Specifically for Vista (and Windows 7):

I right clicked on the FSX.exe (or FS9.exe) program and set the compatible mode to Run as Administrator (by putting a check mark in the "Run as Administrator" option). Very Important: Don’t put any check marks in any of the FSInn modules.

(You can find Flight Simulator's install directory with FindFS.)

FS2002 is already setup to run as administrator. (I learned about that with Microsoft Train Simulator.)

Also, right click on the FSInnUI (the Inn Control Panel) from the start menu. Click on Run As Administrator, then Click on Chat.

Ran FSInnUI once from the start menu as an administrator, clicked on the chat button.

For Windows 7 the system has to be run from an account that is Administrator type (a Standard user will not work properly) This is changed from the Control Panel -> User Accounts - Change Your Account Type.

3.Started Flight Simlator, clicked on Add-on, Clicked on Inn Control Panel -> Set -> General -> Basic (Filled in my Call Sign, First Name, Last Name and Homebase Airport. Then Clicked Network -> VATSIM (typed in my UserID, Password and a current server from the link [Vatsim Current List of Servers]). The default installed IP is obsolete.

Started Flight Simulator 2002, started a flight at Meigs with the default C172. I then clicked on CoPilot, then FSInn Control Panel. Then I click on Set - General - Basic, then filled in my Call Sign, First and Last names, and home base airport (KOKM). Afterwards I clicked on Network - VATSIM, and typed in my UserID, Password, and the IP Address for the VATSIM server in Ohio.

FSInn manual instructions for connecting with FS2002:
With FS2004, FSInn then starts a multiplayer session automatically. The process is
the same as if you connect the session in the FS9 menu: ‘Flight/Multiplayer/Connect’.

With FS 2002, you must make the multiplayer connection manually,
‘Flights/Multiplayer/Connect’ and enter the IP address 127.0.0.1 or localhost.

So, I click on Flights/Multiplayer/Connect and enter 127.0.0.1 under IP address, and then I click on search. After a few seconds, FWInn appears under sessions, I select it, and then click join. After I click join, FS2002 thinks for a few seconds, but does nothing. I try again, only changing 127.0.0.1 to localhost, but the result is the same.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:08 am 

Derry Hoggatt 1183527 wrote:
Below are the steps. The installations worked perfectly the first time each time:

1.Installed Flight Simulator then installed the appropriate service pack for the Flight Simulator version (FS9.1, FSX/SP1, FSX/SP2) on a fresh system.

2. Installed FSCopilot 1.7 and FSinn 1.3. Run FSInnUI once from the Start menu to update .ocx registration. (Important to click Start -> FSFDT -> FSInnUI -> Chat).

(During the install, I didn't make any changes or type anything in any of the fields. I just clicked Next or ENTER, for both packages. )

Installed FSCopilot 1.7 and then FSInn 1.3, making no changes or typing anything into any of the fields.

2a. Vista (and Windows 7) Specific
Quote:
Important Specifically for Vista (and Windows 7):

I right clicked on the FSX.exe (or FS9.exe) program and set the compatible mode to Run as Administrator (by putting a check mark in the "Run as Administrator" option). Very Important: Don’t put any check marks in any of the FSInn modules.

(You can find Flight Simulator's install directory with FindFS.)

FS2002 is already setup to run as administrator. (I learned about that with Microsoft Train Simulator.)

Also, right click on the FSInnUI (the Inn Control Panel) from the start menu. Click on Run As Administrator, then Click on Chat.

Ran FSInnUI once from the start menu as an administrator, clicked on the chat button.

For Windows 7 the system has to be run from an account that is Administrator type (a Standard user will not work properly) This is changed from the Control Panel -> User Accounts - Change Your Account Type.

3.Started Flight Simlator, clicked on Add-on, Clicked on Inn Control Panel -> Set -> General -> Basic (Filled in my Call Sign, First Name, Last Name and Homebase Airport. Then Clicked Network -> VATSIM (typed in my UserID, Password and a current server from the link [Vatsim Current List of Servers]). The default installed IP is obsolete.

Started Flight Simulator 2002, started a flight at Meigs with the default C172. I then clicked on CoPilot, then FSInn Control Panel. Then I click on Set - General - Basic, then filled in my Call Sign, First and Last names, and home base airport (KOKM). Afterwards I clicked on Network - VATSIM, and typed in my UserID, Password, and the IP Address for the VATSIM server in Ohio.

FSInn manual instructions for connecting with FS2002:
With FS2004, FSInn then starts a multiplayer session automatically. The process is
the same as if you connect the session in the FS9 menu: ‘Flight/Multiplayer/Connect’.

With FS 2002, you must make the multiplayer connection manually,
‘Flights/Multiplayer/Connect’ and enter the IP address 127.0.0.1 or localhost.

So, I click on Flights/Multiplayer/Connect and enter 127.0.0.1 under IP address, and then I click on search. After a few seconds, FWInn appears under sessions, I select it, and then click join. After I click join, FS2002 thinks for a few seconds, but does nothing. I try again, only changing 127.0.0.1 to localhost, but the result is the same.

Your message is rather unclear. It's hard to tell what you're doing and what you're typing from the installation sticky. It'd be much easier if you just typed what you're doing and not typed what you're not doing. It'd make it much easier to identify what you're doing wrong or not understanding.

I'll probably take some time and paste only the blue text into a notepad screen and just read that and see if you performed enough to have FSInn operating correctly, if that's what you're suggesting should be done.

Since everything in the sticky appears to be written, you should be up and running OK. But of course, reading all the text you have, it would appear that you're also running FS9 and FSX.

I'll do some work to try to isolate what you might have done and might not have done, but if you will consider doing this also it'll expedite a resolution.

I understand you want to include the text that works every time, but I already have the sticky, and just want your steps in your own words so that I can compare the two separate logs.

By the way, when I read the first line of your followup I was happy because I thought you were saying everything worked perfectly, as I know it would if you actually performed all the typed steps.

Edit:
Quote:

Not enough to have a working FSInn environment. Too much left out.

Again, just type in what you actually do on your computer. What you leave out will be the culprit. The culprit will be easier to see.

-- L. James

--
L. D. James
ljames@apollo3.com
http://www.apollo3.com/~ljames

For FSInn/VATSIM issues, please test the FSInn Installation sticky and linked FAQ. It really works!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:10 am 

I installed FSCopilot 1.7 first, leaving all checkboxes as default.

Then, I installed FSInn 1.3, again leaving all fields and checkboxes as default. I then clicked on start-FSFDT, right clicked on FSInnUI and clicked Run as administrator. After the control panel comes up, I click on chat. The chat window comes with no problems, so I close it and exit the control panel.

I then start FS2002 (which is already running as an administrator), and start the default flight at Meigs Field. I then press alt, and then click on Copilot, the FSInn Control Panel. After FSInn finishes processing my aircraft, I click on set - general - basic, and filled in my call sign, first and last name, and home base airport. Then I clicked Network - VATSIM, and typed in my UserID, Password, and the IP address for USA-E.

Afterwards, I exit back to just the FSInn control panel, and then click on Flights - Multiplayer - Connect. I type my name into the player name box, and 127.0.0.1 into the IP address box, and then click search. After about two seconds, FSInn appears in the sessions list. I select it, and click join. FS2002 thinks for a few seconds, but never does anything.