VATSIM.net

VATSIM's Global Discussion Community
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:24 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: VRC on Mac
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:14 am 

Hello. I know VRC wasn't created for a mac but I recently purchased Parallels and installed everything. The only problem I have is that the text bar in VRC and the left side of VRC is flashing and does not stay and the drop down menus in the menu bar do not work until you put your mouse over the items in the drop down menu? Anyone have this problem?

Thanks.

Attached is an image that I took and it doesn't have the text bar at all

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:50 am 

Doesn't help you, but it does work on VMWare. Initially there was a bug that locked up all of VMWare, but I reported it and they fixed it in the latest version.

And obviously, VRC would run stellar in Bootcamp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:16 am 

Wade Williams 877539 wrote:
Doesn't help you, but it does work on VMWare. Initially there was a bug that locked up all of VMWare, but I reported it and they fixed it in the latest version.

And obviously, VRC would run stellar in Bootcamp.
It sure does

I HATE VMWare...always found Parallels much better. However, if VMWare means controlling on my Mac, I might have to try it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:12 am 

Flawless on both VMWare and Boot Camp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:49 pm 

Note that if you use VMWare, you'll want to disable the UDP timeout to avoid voice dropouts after 60 seconds of inactivity until you transmit again:

In both:

/Library/Application Support/VMWare Fusion/vmnet-nat.conf

and

/Library/Application Support/VMWare Fusion/vmnet8/nat.conf

set:

[udp]
timeout = 60

to:

[udp]
timeout = 0

Post subject: Re: VRC on Mac
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:13 am 

Hey Guys, I got a question. I use VRC almost flawlessly on VMWare. I do have one small problem. When I press the transmit key, the little channel icon will go orange for a bit. Maybe 3-4 seconds. Then flicker green, and go back to orange for 3-4 seconds. This process repeats itself. When this happens all aircraft on my frequency hear me cut in and out and it gets pretty bad to the point where I have to use text. I was wondering if anyone had experienced this problem, and if they did, did they find a solution, so that when I transmit, it stays a solid orange.
Thanks for any help,
Ben

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:12 pm 

Ben Olson 1097752 wrote:
Hey Guys, I got a question. I use VRC almost flawlessly on VMWare. I do have one small problem. When I press the transmit key, the little channel icon will go orange for a bit. Maybe 3-4 seconds. Then flicker green, and go back to orange for 3-4 seconds. This process repeats itself. When this happens all aircraft on my frequency hear me cut in and out and it gets pretty bad to the point where I have to use text. I was wondering if anyone had experienced this problem, and if they did, did they find a solution, so that when I transmit, it stays a solid orange.
Thanks for any help,
Ben

have you tried wades sugestion above?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:35 pm 

Jeffrey Marques 990345 wrote:
Hello. I know VRC wasn't created for a mac but I recently purchased Parallels and installed everything. The only problem I have is that the text bar in VRC and the left side of VRC is flashing and does not stay and the drop down menus in the menu bar do not work until you put your mouse over the items in the drop down menu? Anyone have this problem?

Did you install the Parallels Tools after installing Windows? It's the same for VMware or for Parallels — you need different drivers to make your mouse and video work smoothly with the virtual machine, so that they aren't fighting with the host OS. Go to the Virtual Machine menu, and check for an Install Parallels Tools item, or a Reinstall Parallels Tools.

FWIW, VRC under Parallels 5 works like a charm for me. Just had to fix the modifier key behaviour, as mentioned here: http://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php?p=353832#p353832