VATSIM.net

VATSIM's Global Discussion Community
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:02 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:52 am 

Virtual Airlines and Pilots Alike.

I am looking at starting a newsletter every month. There will be editorials, pilot training, pilot services, real aviation news, virtual airline news, Virtual Aircraft for sale, and Virtual Position Openings from virtual airlines.

Are there any pilots or virtual airlines interested please let me know.

Peter J Holske
Westport Virtual Charters
President / CEO
Pholske@westportvirtual.com
[url=http://www.westportvirtual.com[/url]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:43 am 

Pete,

Virtual Airlines will DEFINITELY be interested in something like this. No-one will have any expressions for now but when you actually start something, they will all want to advertise through you. If you are willing to go ahead with the work that will require a fair bit of time and effort, then go ahead.

ON a first note, Legend of the Skies: Virtual Aerobatics will gladly be your first customer :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:12 am 

Hey Pete,

As a new pilot and VATSIM member, I definitely have interest in this. I'm trying to absorb everything I can, and something central like a newletter would be great.

Roddie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:06 am 

Smashing idea. I'm sure you'd get a lot of support as well. I have four years of Editor experience if you need hand in editing.

In fact, I can see this starting the uprise and creation of positions that have to do with Public Relations in VAs.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:35 am 

I have already started the newsletter. What I need now is VA's to be partners, buy the domain, and then we are game!

The newsletter site is going to have a Jobs Posting for all the virtual airlines, News around Virtual Aviation and Real Aviation, an Editorial's page and a Forum section.

I hope to grow this and have it become something special for Virtual Airlines that promote Aviation Real and Virtual.

Peter J Holske
President / CEO

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:20 am 

Give use a headsup when you have it Pete

Also, Legend of the Skies: Virtual Aerobatics can be your first affiliate VA
:)

Willing to help if you want as well

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:24 am 

Tried it. Go from monthly to seasonally. It is much easier on your team.

Come on kids! The more forum posts you have, the better!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:49 am 

You don't know my team obviously.

Good day SIR

Peter J Holske
President / CEO

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:19 am 

Pete Holske 833650 wrote:
You don't know my team obviously.
Good day SIR

Best of luck, but he's right - it's a marathon, not a sprint.

Cheers!

Luke

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:51 pm 

Do you have something to say about everything Luke?

Actually it is a website, and I really don't see anyone sprinting. What I have seen that you don't know about is, deals put together with successful REAL aviation magazines. News articles from partner VA's and other more detailed information. I really don't see the "sprint" involved, but thanks for your always charming and in depth view on everyone elses life.

GO DVA!

Peter J Holske
President / CEO

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:58 pm 

I just saw a simple suggestion and tip to make things easier on your part.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:23 pm 

Do you have something to say about everything Luke?

I'm at a loss as to what I've done to antagonize you in the past, but apparently I have. To be fair, you're in good company.

There have been plenty of efforts started regarding newsletters, web sites and the like about virtual airlines. Each has promised great content, regular updates and publicity for virtual airlines. They've all pretty much ceased, not because the majority of them were operated by incompetents or fools, but rather because consistently and regularly publishing interesting and informative content is hard. It's deceptively easy to do it once or twice, but if you get locked into a 30-day writing, editing and publishing cycle it slowly becomes like Chinese water torture.

You shouldn't be so combative and antagonistic towards people who are merely suggesting that your task is challenging and difficult, and not to be too confident. They wish you well. Despite your obvious dislike for me and the virtual airline I belong to that you have voiced publicly here, I too wish you well. If you succeed, it will be an asset to virtual airlines.

One caution I have - if you wish Virtual Airlines to be your "partners", you should be a little more careful in what public pronouncements you make about them, their staff and their pilots. Partnership needs to flow from mutual respect and assistance, and virtual airlines will need to know that you respect them and can assist them in growing and succeeding.

Cheers!

Luke

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:07 am 

Mr Williams,

My problem isn't with you just so you know. I thank you for your wisdom. However, this has been a well thought out plan, and we have several volunteers, and a "team" of real pilots who will write about experiences in their aviation careers.

This is not just about "virtual" aviation either. This is going to be a newsletter to get interest in our hobby, and the more important aviation as a whole. Numbers are declining of younger generations wanting to be pilots, and I am on my own personal crusade to stop that, and help the industry out in anyway I can, because I love it. If you have ever hung around people that really love aviation they can talk about it all day, even after they get done flying 8 hours, because they love it.

Luke, we have gone around about this many times. and I understand you do not need to advertise and do all the extras to help make your Virtual Airline bigger, because its the biggest. That is fine with me, but to me there is a greater cause then my virtual airline, your virtual airline or anyones virtual airline. That is aviation itself and virtual aviation. Nothing is stagnent in this world and it shows right now. Aviation numbers are dwindling, new students, new airlines, and aviation related jobs are being cut everyday. So, where does that leave virtual aviation? Also, how do you excite new pilots, or get new pilots virtually or in real life? That is my goal with the newsletter, not to put out what payware company is going to put out the best product, but relating real life stuff into a virtual world, Luke. Tell me about a time stuff, articles from aviation journals, articles about situations we have been in as real pilots, and everything to spark an aviation interest. If the newsletter gets 1 kid, or 1 grown man to take a lesson or persue aviation as a career, the newsletter is a success, and has helped the cause. If a virtual airline shows a blatent dis-regard for the greater cause, Luke, then I won't respect them and I don't want them as a partner.

So in all the newsletter is not about just one Virtual Airline, it is about showing the diversity of our hobby, and also trying to pump energy into an industry on life support right now. The question is Luke, are you on board to try to save it?

Peter J Holske
President / CEO

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:21 am 

Pete,

Like I said in my previous message, I wish you good luck with this venture of yours and I for one will be one to read it. I would also like to let you know that I have absolutely no problem with you either, and I have no interest in getting into a disagreement with anyone else around here. I appreciate the acknowledgement and wish you the best.

Austin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:57 am 

Luke, we have gone around about this many times. and I understand you do not need to advertise and do all the extras to help make your Virtual Airline bigger, because its the biggest. That is fine with me, but to me there is a greater cause then my virtual airline, your virtual airline or anyones virtual airline.

Pete, I think you're voicing some latent resentments here. I've been quite blunt in the past about what kinds of advertising work and do not work for us, but if you look very carefully at this thread you'll notice I've said no such thing regarding your current endeavor. I've only pointed out that it's difficult, and that I wish you well. I still do. What more do I need to do?

I've also cautioned you, and I will caution you again, regarding your responses. You seem to come across as defensive, and confrontational. No one has criticized you, no one has predicted failure. We have just provided suggestions and counseled some caution. I'm not sure what in that is worth getting angry about.

Quote:
So in all the newsletter is not about just one Virtual Airline, it is about showing the diversity of our hobby, and also trying to pump energy into an industry on life support right now. The question is Luke, are you on board to try to save it?

I would suggest that you tone down the rhetoric a notch or two. I recall reading stories about virtual airlines when I got my first copy of FS2000 and reading about how the VA "industry" was in a state of collapse and how things weren't as good as they were a few years before. Very little has changed in the intervening decade in terms of what I read, but a great deal has changed in terms of Virtual Airlines - for the positive. Much of what virtual airlines offer today in terms of pilot training, examination, realism levels and cooperation with real-world airlines dwarfs what was available to users in 2000.

So I wouldn't describe it as an industry on "life support". I think it's doing just fine. What I think has hampered us (and when I say "us" I refer to most of the virtual aviation ecosystem, not just VAs) is a shortage of good technologists and the ability to implement many of the great ideas I've seen and heard from a variety of different sources. We don't lack enthusiasm, good ideas, or potential members. We do, however, fall down on the implementation side, and no one escapes this particular arrow.

I'm not sure why you would question whether "onboard" assisting virtual airlines. My goal is to provide an enjoyable and educational virtual airline experience to our members, at every step of the journey. I clearly cannot please everyone, but I like to think that I (and many others) have each contributed a fair bit of time, energy and effort to a successful ecosystem. I suspect you'll see more in the future.

What more do you feel I should do?

Cheers!

Luke