VATSIM.net

VATSIM's Global Discussion Community
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:55 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:19 am 

Does anyone have any ideas for updating waypoints in FSX ? The DP that I've been trying to fly out of KATL is COKEM4 and there are several if not all waypoints that do not show up in FSX. Is it not that big a deal and do I just need to keep looking for a DP where they are listed ? Also, I've considered downloading the SP1 and SP2 for FSX, but I've noticed that it may affect 3rd party add ons, which I DO NOT want to take a chance on messing that up. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:25 am 

Lee, you NEED to install SP1 and 2, from experience, it won't interfere with anything. Additionally, they don't update the AIRAC cycle of FSX.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:29 am 

only one i know of is Graham's project but its FS9 only.
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=30992

dont know of any updates for the FSX ones. if you dont have the waypoints, dont file it, look for one that you do have. you should be able to handle the ATL5 dep just fine with the default waypoints, theyre in there, or should be anyway, they've been in the other FS versions by default

436th AW 9th AS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:24 am 

Hi Ernesto,

I have had several pilots confirming that the update does indeed work with
FSX as well as fs9.

Thanks for the plug ! :D

Best regards Graham

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:09 pm 

I'm not clear on one point about this update: Does it affect only waypoints, or are radio navigation aids (VORs, NDBs) updated as well, in the rare cases where they've changed frequencies or moved?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:28 pm 

Hi Anthony,

At this time the update provides only waypoints for the GPS, however in some cases if
not most a waypoint/intersection can be co-located with an NDB or VOR.

I ahve been using this update method for a few years now and never had a route I couldn't
navigate.

One word of warning though, since I have not found a way of removing the default
waypoints - it sometimes happens that when an intersection has moved or FS default
data was incorrect you can have two choices of waypoint ( the correct one or the incorrect
one). I have had this on a STAR, but just pick the one that gives the correct heading as
depicted on the STAR.

If anyone knows of a method of removing the default waypoints - I would love to here from them.

Best regards Graham

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:34 pm 

sweet thanks for the info graham, will be sure to pass it along :D

436th AW 9th AS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:57 pm 

Graham Mitchell 984314 wrote:
If anyone knows of a method of removing the default waypoints - I would love to here from them.

Thats not possible. One cannot delete anything from the fs stock scenery database, only overwrite.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:12 pm 

Can't you like add a blank out area? When working on sceneries, especially custom airports, you can define a square/rectangular area, could be polygonal but I only know the above, you can define the tags to reset this area and everything in it gets wiped out and provides me a clean scenery to overwrite with airport/rwys/taxiway and I have no shrubs sitting in my center line :). Will this tagging method also wipe out intersections and VORs? Its been a very long while but if needed, I can look up the tags if you would like.

Charan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:54 am 

Stefan Hueneburg 1062056 wrote:
Thats not possible. One cannot delete anything from the fs stock scenery database, only overwrite.

Of course you can - you just disable, remove or recompile the relevant BGL file.

Cheers!

Luke

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:11 am 

Luke Kolin 837789 wrote:
Of course you can - you just disable, remove or recompile the relevant BGL file.

Well you would need to decompile the relevant stock bgl, make your changes and recompile. I guess that might have some DCMA issues. And a decompiler like bglanalize may not be fully compatible with the binary bgl format.

In the airport environment, there are some more options, like deleting stock airport approaches when creating a new scenery.

cu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:28 am 

Hi Guys,

I have been trying to find the appropriate file(s) that contain the nav data - so far no luck.
I will keep looking but if anyone knows which file(s) conatain the data I would appreciate
a heads up.

PS. found the airways files - I'll have a proper look at those later.

Thanks.

Best regards Graham

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:25 am 

Lee Ridgeway 1124048 wrote:
Also, I've considered downloading the SP1 and SP2 for FSX

What? You're running FSX without updates? You do realize that FSX will get about twice as fast with SP1, do you?

It hasn't affected any add-ons on my system. In fact, I've got a few add-ons that require at least SP1.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:02 pm 

Stefan Hueneburg 1062056 wrote:
Well you would need to decompile the relevant stock bgl, make your changes and recompile. I guess that might have some DCMA issues.

The data isn't encrypted, and I doubt it's even able to be copyrighted - it's a derivative work of something that was in the public domain.

But considering the number of BGL decompilers, AIR file editors and the like, it's safe to say that Microsoft is far more interested in creating and maintaining a viable ecosystem around FS.

Luke

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:01 pm 

Hi there Lee, This is a Dilemma that i faced when i first switched over to FSX about a year ago. As you may or may not know, FSnav is not compatible with FSX nor are they making one for FSX. I thought I was screwed when i heard this. But if you use simroutes and download the flight plan you should be good to go. it can be a little tedious working with cause you have to make sure all the numbers are there when you download the flight plan and such. But if you want some help with simroutes just let me know and i can lay out the steps to properly downloading a flight plan and loading it into FSX.