VATSIM.net

VATSIM's Global Discussion Community
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:53 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Tower view in FSX
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:41 pm 

Brian, at first it looked like it would work, but it turns out it doesn't.

Ross, if you were to do that it would be so incredibly awesome

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:01 am 

Well, I got part way there. The guys that wrote the networking layer that VRC uses added a proxy port to it, which allows other client software (such as FSInn) to connect to VRC and receive all the info that VRC receives from the network, such as the position data for other aircraft in the area.

Unfortunately, FSInn connects to VRC fine, but it doesn't display any aircraft. I suspect this is because the proxy port in VRC is one-way, meaning it only forwards to FSInn data that it receives from the server. It does not take any data from FSInn and forward it to the server. Perhaps FSInn is sending out requests for model and livery info and not getting any responses, and thus not adding the planes to the multiplayer session.

If I ever find some more free time, I'll hack at it some more, and probably discuss with Gergely to see what approach he took for the proxy in ES.

Edit: Worked on this a bit more tonight, found that I just needed to tweak the FSInn multiplayer settings a bit. It is now showing aircraft, but they're all in the same model and livery as the aircraft I have loaded in FSX. I assume that's because VRC is not passing any model or livery data to FSInn. I believe I'll need to tweak the proxy to allow FSInn to request model and livery data from the server. No promises as to when I'll have the time to work on that, but it is on my todo list. :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:41 am 

Ross Carlson 887155 wrote:
Well, I got part way there. The guys that wrote the networking layer that VRC uses added a proxy port to it, which allows other client software (such as FSInn) to connect to VRC and receive all the info that VRC receives from the network, such as the position data for other aircraft in the area.

Unfortunately, FSInn connects to VRC fine, but it doesn't display any aircraft. I suspect this is because the proxy port in VRC is one-way, meaning it only forwards to FSInn data that it receives from the server. It does not take any data from FSInn and forward it to the server. Perhaps FSInn is sending out requests for model and livery info and not getting any responses, and thus not adding the planes to the multiplayer session.

If I ever find some more free time, I'll hack at it some more, and probably discuss with Gergely to see what approach he took for the proxy in ES.

Edit: Worked on this a bit more tonight, found that I just needed to tweak the FSInn multiplayer settings a bit. It is now showing aircraft, but they're all in the same model and livery as the aircraft I have loaded in FSX. I assume that's because VRC is not passing any model or livery data to FSInn. I believe I'll need to tweak the proxy to allow FSInn to request model and livery data from the server. No promises as to when I'll have the time to work on that, but it is on my todo list. :)

That would be amazing!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:22 pm 

If using FSHost Client for FSX works, here is how you can have a "Tower View" if you have Deluxe. Start a local network MP session as tower at the airport of your choice, then you save the flight. you then load it in free flight, connect to vatsim and you are done.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:55 pm 

Taylor Broad 1152158 wrote:
If using FSHost Client for FSX works, here is how you can have a "Tower View" if you have Deluxe. Start a local network MP session as tower at the airport of your choice, then you save the flight. you then load it in free flight, connect to vatsim and you are done.

Can't prime a frequency and actively control that way tho.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:09 am 

Daniel Hawton 876594 wrote:

You cannot control that way, but this will work if you know what you are doing. You use FSX for the cab view, then you can do the rest.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:13 am 

Daniel Hawton 876594 wrote:

You cannot control that way, but this will work if you know what you are doing. You use FSX for the cab view, then you can do the rest.

Doing it in that method will not connect you as ATC. So you are really observing not controlling.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:58 pm 

Matt Porter 1157370 wrote:
Using FSHostClient is a waste of time. The only option I found that worked was to follow the steps below.

1. Open Notepad and type "localhost localhost" without the quotations then save it as "myservers.txt" in your VRC folder.

2. Download and install Euroscope/CANScope. Now choose the appropriate sector file and click "CONNECT" in the top right corner. Choose to connect directly to VATSIM and fill in your login information. Make sure the proxyconnct is running as "localhost". Once you've connected minimize Euroscope.

3. Back to VRC, go File > Connect and connect to "localhost".

4. Follow the steps here to connect FSX to Euroscope via FSINN and FSCopilot.

Tried this and it does not work, how did you get that working? i followed each step. thanks mate, appreciated