VATSIM.net

VATSIM's Global Discussion Community
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:59 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:29 pm 

nVidia has put together a sample configuration for running their 8800, 7600GT and 7300GS cards (more cards are found in a link at the bottom of the page) with FSX. Obviously they didn't factor in the compuer its running on, but may be of interest for those who want to tweak their system.

http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_fsx_techtips.html

I find it quite interesting that they turn down the settings on scenery to a very low value, but crank up most everything else. Actually just about everything on the ground is minimized. I wonder if that says something about how the cards handle textures.....

Also, they have an application that will check to see if your system is FSX capable. Havent tried it yet but am curious how well it works, and what the parameters are for 'success' in running FSX.

http://www.nzone.com/content/nzone/srl/ ... ameid=3892

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:23 pm 

Brad,

Thanks for the link. Instead of them coming up with applications to test your system I would have prefeered a fix for their 8800 gtx drivers so it can run with DX10 without crashing...

The settings list is interesting though.

Regards
N405HT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:00 pm 

I just tried most of those settings. If you don't want to see anything like terminals at the airport etc., then I guess it's alright. Remember who suggested the settings. :wink:
Might as well use FS9, with their suggestions. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:13 pm 

Interesting test. My machine just passed the recommended test without achieving maximum points on much yet I get the excellent FPS in the linked screenshot below (FSX, LevelD, ASX with Xgraphics. TS and FSC running as well). For ref: AMD 4400 X2, ATi X850 256 vid card, 2gb PC3200 RAM. So it's no monster machine at all, in fact over 2 years old, perhaps therefore proof that hardware isn't everything with FSX, you absolutely have to set everything up properly! FYI those FPS were averaging around the 35 mark, sometimes as high as 70 sometimes down to 25.

http://www.casey.tgis.co.uk/web/vatsim/sky.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:38 pm 

Larry Dowell 944865 wrote:
I just tried most of those settings. If you don't want to see anything like terminals at the airport etc., then I guess it's alright. Remember who suggested the settings. :wink:
Might as well use FS9, with their suggestions. :P

Larry, I agree. It seems to be primarily tweaked for the experience once you are aloft. I don't know who at nVidia actually worked them up..my understanding is that they originated from nVidia's tseting..whatever that may be.

On an aside, I made some other changes to my fsx.cfg file and then applied the nVidia recommened settings, and then went ahead an maxed out everything except traffic, and I average about 20fps on approach to a scenery dense airport (I easily get 35 fps at FL350) when flying the Wilco Airbus v2, which sucks up fps in the VC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:46 pm 

For those that have nVidia graphics cards, below is a URL that will detect which card you have and then check to see if you have the latest drivers for it.

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Scan.aspx?lang=en-us

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:30 pm 

And what works for one system, may not work for another, even though they are the same. So we need to try different suggestions and see what happens.
As a side note. I worked with a fellow VA member a few months back, and had FSX running very well, with most sliders maxed. Then while trying yet another tweak, all hell broke loose, and I had to do a total reinstall, starting with XP. We went through the tweaks again, fellow member and I, and it was not as good as the first time, I've got shimmering, taxi lines, edge of buidlings etc. I think I've done every tweak for that irritating problem. I could kick myself in the [Mod - Happy Thoughts] for trying the tweak in the first place. Damn, it was running good too, ( HEAD BANG ).
So now I am looking for that ultimate shimmering tweak. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:33 pm 

Using a BFG 8800Ultra, driver GeForce Release 174 BETA seems to have fixed the Anti-Aliasing problems with FS9 and FSX, if anyone is interrested.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:39 am 

Oliver Smith 864808 wrote:
Using a BFG 8800Ultra, driver GeForce Release 174 BETA seems to have fixed the Anti-Aliasing problems with FS9 and FSX, if anyone is interrested.

Cheers

Great tip, Oliver. How stable is that beta release? How close to production release is it, do you know?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:46 am 

Brad Scarlett 863372 wrote:
Oliver Smith 864808 wrote:

Cheers

Great tip, Oliver. How stable is that beta release? How close to production release is it, do you know?

It's hard to tell, though I've had no problems at all with it. The last stable came out in December 07 so a new one should be due out soon.

Release notes are available here. (note this driver is for XP 32Bit, Vista version also available)

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:29 pm 

hi guy s am running the following and it's giving me 79fps:
nvidia 680sli motherboard
250 hd
3 g memory
ati 3870 graphic card
680 powersupply. this is what am running for my fs9 on the fsx i get 32fps and when i connect to sq box i get 36fps i my by the ati 3870x2 so i could get better etting on the fsx.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:11 am 

Nice setup Tito. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:06 pm 

Brad: to me if you look at the settings they seem to imply that its not the graphics but the autogen thats the problem. Notice how everything is set to max except the two autogens. Probably why they're on seperate cores now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 10:56 pm 

Personally I doubt I'll give up on FSX settings until i get a Quad Core 4.0 But I just found a nice change to the default Nvidia Control Panel. First make sure you have the previous settings mentioned in this thread.. Except for the one that says Direct X10 make sure the preview mode is off. If you have DX10 this tweak seems to do very little.

The first option is Aniso aliasing.. make sure thats on application control. then check the Multidisplay/mixed gpu and set this to Single-Display. And the most important tweak change the Thread Optimization to OFF. I have no idea what games need this setting but FSX isn't one of them!!!!!!!!!!! ;) Anyways try them out and let me know how many additional FPS you get... if any.