VATSIM.net

VATSIM's Global Discussion Community
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:33 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:07 am 

Hi. I happily run FS9 under Vista, with either FSInn or SB3.
After installing Trend Micro Internet Security Pro, I get the "Lobby Launch Failed" error when trying to connect with either of the two clients. So, it is not a Fsinn problem, or a SB3 problem strictly speaking, because it's happening with both clients. For troubleshooting, I have allowed the 3 core FSInn .exe in the firewall, then I disabled the firewall alltogether, and I still get the same error.
Uninstalling TrendMicro will enable me to connect successfully again. Reinstalling TrendMicro will give me the same problem. I read about UpnP, so i tried disabling, reenabling, no luck.
There must be a way. What am I missing? Ports? Even when I turn off the firewall?
Please.... I'm loosing precious sleep :roll: I am sure some of you have the answer(s) Thank you in advance.
FS9.1, Vista, DX10, 8800Ultra, 4GB Ram

Last edited by Antonio Palmieri 821108 on Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:49 am 

Hi, Antonio. I'm very impressed with the apparent research on the forums you've done preceding your post.

You might try running fs9tool.exe ( http://flightsim.apollo3.com ) which often resolves lobby connection issues (from the FSInn FAQ link). However, it might not resolve the connection issue that you're third party Firewall/Antivirus program is causing.

You might have to contact the support people of TrendMicro and ask them how to give full access to the applications. If an application has full access, opening ports wouldn’t matter, because they would already have access to the ports.

I’ve never done anything regarding ports with FSInn. Any router, wireless adapter, or any network device I’ve used has always worked. As far as ports, you might look at this thread, where to my surprised opening up ports made a difference:

Detailed Information Needed
http://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php?t=26919

I would be interested in how you make out, and maybe try some experiments to help.

-- L. James

--
L. D. James
ljames@apollo3.com
www.apollo3.com/~ljames

For FSInn/VATSIM issues, please test the FSInn Installation sticky and linked FAQ. It really works!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:35 am 

Larry - Thank you for your reply. Meanwhile I've done some more troubleshooting.

I cannot see other traffic, and it has to do with the internal mechanics of FS9, Windows, Directplay, Multiplayer and so on, of which unfortunately I don't understand enough. Anyone who can help, please do so. My goal is to have SB3 and/or FsInn connecting to multiplayer automatically again and working correctly (which was the case before I installed TrendMicro)

With:
a. FSInn - I get the "Lobby Launch Failed" error, after which I connect to multiplayer manually via the File > Multiplayer > Connect menu in FS9. I can log in on to VATSIM, get ATC lists, tune freqs, I am seen by ATC, but I cannot see any traffic

b. SB3 - I don't get the "Lobby launch failed" error, I can connect to the network, I am seen by ATC, but I cannot see any traffic

Quote:
You might try running fs9tool.exe
I see that this tool helps when there may be errors with FS9 installation, ie folder location etc and registry. I am 99.9% certain this is not the prob. FS9 is installed fresh, clean, no probs in the reg. And as I'm on Vista I was thinking...."don't fix it if it ain't broken" :)
Quote:
You might have to contact the support people of TrendMicro and ask them how to give full access to the applications. If an application has full access, opening ports wouldn’t matter, because they would already have access to the ports.
Very good point. I have granted full access to FS9.exe, FSFDT.exe, FSINN Ui.exe, FWinn.exe
On the suggested thread , http://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php?t=26919 , I read
Quote:
6809 TCP Aircraft position updates and general network data Outgoing - generally no forwarding needed.
3782 TCP+UDP Voice communications Outgoing - generally no forwarding needed.
3290 UDP Voice communications MUST be forwarded through your router!

Are these ports only relevant for controllers' clients or also for pilot clients? If I already granted full access to the programs mentioned above, should I still open these ports?

So... If I can connect successfully without trendmicro installed, it means my system is probably set up correctly.
I believe the firewall is preventing something to do with the way multiplayer communicates with FS9.
What?? How to fix it?
I found an old post (2003) about a MSDirectplay helper in windows. I granted full access to that application too, but no help.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:47 pm 

Antonio Palmieri 821108 wrote:
Larry - Thank you for your reply. Meanwhile I've done some more troubleshooting.

I cannot see other traffic, and it has to do with the internal mechanics of FS9, Windows, Directplay, Multiplayer and so on, of which unfortunately I don't understand enough. Anyone who can help, please do so. My goal is to have SB3 and/or FsInn connecting to multiplayer automatically again and working correctly (which was the case before I installed TrendMicro)

With:
a. FSInn - I get the "Lobby Launch Failed" error, after which I connect to multiplayer manually via the File > Multiplayer > Connect menu in FS9. I can log in on to VATSIM, get ATC lists, tune freqs, I am seen by ATC, but I cannot see any traffic

b. SB3 - I don't get the "Lobby launch failed" error, I can connect to the network, I am seen by ATC, but I cannot see any traffic

Quote:
You might try running fs9tool.exe
I see that this tool helps when there may be errors with FS9 installation, ie folder location etc and registry. I am 99.9% certain this is not the prob. FS9 is installed fresh, clean, no probs in the reg. And as I'm on Vista I was thinking...."don't fix it if it ain't broken" :)

In this case, since it’s broken, you might do the suggested steps to fix it. The steps I gave you work.

Quote:
Quote:
Very good point. I have granted full access to FS9.exe, FSFDT.exe, FSINN Ui.exe, FWinn.exe
On the suggested thread , http://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php?t=26919 , I read
Quote:
6809 TCP Aircraft position updates and general network data Outgoing - generally no forwarding needed.

Are these ports only relevant for controllers' clients or also for pilot clients? If I already granted full access to the programs mentioned above, should I still open these ports?

I’ve never done anything with ports, in any case on any of my machines. I’m run a couple of routers, wireless adapters, ranger expanders and never had a problem. There’s no reference in the manual for a necessity for any port configuration of checking except for users who are trying to connect P2P. Connecting peer-to-peer isn’t necessary for connecting and flying on VATSIM.

If you want to use P2P connection, you can select any port of your choosing and go into the Peer To Peer section of the Inn Control panel and configure FSInn to use that port. It’ll use 32062 by default.

Separate from my knowledge and experience you can look at the following link for consideration:

Detailed Information Needed
http://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php?t=26919

Quote:
So... If I can connect successfully without trendmicro installed, it means my system is probably set up correctly.
I believe the firewall is preventing something to do with the way multiplayer communicates with FS9.
What?? How to fix it?
I found an old post (2003) about a MSDirectplay helper in windows. I granted full access to that application too, but no help.

If you’re saying you’ve contacted Trend Micro and they couldn’t figure it out, it might be unlikely that you’ll figure it out. I know the developers of Zone Alarm couldn’t figure out how to give access to MSN Messenger to one of their versions. Their resolution was to make a new version. I’m also familiar with McAfee’s developers not being able to figure out how to make one of their versions work with Flight Simulator. They made a new version.

Maybe you can figure out what the developers of those other applications couldn’t.

-- L. James

--
L. D. James
ljames@apollo3.com
www.apollo3.com/~ljames

For FSInn/VATSIM issues, please test the FSInn Installation sticky and linked FAQ. It really works!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:11 pm 

Why not just publish an exact list of all the ports and protocols used by VATSIM on the VATSIM site, so that people can configure their firewalls correctly?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:45 pm 

Ciao Antonio,

Quote:

This isn't relevant to the pilot clients, so let's forget about it.

Also, did you forward UDP port 10239 to your machine (for FSInn)?

Is TrendMicro the only firewall between you and the internet? Perhaps Windows Firewall (or whatever it's called in Vista) is also active?

Quote:

Are you talking about C:\WINDOWS\system32\dpnsvr.exe ? If not, try granting full access to this application (path is taken from WinXP, not sure if it's the same in Vista).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:33 pm 

I also had the same problem after installing avast anti-virus. I uninstalled avast and installed AVG and never had a problem since. There have been others with the same problem with other anti-virus clients. There is a good thread on this subject in the FSInn forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:16 pm 

Explanation: For FS2004 (i.e. FS9), Squawkbox 3 (SB3) do use local TCP/IP DirectX FS-Multiplayer connection only to make VATSIM aircrafts visible for you in your FS. Other data-tranfer to FS2004 use other technologies, SB3 use FSUIPC Memory mapping for other data-transfer.

Due to the explanation, a router outside the PC should not be the source of problem, but any PC firewall such as antivirus with built in firewall. If you have router then you may try turn off firewall in antivirus (notice you lose the possible of blocking outgoing unwanted IP-traffic).

For the antivirus I have no good suggest but to verify if it really is the antivirus.
Try an uninstall of antivirus in PC (uninstall is typical the only way to complete disable an antivirus). MAKE SURE you have firewall, a router or XP built in firewall enabled. Note you may need uninstall antivirus. I shouldnt worry to try a flight just connect to VATSIM without antivirus, ive fly VATSIM two year without any antivirus since I only run FS on that HDD. If antivirus is the problem, you may consider an other antivirus such as any recommended.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:26 pm 

It may take a phone call to Trend Micro tech support to work thing one out, some of the AV / Firewall software out there have extras like adware blockers and so on that cause issues with Multi-player games for the net. Did you buy Trend Micro Internet Security Pro? If you are on a trail version look at something like AVG and ZoneAlarm, both are free and cause no issues with FS, SB, FSInn or any other internet game. Software like Norton, McAfee and NOD32 have work arounds for them, but you real need to know the software.

If you do work out the fix please post it and I can add it to my list of work arounds

http://www.CanadianXpress.ca

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:25 pm 

since the last AVG update, it has provoked the problem to me.

Without any antivirus (all uninstalled and leaving Windows FIrewall on), everything worked fine again.

And this has bugged me since...

Should i even run my comp without an antivirus just for VATSIM?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:53 am 

Hi Yvan.

Sorry to hear you're experiencing this problem. Just a quick line to say that running your system without any antivirus is not a good idea. I would not recommend it and it would be better to find a workaround.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:25 pm 

Yvan !

The antivirus problem is typical a FS9 (and earlier) problem.

If you have verify it is antivirus problem, you can go to FSX, go for another antivirus if you find anyone work with FS9, or run without antivirus.

I should say it is no problem to fly VATSIM without antivirus, the risk comes when google for any other purposes.

You may find some explanation and tip in this topic:

http://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php? ... 543#273368

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:58 pm 

Same problem here. I have been a HUGE fan of AVG until about 7 days ago. AVG's latest update seems to shut down FS9 now as well. Where do I turn for a great anti-virus that won't kill multi-player games.?

Lloyd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:58 pm 

I have found, Using WinXP and FS9:
Avira (free) antivirus works ok with AVSIM and Squawkbox.
However, ZoneAlarm (free) cause problems with Squawkbox.
So, I have to shut down ZoneAlarm (free) for on line flights.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:58 pm 

Guys,

It looks like any antivirus that utilizes the Windows CFD (Common Firewall Driver) will cause traffic to become invisible. Microsoft have released a hotfix (not available through Windows Update yet) that fixes the bug. Looks like the antivirus vendors are not to blame in this case.

More info in this thread.

Sorry for crossposting, but given the amount of users who are experiencing this problem, I think this needs attention.

Best regards,

Mike