VATSIM.net

VATSIM's Global Discussion Community
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:33 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:01 pm 

Can anyone help??

I have looked throughout your initial suggestions on the FAQ and first stick posting but cannot find an answer to the following specific question

I am running the most up to date FSInn and co pilot on windows vista 32bit with FS2004. It took me a while but I'm all connected and the ATC when connected to VATSIM is great. However I cannot see any other traffic in the skies or on the ground even at Heathrow and I can hear the tower giving clearance to them to land and take off but I just cant see any other traffic whatsoever when connected to VATSIM through FSInn

I do additionally have Visual flight London Installed (which only adjusts london itself and only affects London City Airport)

I also have Mega airport London Heathrow installed

I also have Just Flight traffic 2005 installed.

However I have adjusted the AI traffic slider in FS2004 to zero and do not actvate the AI smooth for Just Flight.

In addition I have tried flying from Stanstead which is not affected by any of the add ons and the tower there was manned and using ServInfo could see that a number of planes were taking off and I could hear them via the tower but could not see them or any other traffic.

Is there anything I can do to actually be able to see the live traffic as they take off, fly and land at the various airports??

Many thanks for any help you can give

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:43 pm 

Clint Wallis 1078533 wrote:
Can anyone help??

I have looked throughout your initial suggestions on the FAQ and first stick posting but cannot find an answer to the following specific question

I am running the most up to date FSInn and co pilot on windows vista 32bit with FS2004. It took me a while but I'm all connected and the ATC when connected to VATSIM is great.

I don’t know what you did that took a while, but many say they can follow the install steps of the first message in four minutes.

The install, as you might notice is very simple. If there are problems, the possible issues are itemized, and almost always are a result (as mention in the install sticky) of a third party firewall/antivirus program.

Quote:
However I cannot see any other traffic in the skies or on the ground even at Heathrow and I can hear the tower giving clearance to them to land and take off but I just cant see any other traffic whatsoever when connected to VATSIM through FSInn

This frequently asked question is addressed in the FAQ (suggested reference of the bold item #1 of the please read before posting in this forum sticky). It’s question # 13 (“Why can’t I see Aircraft on VATSIM?â€

For FSInn/VATSIM issues, please test the FSInn Installation sticky and linked FAQ. It really works!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:46 am 

Dear All,

I have the same problem:

1) PC configuration: Dell 4 processor, Vista32, FSX and FS9, FSCopilot 1.7 B2_4 and FSInn 1.3 B2_3

2) The appearance: a) on FS9 AND FSX Vatsim and also Voice and also Chat and FP and everything works fine.

3) In FSX I can see the other planes, in FS 9 I cannot see any other plane

4) Checked in the FSInn menu for the planes all informationes of the planes appear in the menu

5) I checked already all the hints I could find.

6) I assume that it is NOT a router problem, as from another computer connected to the same router under FS9 and XP and FSCopilot 1.6 and FSInn FS2 all plaes are shown correct

7) I use McAffe Firewall and AntiVirus. The access rights for all FSInn and FSCopilot are set to fully access

8) Also the user access control of Vista is switched off

9) On all directories relevant for FS9 and FSX and FSInn and FSCopilot full access rights granted and programs running as administrator.

has someone an idea what could be the reason that FSInn/FSCopilot dont show the airplanes from other online VATSIM pilots

I think I cannot do more at the moment until to wait when this (GREAT) software FSInn and FSCopilot is available in a stable version

10) By the way: the hint in the forums for disabling the Tuner in the Copilot settings to avoid the FS9 and FSX crashes at program end was very helpful and works pretty good

11) By the way: I tried to deinstall FSInn/FSCopilot and install SB4.x (but this is also a Beta version): when installing this software it even didnt work and I always become an empty server list.

I meanwhile realle regret to changed to VISTA and I hope all the software community would become more mature regarding "Interoperability". Because with all this instable high featured tools the fun of online flying declines. ;-)

Nice greetings

Rudolf, AUA373

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:48 am 

Rudolf Siebenhofer 849972 wrote:
Dear All,

I have the same problem:

Then the answer is the same as given to the other user. Carefully following the suggestions of the please read before posting in this forum would almost certainly resolve your issue(s), or give us cause to update the published fixes.

If the published fixes fails, as mentioned in the bold item #3 of that message, let us know exactly how you performed the published fix so that we will know it’s failing.

Quote:
1) PC configuration: Dell 4 processor, Vista32, FSX and FS9, FSCopilot 1.7 B2_4 and FSInn 1.3 B2_3

2) The appearance: a) on FS9 AND FSX Vatsim and also Voice and also Chat and FP and everything works fine.

3) In FSX I can see the other planes, in FS 9 I cannot see any other plane

There’s a published fix for this by no indication that you performed it.

Quote:
4) Checked in the FSInn menu for the planes all informationes of the planes appear in the menu

5) I checked already all the hints I could find.

6) I assume that it is NOT a router problem, as from another computer connected to the same router under FS9 and XP and FSCopilot 1.6 and FSInn FS2 all plaes are shown correct

7) I use McAffe Firewall and AntiVirus. The access rights for all FSInn and FSCopilot are set to fully access

As mentioned in the published fixes, checking the rights from many third partify firewall/antivirus programs (especially McAfee) isn’t always sufficient to give access to many programs.

Quote:
8) Also the user access control of Vista is switched off

Not recommended. There might be a method using this that would work. But I would recommend using your default Windows setup and the published procedure first, before doing such drastic changes.

Quote:
9) On all directories relevant for FS9 and FSX and FSInn and FSCopilot full access rights granted and programs running as administrator.

It probably won’t hurt anything, but it absolutely won’t help anything.

Quote:
has someone an idea what could be the reason that FSInn/FSCopilot dont show the airplanes from other online VATSIM pilots

Yes. It mentioned in the two messages indicated in the bold item #1 of the please read before posting in this forum sticky.
Quote:
I think I cannot do more at the moment until to wait when this (GREAT) software FSInn and FSCopilot is available in a stable version

10) By the way: the hint in the forums for disabling the Tuner in the Copilot settings to avoid the FS9 and FSX crashes at program end was very helpful and works pretty good

11) By the way: I tried to deinstall FSInn/FSCopilot and install SB4.x (but this is also a Beta version): when installing this software it even didnt work and I always become an empty server list.

I meanwhile realle regret to changed to VISTA and I hope all the software community would become more mature regarding "Interoperability". Because with all this instable high featured tools the fun of online flying declines. ;-)

Nice greetings

Rudolf, AUA373

-- L. James

--
L. D. James
ljames@apollo3.com
www.apollo3.com/~ljames

For FSInn/VATSIM issues, please test the FSInn Installation sticky and linked FAQ. It really works!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:59 pm 

With regards to the Rudolf comments who appears to have a similar set up to that of my system. My Antivirus is ESET -Nod 32 and I have the basic Zone Alarm Firewall.

Windows Firewall is disabled and I have also turned off the the Windows Vista UAC which was a recommendation elsewhere on the connecting to VATSIM forums. This actually allowed me to connect to VATSIM so turning it back on prevents me from connecting.

The posted reply keeps referring to the previous sticky which basically suggets not just configuring the firewall/anti-virus to allow the files listed but actually unistalling them all together. When considering that they suggets turning off the UAC is risky surely unistalling your own firewall and anti-virus is far more of a risk considering you have to be online to use VATSIM to have online flying leaving your system vulnerable to attack.

So as of yet I haven't tried that. Nothing else seems to work. I simply can't see any traffic but they appear on the FSinn radar.
I haven't found out yet whether or not i'm visible to other users as traffic.

I as of yet have not tried to see if this issue is caused by the add ons I have aswell or whether it is just the anti-virus and or firewall as suggested.

Rudolf do you have any add ons to your FS9 such as I have or other different ones for that matter or is it just FS9 alone you have installed along with FSInn and Co-pilot. Knowing it may narrow down the cause of this if not then it may in fact just be our firewalls and anti-virus??

If so then it seems the only way to succeed on this issue, with this system set up, is to uninstall a/virus and firewall prior to everytime you want conduct online flying I feel I will have to continue without seeing any traffic which unfortuantely destroys the realism of the whole online flying experience.

And I agree it seems a shame that Microsoft hasn't designed vista to be as compatible with such software as their previous windows versions.

Anyone else have any suggestions or had similar problems now or in the past??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:33 pm 

With regards to the Rudolf comments who appears to have a similar set up to that of my system. My Antivirus is ESET -Nod 32 and I have the basic Zone Alarm Firewall.

Many third party antivirus firwall/antivirus programs (especially Zone Alarm) are very rampant often even for the firewall developers themselves. There was a version of Zone Alarm that never could be configured to work with MSN Messenger. All the paid subscribers of that version of Zone Alarm had to downgrade until the Zone Alarm developers could fix it (in a new version).

Quote:
Windows Firewall is disabled and I have also turned off the the Windows Vista UAC which was a recommendation elsewhere on the connecting to VATSIM forums. This actually allowed me to connect to VATSIM so turning it back on prevents me from connecting.

So far I have never seen a program that was not compatible with Windows Firewall. Because of this I would never recommend turning Windows Firewall off. I also find the UAC to be a nice secondary security that many might benefit from.

Quote:
The posted reply keeps referring to the previous sticky which basically suggets not just configuring the firewall/anti-virus to allow the files listed but actually unistalling them all together. When considering that they suggets turning off the UAC is risky surely unistalling your own firewall and anti-virus is far more of a risk considering you have to be online to use VATSIM to have online flying leaving your system vulnerable to attack.

The “they suggest(s)â€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:17 pm 

Ok I unistalled both zone alarm firewall and eset nod 32 anti-virus. And activated windows firewall. As suggested by your good self it all worked I can now see traffic and assume I myself can be seen by other traffic. However my computer is now without an anti-virus. Is there any good anti-virus software out there that is compatible with FS2009 and FSInn and Co-pilot and VATSIM. I checked with Microsoft and they have an anti-virus and firewall package called "Windows Live One Care".

Would you know if this is compatible as it is a windows product???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:01 pm 

Ok I unistalled both zone alarm firewall and eset nod 32 anti-virus. And activated windows firewall. As suggested by your good self it all worked I can now see traffic and assume I myself can be seen by other traffic. However my computer is now without an anti-virus. Is there any good anti-virus software out there that is compatible with FS2009 and FSInn and Co-pilot and VATSIM. I checked with Microsoft and they have an anti-virus and firewall package called "Windows Live One Care".

Would you know if this is compatible as it is a windows product???

So far I haven't seen any compatibility problems with the Microsoft Product. I’m also seen many occasions where uninstalling the offending third party firewall, getting the application working with it uninstalled, then reinstalling the same offending third party firewall worked.

Take a look at:

recommendations for Virus Protection:
http://forums.vatsim.net/search.php?mode=results

-- L. James

--
L. D. James
ljames@apollo3.com
www.apollo3.cm/~ljames

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:16 pm 

Since that link returns a blank Search screen, I can tell you that both BitDefender and AVG work well with FSInn/Vatsim, I've used them both very extensively (thousands of Vatsim hours). Of course any AV product is only as good as the last virus that it stopped so you can never be 100% sure. The BitDefender firewall can be a bit troublesome with FSInn but you can switch that off "on the fly" and use Windows Firewall instead; the AV element is fine as long as one turns off "auto update" while flying, you can guarantee it'll try and update on short final! Same goes for AVG and of course it's free (for now).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:22 pm 

Bill Casey 907213 wrote:
Since that link returns a blank Search screen

Thanks Bill for the notice. I meant:

recommendations for Virus Protection:
http://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php? ... protection

-- L. James

--
L. D. James
ljames@apollo3.com
www.apollo3.com/~ljames

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:20 pm 

Thank you for your help. I have contacted ESET Nod 32 support giving them full details about my problem and they will get back to me shortly. I will let you know the outcome. I have read the other forum as well and one person mentions they had no problem with NOD32 so hopefully it is something simple. I have seen the other advice re other AV but I trust NOD32 it has never let anything through and doesn't slow system like Norton used to and it's easy to use. I'll keep you posted.