You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Overclocking w/ Changes

John Graham 1036677

John Graham 1036677
Posted
Posted

Hi

I am looking at overclocking my E8500 (currently clocked at the standard 3.16 GHz) to 3.4 GHz to 3.6 GHz. I understand that overclocking WILL reduce the life time of my processor. Although I would be able and ready to replace it at any time, I am very interested in keeping it a live as long as possible.

Most of the time I go onto my computer I don't use flight sim. During these times there is no need for an overclocked processor. But the 1/8 of a time I am using FS. So I am wondering if it is possible to automatically select which clock speed I want during start up or something instead of having to do it manually everytime.

Or do you guys think that at 3.6 it wouldn't reduce the life of the processor that much.

Thanks

asb4.jpg

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted
Or do you guys think that at 3.6 it wouldn't reduce the life of the processor that much.

I've found that the most common cause of CPU death is obsolescence, not overclocking.

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

Aggrey Ellis 964561
Posted
Posted

It won't really do much. I have my cpu at a 50% overclock and yes it may last 5 years instead of the manufacturer's spec of 15 but I'll probably get a new CPU in 3 yrs anyway.

ZLA I11

VATCAF S1

et_1.png

• 2 weeks later...
Nuriel Shem-Tov 1120623
Posted
Posted
Hi

I am looking at overclocking my E8500 (currently clocked at the standard 3.16 GHz) to 3.4 GHz to 3.6 GHz. I understand that overclocking WILL reduce the life time of my processor. Although I would be able and ready to replace it at any time, I am very interested in keeping it a live as long as possible.

Most of the time I go onto my computer I don't use flight sim. During these times there is no need for an overclocked processor. But the 1/8 of a time I am using FS. So I am wondering if it is possible to automatically select which clock speed I want during start up or something instead of having to do it manually everytime.

Thanks

Hi John,

I have intel E8400 which I've been playing a lot around with. Been overclocking from original 3Ghz to 3.6 and 3.8.

One ofcourse must make sure he knows what he is doing, as you set higher voltage and need good cooling when overclocking. Remember that some things can always go wrong when o/c: For instance dont EVER do a bios update when you are overclocked...

I think what is more important (after many tests I've made regarding performance) that CPU and RAM ration will be 1:1 and get your RAM to run the best timing it can give you.

After which you can overclock but I didnt see that much difference. I did see more difference when getting my RAM timings down to 4-4-4-12 when they used to be originally on 5-5-6 something...

The best performance improvement I ever got was due to upgrading RAM and to a 64 bit system. Not overclocking.

And even better performance when I installed WIN7 which together with DX10 gives me very good framerates. (in WIN7 this is not the case for those running slow machines with little RAM!)

Regadring processor lifetime, there is some truth in that. I never saw any of my CPU's go dead on me. I guess I manage to upgrade them just before that happens

Good luck!

Nuriel Shem-Tov, Amsterdam.

fs_s.jpg