You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Graphics card for FSX

William Tunna 1137556

William Tunna 1137556
Posted
Posted

I am buying a new computer and it has Nvidia ® GeForce G310 512MB graphics card and 6144MB Dual Channel DDR3 1066MHz [2x2048 + 2x1024] Memory,, i am hoping to run FSX very high quality and have a good FPS. can anyone tell me if this graphics and memory will cope with this request?

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

Not to dissapoint you, but I run a 512MB DDR3 GPU with 8GB (4x2024MB) RAM with Windows 7 64 bit and I still get [Mod - lovely stuff]py framerates in areas of high scenery. I have done a wee bit of them tweaks available, but nothing that I can run high withQQ

That said, I am pretty happy with what I get running, ASA, REX and UTX with GEX on my PMDG or LDS...the lowest it will drop to is 10 fps during final...but I can so far land or atleast slam the acft on to the rwy. Don't be dissapointed with that, ur mileage may vary.

As long as you are planning to run a 64 bit, 6GB will be fine. 32Bit won't support more than 3 GB, just in case you were not aware of it.

When is your next Flight||VATSIM HitSquad Member, ZOA/ZAK/GANDER/P1

William Tunna 1137556
Posted
Posted

yep i know. thanks for the fast reply I am getting the inspiron 570 with windows 7 64 bit. If i am not happy with the graphics i can run i will get a new graphics card.

Anthony Baker 1080999
Posted
Posted

Make sure you install acceleration or SP2

w/o SP2 FSX WILL ONLY USE ONE CPU

Upgrading to SP2 doubled my FPS.

also set your FPS to unlimited

ZAU S-2, Major Certified

ZAU S-1 Mentor

(Disclaimer: the post above does not necessarily express the opinion or stance of ZAU or ZAUs training program, this view is made by me and me alone)

7664.png

Aggrey Ellis 964561
Posted
Posted

A laptop really isn't a great idea for FSX.

ZLA I11

VATCAF S1

et_1.png

William Tunna 1137556
Posted
Posted

its not a laptop !!

Nicholas Taylor 1104922
Posted
Posted
its not a laptop !!

Then why in the WORLD are you getting the G310!?!

Nicholas Taylor

vZAU INS

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

Nick, G310 is a desktop card...check it out here

William, my only advise based on my experience is you go for a DDR3 or higher based GPU. I saw a quantum leap in difference between the 512MB DDR2 and 512MB DDR3, even the 256MB DDR3 made a huge difference compared to he DDR2.

And if you do decide to upgrade, just go for the 1GB, no point in stopping at 512MB as the difference is pretty close based on what card you buy. Still I won't complain about the 512MB I use...its fairly decent.

When is your next Flight||VATSIM HitSquad Member, ZOA/ZAK/GANDER/P1

William Tunna 1137556
Posted
Posted

OK thanks for that,I was thinking if i upgrade i will go for the 1 GB