You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Calibrate mic - playback problem

Dennis Hickman 1139831

Dennis Hickman 1139831
Posted
Posted

Hi guys. Can anyone help please. When I play back my recorded voice after setting the volume to be apparently right during the initial part of the calibration process, (1) it is too loud, (2) somewhat distorted, and (3) there is a very disturbing echo which occurs a small but perceptible fraction of a second later. It’s fine, however, when I just use the built in MS sound recorder (Start-All programs-Accessories-Entertainment-Sound Recorder).

The headset is plugged in to the 3.5 mm jacks of the PC and I have the following settings in VRC: Microphone input device - Wave C - Media Rear Panel Audio; Headset Output Device - C - Media Rear Panel Audio; Enable VHF Simulation for Headset Device.

As a relatively new OBS, I have no problems in monitoring the VHF communications between controllers and aircraft though. What I need to know is: 1. Is this just a feature of mic calibration only, 2. Is there anything I can do about it, and 3. If not, will it be a problem when I get to start using it as a trainee controller?

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
Hi guys. Can anyone help please. When I play back my recorded voice after setting the volume to be apparently right during the initial part of the calibration process, (1) it is too loud, (2) somewhat distorted, and (3) there is a very disturbing echo which occurs a small but perceptible fraction of a second later. It’s fine, however, when I just use the built in MS sound recorder (Start-All programs-Accessories-Entertainment-Sound Recorder).

The headset is plugged in to the 3.5 mm jacks of the PC and I have the following settings in VRC: Microphone input device - Wave C - Media Rear Panel Audio; Headset Output Device - C - Media Rear Panel Audio; Enable VHF Simulation for Headset Device.

As a relatively new OBS, I have no problems in monitoring the VHF communications between controllers and aircraft though. What I need to know is: 1. Is this just a feature of mic calibration only, 2. Is there anything I can do about it, and 3. If not, will it be a problem when I get to start using it as a trainee controller?

Generally it's just an issue with the mic calibration. As long as the background noise in the room is reasonable, you should be fine when you actually control. The best way to tell is to try it out with another controller listening to your transmissions.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Dennis Hickman 1139831
Posted
Posted

Thank you very much Ross for your really quick reply. As an OBS recently p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ed part 1 of the OBS-S1) would I be allowed to speak to a controller to do this test, either via intercom or through his frequency?

Dennis

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
Thank you very much Ross for your really quick reply. As an OBS recently p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ed part 1 of the OBS-S1) would I be allowed to speak to a controller to do this test, either via intercom or through his frequency?

Dennis

Ya know ... it's been so long since I wrote the code, I don't remember if you can transmit on a voice channel as an OBS. Give it a try. If it doesn't work, you might have to use the sweatbox server.

Dennis Hickman 1139831
Posted
Posted

I gave it a try but the system prevented me from initiating an intercom call, with a message which said that you have to be an active controller to initiate ic calls. Just as a point of interest, how do instructors communicate with students? Also what is Sweatbox?

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
I gave it a try but the system prevented me from initiating an intercom call, with a message which said that you have to be an active controller to initiate ic calls. Just as a point of interest, how do instructors communicate with students? Also what is Sweatbox?

I imagine they use text messages, or teamspeak, etc.

Sweatbox is a standalone server used for training ATC students. Instructors can create and control "fake" aircraft to give the student traffic to work with. I believe it lets OBS use voice channels.

Dennis Hickman 1139831
Posted
Posted

OK thanks for the explanation. I think it will probably make sense to wait until I hear that I have been accepted onto an RTS and receive instructions as to how to connect etc,from the RTS training manager.