You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

QFE & QNH

Manuel Sabater 1136202

Manuel Sabater 1136202
Posted
Posted

Can someone please tell me how to set up the QFE or QNH on a aircraft?

I am using the Cessna 172

Thanks

Romano Lara
Posted
Posted

There is a knob on your altimeter, basically you rotate it.

If you're using VATSIM weather and lazy like me, simply hit B and it will correct the altimeter setting for you.

Romano Lara
vACC Philippines, Manager - Training & Standards
04819c_4181f294a6c34b5aa4d8a82c0fb448c5~mv2.webp

Manuel Sabater 1136202
Posted
Posted

Hi romano

Many thanks. I new about setting QNH on the altimeter knob but I was confused about the QFE.

Cheers

Ruth McTighe 824054
Posted
Posted

You set the QFE exactly the same way as you do the QNH, i.e. turn the altimeter knob to the right number. The difference is the resulting figure the altimeter needle points to. For QNH it's the number of feet above mean sea level (the altitude), for QFE it's the number of feet above the aerodrome level (the height).

So for example, if you were on the ground at Biggin Hill (EGKB) with the QNH set your altimeter would read 600ft, but if you'd set the QFE it would read 0ft

Ruth McTighe

Heathrow Director, Essex Radar, Thames Radar, London Information

[Mod - Happy Thoughts]t webmistress CIX VFR Club http://www.cixvfrclub.org.uk/

Webmistress Plan-G http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/

Now not a VATanything

Ivan Kovacevic 920456
Posted
Posted
If you're using VATSIM weather and lazy like me, simply hit B and it will correct the altimeter setting for you.

A very wrong approach for any place other than USA, since pressing B in Europe anywhere between 6000ft and 18000ft would likely* result in an error in procedure, and possibly loss of separation with other traffic.

* N.B. Transition altitudes vary in different countries.

Romano Lara
Posted
Posted
A very wrong approach for any place other than USA, since pressing B in Europe anywhere between 6000ft and 18000ft would likely* result in an error in procedure, and possibly loss of separation with other traffic.

My reply was intended to answer the op's question in general, regardless of the country he is in, answering his question on how to set his QFE/QNH on his panel.

Romano Lara
vACC Philippines, Manager - Training & Standards
04819c_4181f294a6c34b5aa4d8a82c0fb448c5~mv2.webp

Dave James 1018738
Posted
Posted

Additionally Manuel,

When given the QNH/QFE in millibars (which you will in the UK), if your C172 Altimeter only shows inches (inHg) on the subscale, as a rough guide, divide the millibars by 33.85 to give you inches.

David James

VATSIM Screenshot Contest Coordinator

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 2.4gig, RAM 3.25gig, ATI Radeon HD4800, XP Pro SP3, FS9.1 FSnav FSinn VRC

EXS_3.jpg

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted
Additionally Manuel,

When given the QNH/QFE in millibars (which you will in the UK), if your C172 Altimeter only shows inches (inHg) on the subscale, as a rough guide, divide the millibars by 33.85 to give you inches.

Divide by 33.85 as a rough guide! Great stuff.

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.