You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

New version of VRC?

Andrew Wolcott 814793

Andrew Wolcott 814793
Posted
Posted

Ross, any chance on updating VRC to add a few things like updating DSR Datablocks to display the aircraft equipment suffix, or having an actual ARTS-IIIE Datablock, or the STARS history trails to display more than a few? (If you select 10 history trails in the menu, you still don't get 10).

Or what about having two scratchpad areas for STARS/ACD (ARTS-IIIE)?

Or is any futher upgrading or development of VRC completely dead in the water?

I have full technical docomeentation if you're interested in DSR, ERAM, ACD and STARS.

Andrew

nmvx9d-2.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Hi Andrew,

I currently have no plans for any new features for VRC. I wouldn't say the development is dead, because I certainly still plan to do bug fixes or any enhancements required by future changes in VATSIM's server.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

• 5 months later...
Justin Vaughan 963783
Posted
Posted (edited)

As long as you haven't ceased development on vrc due to the emergence of ES then I'm ok with that. ES while nifty, is hardly superior to VRC both in usability and practicality in my opinion. Actually IMO, ES is taking a few steps backwards in user-friendlyness and with some of the new features it's becoming less about realism mimicry and more an evolution into a beast of its own (meaning becomming more applicable to the environment in vatsim rather than trying to simulate the environment of the real world)

Anyways, as ES is becoming the latest fad I'm positive people will see my opinions as an attack and try to correct me. Fire away, theres no right answer to the way at which I view things.

Thanks for the hard work and dedication you put into vrc and vatspy Ross. The community appreciates it!

Edited by Guest
8030.png

Sean Harrison
Posted
Posted

Hell Yes. Ross there are still some out here that will be staying with your creation, and find it superb as an VRC. It would be most sad if VRC was dropped because of ES.

I appreciate what Ross has done for the community to date, and hopefully will continue.

Sean

C1/O P3

spacer.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
Hell Yes. Ross there are still some out here that will be staying with your creation, and find it superb as an VRC. It would be most sad if VRC was dropped because of ES.

Euroscope met a great demand for a more European-centric controller client on VATSIM, and in my opinion it represents a significant evolution in VATSIM's technology. But don't worry about VATSIM dropping VRC because of ES ... there's plenty of room on this network for VRC, ES, ASRC, and whatever else might be coming down the pipe ... choice is good.

Justin Vaughan 963783
Posted
Posted

Euroscope met a great demand for a more European-centric controller client on VATSIM, and in my opinion it represents a significant evolution in VATSIM's technology. But don't worry about VATSIM dropping VRC because of ES ... there's plenty of room on this network for VRC, ES, ASRC, and whatever else might be coming down the pipe ... choice is good.

Very true, ES had a roll and has filled it. It is an evolutionary step in the ability for individuals to customize every aspect of their scope (straight down to the data block) for the vast number of different technologies used in ATC around the world. Plus I'm not going to lie, all of the new features are a bit exciting.

And even better, I still have ASRC and install it from time to time. Although I admit I'm starting to forget all the dot commands, but I have no doubt i'd be able to pick them back up in a few days.

Mike, Ross, and Gergely have all produced some very fine programs. So have FSDT and the SB + SB3/4 teams. I'm proud to be part of such a talented and generous community. The creators of ServInfo deserve mention too (his name slips me atm, I know that you've worked with him before on the program haven't you ross?

8030.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
The creators of ServInfo deserve mention too (his name slips me atm, I know that you've worked with him before on the program haven't you ross?

His name is Michael Frantzeskakis ... I haven't worked with him before, no.

• 5 weeks later...
Anthony Baker 1080999
Posted
Posted

So Ross,

VRC development is dead UNLESS VATSIM changes its servers and requires a modification to VRC?

I love ES's features, but I love VRC's Ease to use... I say combine the two and have thee ultimate controller client

ZAU S-2, Major Certified

ZAU S-1 Mentor

(Disclaimer: the post above does not necessarily express the opinion or stance of ZAU or ZAUs training program, this view is made by me and me alone)

7664.png

Daniel Hawton
Posted
Posted

Or keep them separate as the European controllers seem to prefer the EuroScope way, and the US generally seems to like the VRC Way. I like VRC the way it is, and after checking out ES, have no desire to play with it any further.

Dave James 1018738
Posted
Posted
Or keep them separate as the European controllers seem to prefer the EuroScope way, and the US generally seems to like the VRC Way. I like VRC the way it is, and after checking out ES, have no desire to play with it any further.

Not all of us Daniel

David James

VATSIM Screenshot Contest Coordinator

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 2.4gig, RAM 3.25gig, ATI Radeon HD4800, XP Pro SP3, FS9.1 FSnav FSinn VRC

EXS_3.jpg

• 3 months later...
Ej Davis 1125712
Posted
Posted

Lol, well all the ARTCC's use VRC. The only problem is this graphic driver problem, which appears to be hopeless

AmericanSupervisor.png

Justin Vaughan 963783
Posted
Posted
Lol, well all the ARTCC's use VRC. The only problem is this graphic driver problem, which appears to be hopeless

If your experiencing a graphics driver problem, odds are it isn't a problem with VRC, rather a problem in finding the correct driver / hardware settings.

I know I've experienced issues in the past regarding harware acceleration and integrated graphics cards, however I was able to solve most of them with the help of the Ross's website, the faq, and users here on this forum. However, this thread isn't the place to dive into possible solutions (in efforts to stay on topic). Have you posted a new thread under this subforum?

8030.png