You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Problems with voice cutting out on SB4 and VRC

Noah Bryant 831337

Noah Bryant 831337
Posted
Posted

Hello - this problem has been driving me crazy...

If I am on VRC controlling or SB4 flying, I get these cutouts on almost every received tansmission, then some the cutouts are put at the end of the transmission.

For example, it will sound like this:

"delta 2135, cleared d____ los angeles, climb and __tain flight level 330. irect"

As best as I can tell I am transmitting fine, he problem is just receiving.

Changing between directsound and wave does nothing and changing from my USB headst to the XiFi Soundcard also does nothing to remedy the problem.

Any ideas??

Noah Bryant 831337
Posted
Posted

Thanks but as I stated in my last paragraph, I have already tried that.

Harold Rutila 974112
Posted
Posted

Hey Noah,

One thing that comes to mind is router ports, since that's something both programs have in common. Are you on some sort of router by any chance? If so check the link I've posted below, which contains info on which ports need to be forwarded.

http://www.metacraft.com/VRC/docs/doc.php?page=installing_or_upgrading_vrc

Noah Bryant 831337
Posted
Posted

ok ive never done that before. see attached screenshot and tell me if that is right:

ports.JPG

Paul Byrne
Posted
Posted

Hi Noah,

You will need to make sure that the IP address listed is the IP address of the computer. If that is the case, then it looks like you're all set.

Cheers!

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Have another look here:

http://www.metacraft.com/VRC/docs/doc.php?page=installing_or_upgrading_vrc

3290 UDP is the only one you need to forward. 6809 and 3782 are outgoing connections, initiated by your computer, which your router will allow by default. Forwarding is only needed for inbound connections initiated by machines out on the internet. 3290 is used for incoming audio from other controllers, which is why it needs to be forwarded.

Note that it's highly unlikely that forwarding 3290 is going to fix your problem. If lack of forwarding was the issue, you probably wouldn't hear anything at all. Your problem has to do with voice getting chopped up, which is probably due to something else entirely, most likely network lag, bandwidth starvation, etc.

And as Paul mentioned, you need to make sure you have the forwarding IP set right. 192.168.1.0 is probably not your computer's IP ... the zero on the end is probably something else. View the TCP/IP properties of your network adapter to see your IP. Or run "ipconfig" in a command prompt window.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Noah Bryant 831337
Posted
Posted

ok thanks for the help. Sounds like Im just going to have to deal with it.