You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

VATUSA Olympic Games Challenge!

Mathew Magera 931028

Mathew Magera 931028
Posted
Posted

The Winter Olympics are coming to Vanouver, British Columbia! Beginning on Friday February 12 and running until Sunday February 28, VATUSA will be holding the Winter Olympic Games Challenge. All you have to do is fly to or from Vancouver and the competition will come to life. Virtual medals (Gold, Silver, and Bronze) will be awarded to ARTCCs, Airports, and Aircraft using the following categories:

1). ARTCC: Most flights to or from CYVR

-Flights into and out of CYVR will be tallied. After the closing ceremonies on February 28th, the ARTCC with the most operations into and out of CYVR will receive the gold medal in this category.

2). Airport: Most flights to or from CYVR to or from a US Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] Bravo Airport

-Flights into and out of CYVR to or from a US Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] Bravo airport will be tallied. After the closing ceremonies on February 28th, the Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] Bravo airport with the most operations to or from CYVR will receive the gold medal in this category.

3). Airport: Most flights to or from CYVR to or from a US Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] Charlie Airport

-Flights into and out of CYVR to or from a US Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] Charlie airport will be tallied. After the closing ceremonies on February 28th, the Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] Charlie airport with the most operations to or from CYVR will receive the gold medal in this category.

4). Airport: Most flights to or from CYVR to or from a US Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] Delta Airport

-Flights into and out of CYVR to or from a US Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] Delta airport will be tallied. After the closing ceremonies on February 28th, the Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] Delta airport with the most operations to or from CYVR will receive the gold medal in this category.

5). Airport: Most flights to or from CYVR to or from a US Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] Echo/Golf Airport

-Flights into and out of CYVR to or from a US Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] Echo/Golf airport will be tallied. After the closing ceremonies on February 28th, the Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] Echo/Golf airport with the most operations to or from CYVR will receive the gold medal in this category.

6). Aircraft: Most flights to or from CYVR in a Piston or Turboprop Aircraft

-Piston/Turboprop aircraft will be tallied into and out of CYVR. After the closing ceremonies on February 28th, the piston/turboprop aircraft with the most operations to or from CYVR will receive the gold medal in this category.

7). Aircraft: Most flights to or from CYVR in a Jet Aircraft

-Jet aircraft will be tallied into and out of CYVR. After the closing ceremonies on February 28th, the jet aircraft with the most operations to or from CYVR will receive the gold medal in this category.

At the end of the event, all flights will be tallied and virtual medals will be awarded. Because ARTCCs are the main category, full medal counts will be attributed to them. Thus, in the end, the ARTCC with the most medal points (Gold - 15, Silver - 10, Bronze - 5) will be named the VATUSA Winter Olympic Games Challenge Champion!

NOTAM -- ARTCC medal points for aircraft will be awarded to the ARTCC with the most operations of each of the medalist aircraft.

Jason Baxter 920557
Posted
Posted

Sounds like good news for ZSE.

CS13_Sig_D.jpg

Paul Byrne
Posted
Posted

You took the words right out of my mouth

Cheers!

Nate Johns
Posted
Posted

I found my airport pair. Bet you can't guess what it is Doesn't have to be IFR flight does it?

~Nate

Nate Johns

"All things are difficult before they are easy."

- Dr. Thomas Fuller, Gnomologia, 1732

Mathew Magera 931028
Posted
Posted

as long as it shows up on VatAware so I can keep track, anything is game.

Stefan Hueneburg 1062056
Posted
Posted

That sounds like a very cool event idea, but a question comes into my mind. Do all pilots count or only member of the participating ARTCCs?

Join us in #vatsim @ irc.quakenet.org - the IRC chat for every VATsimmer.

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted

I have another question as well.

4). Airport: Most flights to or from CYVR to or from a US Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] Delta Airport

-Flights into and out of CYVR to or from a US Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] Delta airport will be tallied. After the closing ceremonies on February 28th, the Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] Delta airport with the most operations to or from CYVR will receive the gold medal in this category.

This sounds like even better news for CZVR. My question plays right into it.

How does an airport like KBLI come into play here? It's a Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] D airport, in the CONUS and US ADIZ, but is in CZVR's airspace. How would that work?

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Mathew Magera 931028
Posted
Posted
That sounds like a very cool event idea, but a question comes into my mind. Do all pilots count or only member of the participating ARTCCs?

All pilots count. Doesn't matter who you are or where you are from. Its the airports and the aircraft the count.

Mathew Magera 931028
Posted
Posted
I have another question as well.

This sounds like even better news for CZVR. My question plays right into it.

How does an airport like KBLI come into play here? It's a Cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts] D airport, in the CONUS and US ADIZ, but is in CZVR's airspace. How would that work?

BL.

Hmm. Interesting question. I would probably count that to ZSE, but that wouldn't seem fair. You've stumped me.

I think what I'm going to do is count it toward the Airport category for medals. However, if BLI wins a medal, I will not be able to count it to any ARTCC. I think this works.

Jason Baxter 920557
Posted
Posted

I say ZSE. It's in ZSE ARTCCs airspace, like most approach controls Victoria terminal is delegated that airspace by LOA so it is not Vancouver's.

CS13_Sig_D.jpg

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted
I say ZSE. It's in ZSE ARTCCs airspace, like most approach controls Victoria terminal is delegated that airspace by LOA so it is not Vancouver's.

Sure about that, JB? From Airnav:

Airport Operations

Airport use: Open to the public

Activation date: 11/1938

Sectional chart: SEATTLE

Control tower: yes

ARTCC: VANCOUVER CENTER

FSS: SEATTLE FLIGHT SERVICE STATION

NOTAMs facility: BLI (NOTAM-D service available)

Attendance: CONTINUOUS

This was why I had asked.

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Jason Baxter 920557
Posted
Posted

I read that, I was going off the chart which seems to indicate otherwise.

CS13_Sig_D.jpg

Tomas Hansson
Posted
Posted

Taken from ZSE's LOA with Vancouver:

III. Description of Airspace

Seattle ARTCC shall delegate U.S. airspace around KBLI to Vancouver ACC on a

continuous basis to provide terminal services for KBLI as depicted in Appendix 1a.

Tomas Hansson

Jason Baxter 920557
Posted
Posted

My point being that Vancouver is renting it and it's still Seattle's.

CS13_Sig_D.jpg

Sean Harrison
Posted
Posted

Any chance of a Helo Category????

And is there any Winter Olympic Scenery for us not in the area.

Sean

C1/O P3

spacer.png

Gerry Hattendorf 935415
Posted
Posted
Any chance of a Helo Category????

And is there any Winter Olympic Scenery for us not in the area.

Considering the dismal snow pack at Whistler, I think you can use the summer scenery!

Gerry Hattendorf

ZLA Webmaster

VATSIM Supervisor

Julian Hoffman 850174
Posted
Posted

Haha. POINT!

Julian Hoffman

ZAN ARTCC - DATM

VATSIM Hit Squad Member

VATSIM Network Supervisor