You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

auto updating sector files

Luca Benelli

Luca Benelli
Posted
Posted

Experimenting since yesterday with this

I got my sector file to download, accidents i got involved with aside, i can't get a new version of the sector file to be downloaded. I get an error while the program tries to download the updated provider file.

Can anybody tell me what i got wrong?

Thanks.

Luca

Luca Benelli - C3 - P2

Todor Atanasov 878664
Posted
Posted

What is the error? What is the link, the file you are trying to download?

Luca Benelli
Posted
Posted

i created a vACC Italy provider file, it has been added yesterday by Gergely (thanks ).

I downloaded a sector file and it all worked (BTW one has to restart ES to load a different PRF file? I have found only the save option).

Next step was to update the provider file with a new version to check what was necessary to have the file auto download/install/whatever so i can write a few notes for the users.

Now Euroscope simply tells me "Error: failed to load http://www.vatita.net/es/vatita_sector_files.txt"

Thank you, Luca

Luca Benelli - C3 - P2

Todor Atanasov 878664
Posted
Posted

It downloaded for me with no errors. Can you update the file again so I can try to download the new version again, to see if it will give the error again.

Also take a look at this note :

The SCT and the ESE file name MUST be _.SCT/ESE. No other file names are accepted as sector file.

yours is italy_v1.00b.7z but the files inside are italy.sct/ese and they should be italy_v1.00b.sct/ese

Luca Benelli
Posted
Posted

i created version c, and updated the vatita_sector_files.txt file on the server, i corrected the sct and ese file names. I alo added prf, txt and asr files to make easier for beginners, but i don't even get to that point as i still can't update the provider file.

Luca

Luca Benelli - C3 - P2

Todor Atanasov 878664
Posted
Posted

Luca I did downloaded it again with no errors. First step click on the

http://www.euroscope.hu/sectorfile/euroscope_sector_providers.txt

and hit download. After that click on your link in the dialog and again give it download, if nothing happens (the file is not shown in the Provided Sectorfiles just hit update and it should be there now. Then hit download button and you will have the files.

Luca Benelli
Posted
Posted

Hi Todor, thanks for your help.

I can get the files, i can't get the updates. i am stuck on version 1.00a of my files.

If i select "vACC Italy Sector Files" and hit download (after the first time) i get the error reported in an earlier post.

Did you get the updated files automatically?

Luca Benelli - C3 - P2

Todor Atanasov 878664
Posted
Posted

Does it shows the correct version in the Provided Sectorfiles dialog or you just don't get the new files after download? I did the test with manual download but will test it with auto now.

Luca Benelli
Posted
Posted

Yes, all is correct, in fact if i install ES from scratch i get the latest version of the files. But i can't get an updated version of the vatita_sector_files.txt file, which in turn makes it impossible to know there's an updated 7z file.

Luca Benelli - C3 - P2

Luca Benelli
Posted
Posted

Will start again from scratch and see what i can break next

Thank you.

UPDATE: Autoupdate works now. Thank you very much.

Luca Benelli - C3 - P2

Todor Atanasov 878664
Posted
Posted

• 1 month later...
Luca Benelli
Posted
Posted

I'll get ths topic updated as it relats to automatic updates...

I suspect i have a conceptual error in my updates...

The file versioning (in the file names) has to be done for the 7z file only or for the file sincluded in the update (sct, ese and others) too?

Thank you.

Luca Benelli - C3 - P2

Luca Benelli
Posted
Posted

Thanks Stephan,

how do you fix the fact that the asr file points to the wrong sct? or do you include the asr file too?

My question comes from the fact that i don't want the users to loose all their settings.. or am i missing something here?

Luca

Luca Benelli - C3 - P2

Stephan Boerner 945550
Posted
Posted

ES should recognise the new version automatically and update the ASR files with it.

Stephan Boerner

VATEUD - ATC Training Director

EuroScope Board of Designers | GVCCS Beta Tester

edff,euroscope,ger1oic,lhaoic.jpg

EuroScope Quick Start Guide

Luca Benelli
Posted
Posted

then i have done something else wrong

Thanks, will try again

Luca Benelli - C3 - P2

Stephan Boerner 945550
Posted
Posted

Hm, just a guess ... try to do your versions without the [.]

so italy_v20100403c.7z instead of italy_v2010.04.03c.7z

Not sure what ES does with the dot.

Stephan Boerner

VATEUD - ATC Training Director

EuroScope Board of Designers | GVCCS Beta Tester

edff,euroscope,ger1oic,lhaoic.jpg

EuroScope Quick Start Guide

Luca Benelli
Posted
Posted

done, but i still can't get the file to update.

I see the file is downloaded but it dosn't update (i even changed by hand all references to the "dotted" version to the new one and updated the version number).

I remeber ES saying a couple of times "a new version is available do you want to make it the active file".

But it isn't anymore... not sure what i got wrong

Luca Benelli - C3 - P2

Luca Benelli
Posted
Posted

i'll keep you updated if i find out something..

Luca Benelli - C3 - P2

Karl Kornel 964857
Posted
Posted

Hi Luca,

Here's everything I know about this type of thing:

Each .asr file stores the path to the sector file that it uses. When you open the .asr file, if EuroScope can find the sector file referenced by the .asr file, then that is what will be used.

If, when you open the .asr file, EuroScope can not find the sector file referenced in the .asr file, then EuroScope will display an alert, and it will ask you if you want to use the active sector file instead.

When I started using the downloadable sector files, I deleted all of the other sector files I had on my computer. I wanted to make sure that EuroScope could not go to any other sector file, just the sector file I downloaded through EuroScope.

If the sector file you downloaded is not active, then you should close all of your .asr files. Once all of them are closed, load the new sector file. Yes, when you do that a new .asr file will be started. You do not have to save the new .asr file, you are just getting EuroScope to recognize the new sector file, so that it can be made the active sector file.

Those are all of the notes that I have on this so far. I hope it helps!

A. Karl Kornel - vZID C1, FE, and Mentor

Smoke Bomb! POOF

Todor Atanasov 878664
Posted
Posted

Luka, I presume you have done everything like in the wiki, right? If you don't see the popup windows then you haven't

http://euroscope.hu/mediawiki/index.php?title=Download_Sectorfiles

Also if you have been using a file that is not in the right format, ES will not catch the downloaded file as a new Delete the old file, open new ASR in ES and let it do it magic

Luca Benelli
Posted
Posted

I'll start everything from scratch again.. let's see how i break it this time

Luca

Luca Benelli - C3 - P2

• 7 months later...
Luca Benelli
Posted
Posted

Back on a dead thread...

After some problems, and completely giving up tests for a while, we are back at a new trial deploying automatic updates.

A couple of quick test for file names and versioning worked good, the only thing i noticed is that ES seems to ignore the DOWNLOADINTERVAL directive...

It seems like ES uses the default 48 hours interval instead of what is given in the provider file (in this case 1 hr)..

Anyone seen this?

Thanks, Luca

Luca Benelli - C3 - P2