You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Bristol Flight Show 2005

Rob Jones 871775

Rob Jones 871775
Posted
Posted

Hi,

In lieu of the flight show being held down 'ere in Bristle, perhaps an event could be arranged? (Similar to Blackpool...)

Any thoughts?

Dan Bishop-Adams
Posted
Posted

As far as I know it'll be a Southwest based event anyway.

I'll be on Bristol Radar live from the show...so bring on the traffic!

Dan.

Dan Bishop-Adams 859607
Bristol Controller & Chief Severnair/VBFC Elitist 

www.severnair.co.uk / www.vbfc.co.uk

16B6C948-9C5F-460D-B17A-7EC265C6D8D9.jpeg

Gareth Williams 840232
Posted
Posted

any flights from Romania into Brizzel Dan?

If not I might have to create one....

Regards,

Gareth

Dan Bishop-Adams
Posted
Posted

Nopes, afraid not! We have Budapest though which isnt far! eazyJet do that. For information on real world flights check out http://apron.bristolairport.com and look at the Mayflys. For Saturday 15ths flights visit "next weeks mayfly" and scroll down (or click this link http://apron.bristolairport.com/mayfly/nextweeksmayfly.pdf).

Could make it a bit of a real ops day perhaps?

Dan.

Dan Bishop-Adams 859607

Scott Eastwood
Posted
Posted

Have a good time at the show guys. Gutted I can't be there but I'm a litle far away at the minute. Can't wait to see the pictures, they always have some good stories to go with them.

Scott.

Dan Bishop-Adams
Posted
Posted

I wonder who will end up drunk.....

Dan Bishop-Adams 859607

Bill Casey
Posted
Posted

Oh I suppose I'll pop down from Rushden for the day and annoy you all without the venerable G-BILL for a change (just the Jag, tis much better behaved than G-BILL).

I'll see whoever is there sometime, somewhen during the day!

Bill

G-BILL

Bill Casey

Dan Bishop-Adams
Posted
Posted

Look forward to meeting ya Bill.

Dan Bishop-Adams 859607

• Board of Governors
Simon Irvine
Posted
Posted
I wonder who will end up drunk.....

My money is on you Dan!!

Simon Irvine

VP Europe, Middle East and Africa Region

Dan Bishop-Adams
Posted
Posted

Considering we have alternative post show arrangements involving bars then Id certainly agree, but its not like you're an angel!

Dan Bishop-Adams 859607

• Board of Governors
Simon Irvine
Posted
Posted
Considering we have alternative post show arrangements involving bars then Id certainly agree, but its not like you're an angel!

Thats my clean living image blown then - cheers Dan

Simon Irvine

VP Europe, Middle East and Africa Region

Dan Bishop-Adams
Posted
Posted

Clean living? PAH! Such comedy...

Dan Bishop-Adams 859607

Bill Casey
Posted
Posted

So, who's going to be there? Not having the same thread from Vat-uk available I can't remember who said they would be there but seeing as I'm coming down for it it'd be great to be forewarned as to who I have to hide from (or conversely who we can all gang-up on).

Bill

G-BILL

Bill Casey

Will McMahon 854085
Posted
Posted

I shall be there either mid-afternoon if i'm working or first thing if I get work off

Will McMahon

CTR1 Birmingham

PPL Student

Allan Squires
Posted
Posted

I will be sticking my face in during the day.

Can't get drunk (

Driving!!

Looking forward to putting faces to names.

Allan

Scott Keller 901533
Posted
Posted

Ooo, I'll be there... And I'll be meeting you Rob...

Scott Keller

Martin Leat 860888
Posted
Posted

Just a reminder that its the show today and it would be nice to have some Hight ATC and traffic levels for the duration of the show , to show people what we can do. I understand it is a funny time but please if you can make an effort.

Thanks

Martin Leat

Mike Goggin 810339
Posted
Posted

I'll be there later this morning.

Nigel Spink 811859
Posted
Posted

I'm sure someone will post an official notice regarding our attendance at today's show at Bristol, but briefly huge apologies for not being online today.

Very sadly we were unable to access the internet due to problems with the venue's broadband service. As you can imagine we were all extremely disappointed that we were not able to show off VATSIM UK in all it's online glory, however we had a lot of interest from the visitors and it was good to meet so many people.

Nigel

EGTT RTS Manager

ATCO London Area Control Centre (Swanwick)

63837862-S.jpg

Bill Casey
Posted
Posted

That really was a crying shame that you guys couldn't get connections especially after so much hard work in getting all the kit down there and set-up.

It was however great to meet up with a few people down there although the usual problem of "I'd like to meet so'n'so but I don't know what he looks like" reared it's head again! If I missed anyone then I'm sorry, perhaps we should all wear badges at shows in future? Alternatively, as I suggested to Neil and Ruth yesterday, perhaps once the forum is back up we could set-up a "rogues gallery" of willing members so that we know how ugly we all are before heading off to the shows? The other option is to wear red carnations and carry a copy of The Times....

Anyway, thanks to all the people who did take stuff down and set it up, I know how much hard work is involved in all that and I trust everyone's PCs survived the disruption ok.

Bill

G-BILL

Bill Casey

Chris Boustead 843230
Posted
Posted

Aye big shame indeed but we still made the most of it! Bill we usually do have name badges but because of the hecktic suituation we never got round to getting them out. Good to meet you though and everyone. hopefully better luck for year.

Chris Boustead

VATSIM Supervisor

Dan Bishop-Adams
Posted
Posted

What a mess! Still, was nice to put names to faces! So, who avoided me? . Hehehe.

Dan.

Dan Bishop-Adams 859607

Rob Jones 871775
Posted
Posted

Ummm... no one dan...

Yeah was a shame about no internet but hey, was still a good show!

Neil Dewson-Smyth 813906
Posted
Posted

Well another show for VATSIM-UK p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]es by. You may have noticed something missing though on this occasion?

You're right. We were not online We had a lot of computers and were all set up to go. Sadly the promise of a connection never came to fruition. The hotel had a connection but it was wired up in a very bizarre fashion and had proxy servers and all sorts so I'm told. We spent ages looking at it and a chap from Knight Air who is very good with such things was also left scratching his head. The hotels IT engineer came in and he was no better at all! We finally worked out a way to byp[Mod - Happy Thoughts] all that and get online... but we needed the hotels internet p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word.... which they didn't have They finally managed to obtain that by 3.30pm!! It was as you can imagine too late by then for us to start even worrying about it. We apologise to anybody who wanted to fly and experience our show control this weekend but the circomestances, not for the want of trying, were beyond our control.

That said we met a lot of people who were interested in VATSIM and we had two very well attended presentations. We did very well at promoting VATSIM and VATSIM-UK and I thank everyone who attended on the day for their time and commitment. It was quite disappointing to find you had lugged your PC across country only to find you couldn't control. That said all those staffing the stand this weekend kept a positive attitude and we had a good show. I'm confident we have attracted quite a number of new members to VATSIM and VATSIM-UK.

Thank you also to Bob and Carol from RC Simulations for their continued support and to AFE Manchester who provide us with our 1/2 Mil charts that we use for our displays.

This was my last show as lead organiser for VATSIM-UK shows. I'm sure I will continue to have some involvement but for now I will step aside as lead. It takes a lot of time and effort to do properly which impacts quite considerably on occasions on my family life here at home.

Unless something comes up in the meantime the next events are now some way off into 2006. I look forward to meeting you all there again but being a little less stressed

Neil Dewson-Smyth

VATSIM Europe RCRP Lead

vatsim[at]d-s.demon.co.uk

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

Hi all,

Well what a fab day out I had. Although I have to say I did feel sorry for some of the wives and partners that i saw dozing in cars in the car parks, hahahahaha

It was great to meet so many like minded individuals and just talk to complete strangers about our shared obsession. I thoroughly enjoyed Neils presentation re New Pilots even though we had to endure the wall lights in the middle of the screen.

I met Bill Casey who it transpires spent sometime in cardiff some years back and will have definitely strutted his stuff on the dancefloor of a club (Nero's) I used to DJ at at the same time. (small world) Alan Squires who I had met online sought me out and we had a good chat and wander around.

There where so many other individuals that i met including one retired pilot who I talked to out side the loo for some considerable time. He was on the cusp of going on VATSIM and I think I might have converted him to the idea.

He finshed his real world flying on VC10's wow, is all I can say.

I met that wonderful controller from Bristol Dan Adams, nuff said.

So all in all a brilliant day and I'm so glad that I perservered with the software and got up there flying.

I took a whole bunch of images at the show which will be going on my website by the end of this week. I will realease a notification when it's all done.

Wycliffe Barrett: C3 Controller

atc5o.png

"if god meant for us to fly, he would have given us tickets" Mel Brooks