You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

"No support for PCI Video"

Alistair Thomson

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted

My MB is an Intel DH55HC with an i5-650 and 4GB. The MB has one PCIe x16 slot with a Geforce 9500GT and three PCI 2.3 rev slots for "expansion". I have one Geforce 6200 in one of these slots (I'm running 4 monitors) and decided to upgrarde that to a Geforce 9400GT. Both of these cards are PCI rev 2.1 but they are both universal, so they will be powered OK in a 2.3 slot.

Got the card from TigerDirect, and the machine stopped working. No post, no graphics login. Nowt. So I sent it back and got another one. Same story.

After contacting EVGA twice and Intel twice, the bottom line from Intel is that "the series 5 motherboards have not been tested with PCI video cards and so PCI video cards are unsupported."

Maybe I was just lucky with the 6200 or unlucky with the 9400? Does anyone have any good results with any Geforce PCI cards in any series 5 Intel MBs, or do I just ship the whole lot back to TigerDirect?

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted
Maybe I was just lucky with the 6200 or unlucky with the 9400? Does anyone have any good results with any Geforce PCI cards in any series 5 Intel MBs, or do I just ship the whole lot back to TigerDirect?

Have you tried running the 9400 without the 6200? It might be that the MB+9400 doesn't like the PCIe card *and* the 6200, or maybe it just doesn't like being secondary video in general. Most mobos should handle PCIe video + PCI video, but once you start throwing a third video card in there I suspect all bets are off. You may need to look at a PCIe card with multiple DVI outputs.

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.