You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

zla site down

Keith Smith

Keith Smith
Posted
Posted

Pilot certs and ZLA site are down. They're hosted at my office, which is currently enjoying a wonderful snow storm. All components were on battery-backed UPS, at least so I thought. I'll check when I get to the office on Friday morning (hopefully) east coast time. I'm going to have to shovel a lot of snow to get the car out in the morning, so there might be a delay.

Steven Caffey
Posted
Posted

No worries KS, I figured this damn snow was the cause of the problem when I couldn't get to the ZLA site, or onto the Teamspeak.

Steven Caffey (SY) ZLA Controller

"A mile of highway gets you one mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere."

1099774.png

Andrew Doubleday
Posted
Posted

Phheww... and I thought the government here decided to censor yet another website...

Thanks for keeping us updated KS. Good luck getting everything re-activated.

-AJ

Andrew James Doubleday | Twitch Stream: Ground_Point_Niner

University of North Dakota | FAA Air Traffic Collegiate Training Initiative (AT-CTI) GraduateGPN_Horizontal_-_Tertiary.thumb.png.9d7edc4d985ab7ed1dc60b92a5dfa85c.png

Cameron Negrete
Posted
Posted
Phheww... and I thought the government here decided to censor yet another website...

Thanks for keeping us updated KS. Good luck getting everything re-activated.

-AJ

when that happens be sure to just leave and come back

Wade Williams 877539
Posted
Posted
Pilot certs and ZLA site are down. They're hosted at my office, which is currently enjoying a wonderful snow storm. All components were on battery-backed UPS, at least so I thought. I'll check when I get to the office on Friday morning (hopefully) east coast time. I'm going to have to shovel a lot of snow to get the car out in the morning, so there might be a delay.

Perhaps we should start a "buy Keith a snowblower" fund?

Keith Smith
Posted
Posted

Oh, trust me. Keith has a snow blower.

DSCN1883.jpg

I carved out a path to at least get one car out this morning and made it into the office. Everything was powered up...which surprised me. Turns out, there's a rather widespread outage in the area. They're working on it, and expect to have it back up Real Soon Now. When service is restored, the cable modem should come back online without any intervention, and we should be up and running.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

You call that a snowstorm? You southern folk don't know how easy you have it ...

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

Sorry I am from SFO bay area. What m/c did u say? A snow what-er?

When is your next Flight||VATSIM HitSquad Member, ZOA/ZAK/GANDER/P1

Ian Elchitz 810151
Posted
Posted

I can't believe you have a snowblower - or had to use it for what we refer to up here as "a flurry".

EDIT: Of course I should also say "Thanks" for looking into the problem (on top of everything else you do to keep ZLA up and running).

Ian Elchitz

Just a guy without any fancy titles

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted
You call that a snowstorm? You southern folk don't know how easy you have it ...

Especially when the both of you get my hometown's leftovers.

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

I miss snow....thanks for the update

Richard Gerrish

Developer, STM Applications Group

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

and my sister wants me to move back to jersey, ha! yeah right!

i dont miss the snow one bit! sure it made driving more interesting, but the hour+ it took every morning digging out the car not only from the snow, but the slush that the plows graciously stacked on top of the already packed snow was enough to drive you insane

they really need to start doing what the airports do and melt the stuff instead of pushing it to the side

Keith Smith
Posted
Posted

With the site staying down longer than what was forecast by tech support, I made another trip to the office just in case a power cycle of the cable modem would help anything. As I arrived, I saw many blinking lights...a good sign! It came back up by itself, as suspected. They just took longer than they thought to fix the outage.

So, we're back online. Hooray!

Ian Elchitz 810151
Posted
Posted

Keith - the check is in the mail Thanks.

Also - remember to bend your knees and always take a break when clearing the snow

Ian Elchitz

Just a guy without any fancy titles

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted
Keith - the check is in the mail Thanks.

Also - remember to bend your knees and always take a break when clearing the snow

That's so you can pick up the snow, ball it up, and throw it at your neighbour.

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Christopher Mauro
Posted
Posted

+1

Chris Mauro

Keith Smith
Posted
Posted

I should've clarified...that picture was taken last winter. This recent storm dropped about 14" in my yard. Yes, I'd call it a snowstorm!

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
I should've clarified...that picture was taken last winter. This recent storm dropped about 14" in my yard. Yes, I'd call it a snowstorm!

I was gonna say ... the amount of snow in that picture wouldn't be enough to get me to bother putting boots on, much less fire up a snow blower!

(You know you're from New England when you can drive 80 MPH through 2 feet of snow without flinching.)

Christopher Mauro
Posted
Posted

I am so lucky my aunt has 4 wheel drive

Chris Mauro

Scott Bickford
Posted
Posted

haha, actually we southerners know that it's better to blow and shovel the stuff every couple hours than to kill yourself doing it once as it weighs ten tons. I went out twice each day Thursday and Friday. The end of the driveway was almost impossible with my snow blower too.

Scott Bickford

810789.png

810789.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
haha, actually we southerners know that it's better to blow and shovel the stuff every couple hours than to kill yourself doing it once as it weighs ten tons.

Well how else are we northerners supposed to build our strength for the annual cow tipping tournament?

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

Well how else are we northerners supposed to build our strength for the annual cow tipping tournament?

thought we weren't supposed to talk about that event again

Richard Gerrish

Developer, STM Applications Group

Gerry Hattendorf 935415
Posted
Posted

Hehe!

You guys in the NE have it easy! Shovel this!

tahoesnow.png

Gerry Hattendorf

ZLA Webmaster

VATSIM Supervisor

Christopher Mauro
Posted
Posted
Hehe!

You guys in the NE have it easy! Shovel this!

tahoesnow.png

Seriously? LOL

Chris Mauro