You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Freezing

Matthew Garner

Matthew Garner
Posted
Posted

Hey everyone,

I was doing a short flight on VATSIM yesterday afternoon with two friends of mine. Suddenly my computer froze and I had to restart the machine. Although I haven't played FS for some time and can't really blame the game for it, although I have had the same problems when I play World Of Warcraft on some occasions. I have made sure that my graphics card drivers are up-to-date and reinstalled them.

My PC Specs are:

AMD Phenom II x4 955 @ 3.2 Ghz

6GB DD2 Ram

NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 with 1GB etc

500GB Hard Drive

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.

Has anyone else had similar issues or if anyone can help me out it will be very appreciated!

Thanks,

Matt

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

Hi

My first question is, how many other apps did you have open at the sametime. Your specs would indiate a very good high end machine, was this FSX or FS2004.

Are you using FSinn or SQUAWKbox any weather programs scenery etc.

Wycliffe Barrett: C3 Controller

atc5o.png

"if god meant for us to fly, he would have given us tickets" Mel Brooks

Matthew Garner
Posted
Posted
Hi

My first question is, how many other apps did you have open at the sametime. Your specs would indiate a very good high end machine, was this FSX or FS2004.

Are you using FSinn or SQUAWKbox any weather programs scenery etc.

Hey,

The only applications I had open at the time was Windows Live Messenger, Skype, Firefox, Microsoft Outlook 2010. I use FS2004 with squawkbox and activesky.

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

All of which take valuable resources, Iwould try shutting down a few and see what kind of issues arise then if any.

Wycliffe

Wycliffe Barrett: C3 Controller

atc5o.png

"if god meant for us to fly, he would have given us tickets" Mel Brooks

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted
All of which take valuable resources, Iwould try shutting down a few and see what kind of issues arise then if any.

Not on a 6GB quad core. Might be overheating, poor drivers, bad RAM.

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted (edited)

Cheers!

Luke

To be more specific, Power Supply. How big is it, Matthew?

EDIT: just putting your specs into the PSU Calculator, and [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming 3 stocks of DDR2 (to get your 6GB of memory), and one optical drive (I chose DVD+/-RW), you are already pulling 258W from your PSU. Are you sure your PSU can handle it?

BL.

Edited by Guest

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Matthew Garner
Posted
Posted

Cheers!

Luke

To be more specific, Power Supply. How big is it, Matthew?

BL.

It's an OCZ 600W PSU. Would it be best to buy a higher one?

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

PSU and the cooling of the unit. I don't think that system is screaming but slightly unfavorable conditions can really coz it to freeze (wierd it freezes when it heats up...). FWIW, I was advised and I did install a 700W PSU for a C2Q 4GB Ram with a nVidia card before it stopped freezing.

When is your next Flight||VATSIM HitSquad Member, ZOA/ZAK/GANDER/P1

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted

That should be more than enough. I was actually going to recommend nothing less than a 600W PSU based on the card alone. But you have that, so next would be testing memory, or the drivers. I'd say drivers first. which ones do you have for the card? there were debates going on about the 191.* nVidia drivers causing nightmares, so I dropped to 190.62 (I'll verify that when I check it tonight). After that, it would be memory..

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Matthew Garner
Posted
Posted

That should be more than enough. I was actually going to recommend nothing less than a 600W PSU based on the card alone. But you have that, so next would be testing memory, or the drivers. I'd say drivers first. which ones do you have for the card? there were debates going on about the 191.* nVidia drivers causing nightmares, so I dropped to 190.62 (I'll verify that when I check it tonight). After that, it would be memory..

BL.

At the moment I have the 196.21 drivers installed. I have done three flights today seeing if the full on freeze pops up again but it hasn't so far. (Although knowing my luck, it will be back!)

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted

BL.

At the moment I have the 196.21 drivers installed. I have done three flights today seeing if the full on freeze pops up again but it hasn't so far. (Although knowing my luck, it will be back!)

I know how you feel. I had an episode of FSX freezing for a while. I did everything under the sun to fix it. It finally stopped after I changed the video card. I kept my fingers crossed for a while. It almost appeared to be something that wouldn't go away. But it's been 4 years and no freezing.

When the culprit is found, I find that stability follows. I hope you have the same consistency as I found.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

http://www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

• Not a regular post, but a special
thread/message stuck to the top with special meaning… containing important forum information.

For FSInn/VATSIM issues, please test the FSInn Installation sticky and linked FAQ. It really works!