You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

SCEL Runway Problem For FSX And Approaching Question

Aharon Dayan

Aharon Dayan
Posted
Posted

Shalom and greetings all my pals,

I am making some relief cargo aid flights to SCEL from various locations. I have one problem. During my first flight to SCEL, a controller directed me to runway 17L but in my FSX default, I see runway 17 but not 17L or 17R. Where can I find update to correct FSX default SCEL please?

Another question is that Chile has high Andes mountains which prohibits descent below FL230 even if you are 5 minutes from SCEL airport. My question is that when I p[Mod - Happy Thoughts] over those mountains flying westward (example would be from SAEZ to SCEL), do I descent straight in direction as if I am going to Pacific Ocean and then make wide right 270 degree turn toward SCEL to buy descending time to appropriate runway approach altitude?

Is this correct?

Would appreciate answer so that I can be better informed and prepared when making some cargo aid relief flights to SCEL.

It may be true I can to go to forums of Chile version of Vatsim website but I do not speak Spanish.

Regards,

Aharon

CQwL8Nm.png

Jose Nicolas Larenas 89785
Posted
Posted

Aharon, you can find SCEL sceneries and updated on flightsim.com.

Nicolás Larenas

VATSIM Supervisor

www.tamevirtual.org

www.guayaquil-fir.org

Quito - Ecuador

Aharon Dayan
Posted
Posted

Jose,

Thanks but I am not sure if SCEL scenery found in www.flightsim.com is updated with two runways of SCEL.

Aharon

CQwL8Nm.png

Jose Nicolas Larenas 89785
Posted
Posted
Jose,

Thanks but I am not sure if SCEL scenery found in http://www.flightsim.com is updated with two runways of SCEL.

Aharon

Yes it is

Nicolás Larenas

VATSIM Supervisor

www.tamevirtual.org

www.guayaquil-fir.org

Quito - Ecuador

Amorette Yan
Posted
Posted
Another question is that Chile has high Andes mountains which prohibits descent below FL230 even if you are 5 minutes from SCEL airport. My question is that when I p[Mod - Happy Thoughts] over those mountains flying westward (example would be from SAEZ to SCEL), do I descent straight in direction as if I am going to Pacific Ocean and then make wide right 270 degree turn toward SCEL to buy descending time to appropriate runway approach altitude?

Is this correct?

Would appreciate answer so that I can be better informed and prepared when making some cargo aid relief flights to SCEL.

Hello there,

I flew into SCEL many many times on VATSIM and while the descent into SCEL from the east is fairly steep compared to other arrivals, it shouldn't happen that you are still required to stay above FL230 "even if you are 5 minutes from SCEL airport". The typical arrival into SCEL from SAEZ, for example, would be via the NAVAR 5 arrival, which lets you descend from FL260 to the runway elevation (1551 ft) in a little more than 70 NM; certainly just following the STAR path gives enough distance for you to descend without doing 270s.

Aharon Dayan
Posted
Posted

Shalom Amorette Yan,

Thanks How many feet per minute does NAVAR5 arrival require? I like no more than 2,000 feet per minute descent. I flew few relief aid cargo flights on vatsim to SCEL and I always, after crossing mighty ANDES mountains and after intercepting UMAKAL, flew straight to TBN waypoint and then made wide right 270 degree turn to buy descent time until I find myself on final approach to runway 17L.

Smiling I know you would disapprove of my method.

Aharon

CQwL8Nm.png

Gonzalo Ittusaca Zeballos
Posted
Posted

Hello Aharon

Try this: UMKAL at FL260 (not above) and 250 IAS, and follow the STAR NAVAR5, then you shouldn't have any problem in the final app.

regards

FIR Lima instructor

Aharon Dayan
Posted
Posted

Thanks, Gonzola

I enjoy using my method which is to fly west crossing Andes mountains to TBN and then make wide right turn using 270 degrees toward SCEL which allows me time to descend properly at 2,000 feet per minute to 7,000 ft from FL230.

Regards,

Aharon

CQwL8Nm.png

• 3 weeks later...
Santiago Gaymer
Posted
Posted

Hello Aaron!

Well, that NAVAR5 star is very tricky indeed, specially if you are flying heavy aircrafts. It's well known that also in real life pilots can't do this star with FMC and always have to take control while descending. The trick is, as was said above, to cross UMKAL FL260 and , if possible, 220Kts, then start descento to FL100 vs 2000 or 2500 fpm. As you p[Mod - Happy Thoughts] UMKAL, you should head a little to the right and fly to LODES intersection, and then make the turn to the left to intercept TBM VOR. That gives you a little more space to descend. ATCs do this always (or do it yourself if no ATC is on).

The other alternative is to cross the Andes via YESOS intersection, a little bit more to the south. I heard Air Canada take that way in real life when comming from SAEZ (B763), but I've never did it before.

Good luck, and see you arorund SCEL

Aharon Dayan
Posted
Posted

Thanks Santiago and Norbert for kind suggestions!!

Regards,

Aharon

CQwL8Nm.png