You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

[NOTAM] POSITION OPENING: Division Director – VATUSA

Bryan Wollenberg 810243

Bryan Wollenberg 810243
Posted
Posted

POSITION OPENING: Division Director – VATUSA

This position is appointed by and reports directly to the VATSIM North America Regional Director. The position has the authority to appoint staff members within the United States Division, including but not limited to VATUSA support staff and the ARTCC Air Traffic Managers.

The United States Division Director is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Division, and is accountable for all services provided by the Division. Services include ATC services, training, and user-support services. The Director will also be responsible for the timely submission of monthly status reports to the Regional Director.

This position requires a dedicated and motivated individual who has the time to give to such a position. Do not apply if you have the slightest doubt about the time commitment, as it is vast.

Applicants should have at least 12-months membership with VATSIM and extensive experience in a staff position. Applicants should also possess demonstrated management and leadership skills, and have an exemplary disciplinary record. Interested applicants can apply at http://www.vatna.net/applications/vatusa1_app.php

Application deadline: 22 March 2010, 0000Z

The top candidates will be selected for a final interview to be conducted following the application deadline.

Bryan Wollenberg

ZLA!

Bryan Wollenberg 810243
Posted
Posted

Just to note, the deadline is March 22nd, NOT May 22nd as was originally listed. Sorry for the typo.

Bryan Wollenberg

ZLA!

• 2 weeks later...
Bo Gercke 845743
Posted
Posted

Wow.... And again? And so are the days of our lives. I haven't been here in months. How coincidental. Whenever will the revolving door stop?

After short pause on VATUSA forum.....

Whoa.... Did I just read this right?http://forum.vatusa.us/index.php?showtopic=1759 VATUSA 1-3 QUIT? I believe that this, fine fellows of VATSIM, is a first.

Opher Ben Peretz 882232
Posted
Posted

Well Bo,

very few months ago I wrote exactly along your line, and Bryan replied that essentially everything is fine and dandy, and it is just my remote optics that see now the 6th division director being sought in so few years.

Somehow it reminds me of the Pope.

Happy Easter and Pesach everybody!

Regards, Opher Ben Peretz

Senior Instructor

APP_5106_LLBG.jpg

Bryan Wollenberg 810243
Posted
Posted
Well Bo,

very few months ago I wrote exactly along your line, and Bryan replied that essentially everything is fine and dandy, and it is just my remote optics that see now the 6th division director being sought in so few years.

After having reviewed your post again from a few months ago, I'm not really sure where I said that. You basically just posted a bunch of military quotes, after which I asked you to apply for the Division Director position instead of simply quoting British military leaders and desert commandos. You never took me up on my offer.

I too would like to find a Director who is in it for the long-haul, and we are certainly seeking to find that person again.

Bryan Wollenberg

ZLA!

Bo Gercke 845743
Posted
Posted

Opher, that's SOP 'round here. Check my blog to get more background on that. People are expendable problems rather than valued [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ets on this network and that is just how things are. It's easy to be a complete and utter jerk to someone when you can do it from the comfort of your mom's basement dressed in your Mickey Mouse slippers and bathrobe seeking self-importance and ego strokes over thousands of miles.

The new mantra is, "If you don't like it, leave." That's the BoG's perspective towards the membership; imagine what goes on "behind the scenes" where the BoG and certain Division Directors actually use coercion and intimidation to TRY to get people to comply. I've been saying it for a year and a day; the system is broken and needs an intervention. It's about to die from bulimia. Too much vomiting of people will make an organization deathly ill.

Bo Gercke 845743
Posted
Posted
I too would like to find a Director who is in it for the long-haul, and we are certainly seeking to find that person again.

Gotta tell you.... I eagerly anticipate seeing who is going to volunteer to take this position. With every p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ing moment, and every rotation of the revolving door, the chances of finding well-qualified people to fill these positions gets slimmer and slimmer. Not to mention an open acknowledgment from the BoG that Division Directors hold no "real" power, authority, or decision making ability. So... what makes this position so rewarding, again? I may have missed it the first time around.

Opher Ben Peretz 882232
Posted
Posted

Thank you Bryan,

I posted messages here in support of Vatsim members who I believe deserve quality management continuity of the US division. Surely, if so many division directors who when nominated are found to be best qualifiers, find it necessary to end their term so quickly, something must be inordinary in the kingdom. I am not sure what is meant by military quotes, but the same basic human resource management principles apply to both organization types. Being a Swiss FIR member, I didn't feel it would be appropriate to apply.

p.s. I resigned a division deputy director post 2 months after being asked to accept it by the RD. The reason was I saw that whatever I believe needed change, was out of my hands. Could serve as a hint.

Senior Instructor

APP_5106_LLBG.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Alan Dubois 1066383
Posted
Posted

Has there been a selection yet?

Bryan Wollenberg 810243
Posted
Posted

We are literally in the very last steps for choosing somebody, and are just working out a couple last things before we do. Should be coming very soon!

Bryan Wollenberg

ZLA!

Bo Gercke 845743
Posted
Posted

[Removed. Play nice. NB 870575]

J Jason Vodnansky 810003
Posted
Posted

Must be some traffic jam...

Paul Byrne
Posted
Posted

Yeah,

Looks like they're still getting black smoke from the papal conclave .

Cheers!

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Paul, they're still trying to confirm that you don't need to be a US citizen before you can get officially announced.... Can't wait for the party!!

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Bryan Wollenberg 810243
Posted
Posted

The interviews were all completed. The "problem" if you want to call it that, is that there were several very qualified candidates this go-around. The debate and discussion has not stopped since the interviews ended. We are absolutely committed to finding the right person for the job and will not rush the process simply for the sake of rushing the process. Has it taken longer than I expected? Oh yeah! I planned on choosing somebody for the position shortly after the interviews. We're currently in the process of wrapping the discussion up and will hopefully have an announcement very soon.

Bryan Wollenberg

ZLA!

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

I'm still waiting for Paul to read my reply and for the shoe to come flying across the ocean aimed directly for the back of my head.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted
I'm still waiting for Paul to read my reply and for the shoe to come flying across the ocean aimed directly for the back of my head.

Richard Gerrish

Developer, STM Applications Group

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted
The "problem" if you want to call it that, is that there were several very qualified candidates this go-around.

Not a problem at all. One can start on May 1st, the other will be ready to take over on December 1st, if all goes to form.

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

Opher Ben Peretz 882232
Posted
Posted

Seriously,

all who qualify can be advised so and enter a hold. When another replacement is needed, they will be approached first, without another tender and the long time involved. Whoever is chosen first and later by what order, is immaterial to Vatsim and fair to all others as long as it is unbiased.

The late Air Force commander Gen. Benny Peled said, that whatever matter of importance a unit commander hadn't been able to accomplish in his first year of tenure, he never will. Suggesting one could schedule this position change in advance, although US doesn't need fast rotations right now, following the last six.

Senior Instructor

APP_5106_LLBG.jpg

Bryan Wollenberg 810243
Posted
Posted
Seriously,

all who qualify can be advised so and enter a hold. When another replacement is needed, they will be approached first, without another tender and the long time involved. Whoever is chosen first and later by what order, is immaterial to Vatsim and fair to all others as long as it is unbiased.

That isn't necessarily a bad idea. The only problem is that it would prohibit new people from applying, which I wouldn't want to do. If you noticed, applications this time around were submitted into a database as opposed to having candidates email me with their resumes. This is so that in the future (in 4 or 5 years when the next VATUSA1 steps down ) people who applied in the past will not need to re-apply if they are still interested. They will only need to update their resume.

Bryan Wollenberg

ZLA!

Nicholas Taylor 1104922
Posted
Posted

So, how is the selection process going, Bryan? Any estimate on a time frame of sorts?

Nicholas Taylor

vZAU INS

Benton Wilmes
Posted
Posted

"We're currently in the process of wrapping the discussion up and will hopefully have an announcement very soon."

Either that statement still stands or they have someone selected and just haven't announced it yet...

There is an art . . . to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

Benton Wilmes

J Jason Vodnansky 810003
Posted
Posted

Must be a long discussion!

Perhaps the discussion is so that there is no personal responsibility for the decision. That way, if it doesn't work out, one can point to a group of people rather than questioning their own decisions.

Just my worthless pennies...

JV

Bryan Wollenberg 810243
Posted
Posted

No, actually Jason, the discussion is just as we have done in the past, using a system that emulates that in use by VATPAC. It has worked successfully over there for some time, and I love the concept. It is always better to involve a group of people in the decision making process, as far as I'm concerned. So you can put your conspiracy theories to rest.

For an update, a decision was reached over the weekend and the announcement will be made within the next day or so, after I've had a chance to appropriately brief the chosen individual and update him on the current happenings of the Division.

Bryan Wollenberg

ZLA!

J Jason Vodnansky 810003
Posted
Posted

Well, it seems we've heard this before from you...

"I was going to announce this this evening..." Except lo, someone removed that thread.

Anyway, time will tell, as it often does. Glad you think so highly of such a small region. I am sure they appreciate that.

Care to explain where I implied there was a conspiracy going or is this just a slanderous remark from an overwhelmed Regional Director whilst attempting to discredit a member who has struck a chord?

Best,

JV