You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Blind pilots

Juan Culasso 1144208

Juan Culasso 1144208
Posted
Posted

Dear friends of Vatsim Usa. I'm Juan Pablo a virtual blind pilot. I write for you to tray explain the situation about the taxi procedure. I flight using a screen reader (jaws for windows) www.freedomscientific.com and using FSNavigator to build my flight route. This software allows me to p[Mod - Happy Thoughts] to the plane fms, all the fixes, vor, and dep rwy and dest rwy. All the other thinks, like climb, descent, speed, flaps, are controlled by me. The taxi procedure unhappy, is impossible to do by a blind pilot with anny software. I would like to give ideas for you and you discuss it. In a airport with too much traphic for example, i can wati to the other planes take off and when the atc allows, i move my plane directly to the rwy. I know that yu are rules, but I wish you understand the very specific situation. I have not problems to wait 10 15 20 mins to take off. For land, if necessary i can do holdings, no problem, is very easy make a holding with fs navigator. The problem is only with the taxi. I do three or four flight with you. For example, with Robbie an app in Miami I spoke the situatin and he traied to help me. I always talk for the atc the climb and descent procedure to he coordinates perfectly, in the flight plan comments i always wite: Blind pilot, i cannot do taxi. Ok sirs, thanks alot for read my long post.

The best,

Juan.

Wade Williams 877539
Posted
Posted (edited)

Juan,

I think waiting until traffic allows and then slewing (jumping) to the runway is a perfectly acceptable solution and as long as you explain the situation to the controller, I can't see why anyone should have any problem with it. Kudos to you for understanding that you'll need to be extra patient to allow the controller time to accommodate this special request.

Obviously upon landing you can just disconnect once off the runway.

I would note however, that occasionally as controllers we get new students who are as young as 13-years-old (or younger that lied about their age). Such youngsters tend to be very enthusiastic about being a controller and will sometimes take the "control" part too far. I could easily see a new student like that refuse permission, insisting that you have to taxi. If so, I wouldn't waste my energy getting into an argument about it. I'd simply say "thanks anyhow" and fly somewhere else for that evening, while emailing the ATM of the facility to let him know you were not accommodated.

But as I said, that should be a rare experience. Best wishes to you.

Edited by Guest

Kevin Smith 1093860
Posted
Posted

While it's understandable that you will end up on the gr[Mod - Happy Thoughts] a little bit, my only guess would be to have the (patient) controller issue a progressive taxi at a very slow speed. I'd be happy to experiment with that as soon as I begin my ground training.

generate-signature-new-4.php?login=USA5733

Juan Culasso 1144208
Posted
Posted

Hi, thanks for understand. Yes, would be a good idea experiment that the ground vector me for do the taxi. But if the first tip for you is ok, wait to the others pilots take of and after that going directly to the rwy. thanks again! i'm glad for arriveto a good solution in a short time. Juan.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
Hi, thanks for understand. Yes, would be a good idea experiment that the ground vector me for do the taxi. But if the first tip for you is ok, wait to the others pilots take of and after that going directly to the rwy. thanks again! i'm glad for arriveto a good solution in a short time. Juan.

You might not even need to wait for all the other pilots. If the controller is willing, the two of you can coordinate it such that when your turn comes up, he tells you to "line up and wait" at which time you move your aircraft to the departure runway.

That way you can maintain your place in line instead of waiting for all other pilots to taxi and take off. It would be up to the controller to remember your position in the sequence and instruct you to move to the runway at the appropriate time.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

i think Ross has the best solution. One thing to add to it would be if you have a ground controller that isn't accomodating would be to PM the controller above him that is working tower or providing tower services to work something out. even when it's busy it won't be that hard to get you up and off without much(if any) of wait more then any other aircraft. Feel free to come look me up at LA and i'll be happy also to try and experment with ground vectors, keep in mind tho most ground controllers might not be able to do it.

Cheers

Rich Gerrish

ZLA_RC

Richard Gerrish

Developer, STM Applications Group

Juan Culasso 1144208
Posted
Posted
i think Ross has the best solution. One thing to add to it would be if you have a ground controller that isn't accomodating would be to PM the controller above him that is working tower or providing tower services to work something out. even when it's busy it won't be that hard to get you up and off without much(if any) of wait more then any other aircraft. Feel free to come look me up at LA and i'll be happy also to try and experment with ground vectors, keep in mind tho most ground controllers might not be able to do it.

Cheers

Rich Gerrish

ZLA_RC

Rich, is a good idea. I'm first officer at american airlines virtual. I think that if are few traphic a ground vector is really good to test. But if are 15 planes taxing, wait or coordinate to go directly to the rwy is a good too.

Thanks.

Juan.

Bryan Wollenberg 810243
Posted
Posted

It's like a no gyro vector...but on the ground. I love it! I don't see any reason why it couldn't be tried.

Bryan Wollenberg

ZLA!

Juan Culasso 1144208
Posted
Posted
It's like a no gyro vector...but on the ground. I love it! I don't see any reason why it couldn't be tried.

Bryan, i have a leg to do in aav cyul skrg next skrg kbwi and after kwbi mdsd. I believe in kbwi we can tried a ground vector, must be really great!

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

my thoughts exactly. anything is worth a shot once

juan: drop me a line here when you plan on coming to KLAX or KLAS and I'll pop on and give it a whirl

Richard Gerrish

Developer, STM Applications Group

Anthony Baker 1080999
Posted
Posted

or KORD/ KMDW

or KPDA or any tower in zau airsapce for that matter

ZAU S-2, Major Certified

ZAU S-1 Mentor

(Disclaimer: the post above does not necessarily express the opinion or stance of ZAU or ZAUs training program, this view is made by me and me alone)

7664.png

Ian Elchitz 810151
Posted
Posted

Without a doubt this could be easily handled by coordination with the controller to allow you to "pop up" on the runway.

Making you go through the process of progressive taxi instructions is in my opinion not required.

I'd simply explain the scenario to the controller and hopefully they can work things out. Good on ya for presenting the scenario to us here on the forum.

Ian Elchitz

Just a guy without any fancy titles

Juan Culasso 1144208
Posted
Posted
Without a doubt this could be easily handled by coordination with the controller to allow you to "pop up" on the runway.

Making you go through the process of progressive taxi instructions is in my opinion not required.

I'd simply explain the scenario to the controller and hopefully they can work things out. Good on ya for presenting the scenario to us here on the forum.

Ian thanks for your post. I'm glad because all of you are agree that my situation is diferent and all of you are giving greats ideas. I always put on the flight plan comments a short desciption of my situation, I don't know if the atc can read it.

Bryan Wollenberg 810243
Posted
Posted

Juan,

If you put it in the flight plan remarks, the controller can read it. With all the nonsense though that appears in remarks sections these days, there are a good amount of controllers who either won't read them, or just quickly glance over them. Even with the remarks, I would still bring it to the controller's attention, just so s/he is absolutely aware.

Happy flying!

Bryan Wollenberg

ZLA!

Juan Culasso 1144208
Posted
Posted

f

Juan,

If you put it in the flight plan remarks, the controller can read it. With all the nonsense though that appears in remarks sections these days, there are a good amount of controllers who either won't read them, or just quickly glance over them. Even with the remarks, I would still bring it to the controller's attention, just so s/he is absolutely aware.

Happy flying!

Ok Bryan, i always put this information in the remark section but every time i tell to the controller for read it.

Thanks again!

Scott DeWoody
Posted
Posted

Juan, I know Robbie and his crew in Miami are always willing to help, I control there sometimes myself and if you are there, we'll get you to the runway, no problem, whether it be by progressive taxi, or slewing directly there. Also, if you ever fly in Asia, Thailand to be specific, we have some very accomodating controllers working over there also.

Good luck, and as Bryan said, verbalizing what you put in the comments of your flight plan is a very good idea as some controllers don't look at those.

Scott DeWoody

CEO - American Virtual Airlines

joinava dot org

y572_1.jpg

Keith Smith
Posted
Posted

If your enjoyment would increase as a result of being able to taxi the aircraft from the gate to the runway, and you are comfortable that you might not always be able to receive such comprehensive service from ATC (if approach or center is serving as the ground controller, for example), then I would say go ahead and try to coordinate a progressive taxi.

However, if you are just as happy to pop up on the runway after receiving your clearance while at the gate, then I would certainly go for that option instead.

Best of luck, let us know how it works out!

I am very curious how you operate the aircraft, interpret charts, etc. Can you explain how you go about a typical flight from takeoff to landing?

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
I am very curious how you operate the aircraft, interpret charts, etc. Can you explain how you go about a typical flight from takeoff to landing?

I was just about to post a similar question ... it's fascinating that someone with visual impairments can fly a simulator ... I too would love to hear some details on how it's done, if you're willing to share.

Juan Culasso 1144208
Posted
Posted

I was just about to post a similar question ... it's fascinating that someone with visual impairments can fly a simulator ... I too would love to hear some details on how it's done, if you're willing to share.

Hi, i going to try to explain.

Preparing the flight plan.

KIAH KDfW. Firstly, i cannot read charts, i learn the dep and app procedures listening real ATc, for example.

I go to the asalink.net and i catch a route in the free area. In the american airlines virtual site, i use the fuel planer to put the amount of fuel in the plane.

After, i put the plane selected in a gate of KIAH, with the engins shut down and now, i use the fs navigator software. Nes plan, icao code of the dep airport, and i add point by point in the flight plan, using the route give for the find route site. and a destination rwy. The sid and star are automaticaly chosse for the fs navigator. When i readi,i read the first points of the sid and star and wire it. For talk for the AtC, my transition on dep and the pont in the app for land.After, i call the atc if are or in the unicom i write my dep or app for theo ther pilots. Unhappy, ihave not access directly to the native panel that job is do by fs navigator. The fs navigator controll the hdg only. the vertical speed, altitude and speed are set amually. the vor freqs, ils freqs, are set manually. For land, in the ILS app i use the APR to catch the glide but i land manually the fs nav only align with the runway the task to touch in the correct point depend of me.

Nicholas Taylor 1104922
Posted
Posted

Juan, it's a privilege for VATSIM to have a member like yourself. It just blows my mind that you're able to do a flight and land manually, let alone do much on a computer. I, for one, am astonished at the fact that you can even type as well as you do. Would you mind explaining that? Do you have a braille keyboard or something?

Nicholas Taylor

vZAU INS

Juan Culasso 1144208
Posted
Posted
Juan, it's a privilege for VATSIM to have a member like yourself. It just blows my mind that you're able to do a flight and land manually, let alone do much on a computer. I, for one, am astonished at the fact that you can even type as well as you do. Would you mind explaining that? Do you have a braille keyboard or something?

Nicholas, NO, my keyboard is not in braille. I can read braille, but i the computer i use a screen reader, jaws for windows.

you can see more information of this screen reader in

www.freedomscientific.com

I'm glad because i''m feelling very good in vatsim.

Nicholas Taylor 1104922
Posted
Posted

Wow, that looks like one hell of a program, Juan! Thanks for the info.

Blue Skies,

Nick

Nicholas Taylor

vZAU INS

Rahul Parkar
Posted
Posted

Yep, Definitely great to have a guy like you on the network, even with your disability (no offence) you find the time to be patient... Heck, if you ever see me anywhere around, KMCO - Orlando, or on Jacksonville Center, Feel free to fly in my airspace, i'd love to have you

Rahul Parkar

"On second thoughts Nappa, catch it, catch it with your teeth" -- Vegeta

Professional Nerd. (Professionally not professional)

Juan Culasso 1144208
Posted
Posted
Yep, Definitely great to have a guy like you on the network, even with your disability (no offence) you find the time to be patient... Heck, if you ever see me anywhere around, KMCO - Orlando, or on Jacksonville Center, Feel free to fly in my airspace, i'd love to have you

Rahul, thanks! Yesterday i fly on jackson ville airspace. The atc was Stephen.

And atc for KBDL? The next fly will be skrg kbdl.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Rahul, thanks! Yesterday i fly on jackson ville airspace. The atc was Stephen.

And atc for KBDL? The next fly will be skrg kbdl.

KBDL is covered by the Boston ARTCC. If you like, post a message in our forums at http://www.bostonartcc.net/ with the time of your flight. That'll give you the best chance of having ATC covering KBDL.