You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Blind pilots

Juan Culasso 1144208

Removed
Posted
Posted

I can only say to each and every blind pilot and controller out there that I think it is really fantastic that you join us in this aviation hobby. I have met visually impaired and blind controllers on VATSIM and I truly believe they diserve way more credit than us 20/20 controllers. Same goes for pilots. I ask all controllers and pilots to be considerate of visually impaired or blind controllers and pilots and offer them the best help you can give.

• 3 weeks later...
Eirik McFerrin 936992
Posted
Posted

I would suggest looking into the Its Your Plane software as well.

I have seen on their website that they support visually impaired pilots. The program also makes many (I think most) of the controls voice activated by way of a virtual co pilot. The copilot can also read back what is on gauges, tell you your distance out and other things that you may not have access to now.

It is a privilege to share the virtual sky with you

• 1 month later...
Robert Fersch
Posted
Posted

I'm glad because i''m feelling very good in vatsim.

And I am feeling very good you are here.

Juan, Your participation in Vatsim is inspirational and enriches us all. I am humbled and honored to share the virtual skies with you.

iflycapBOB.jpg

Finley Howard Stevens 1006
Posted
Posted

Juan I am Visually impaired myself due to an infection i got last year i am not fully blind but i find it hard to see at times and i am glad that you get the same experience as us over here i always wanted to fly a plane and when my eyes went bad i couldnt so now i have the next best thing if you ever need to ask something don't hesitate to email me at [email protected].

Take Care buddy see you in the skies!

• 1 year later...
Tomek Kowalik 1192678
Posted
Posted

HI. I'm also blind pilot, and I'm planning my first flight on vatsim. I'm flying with fs nav. My question is: How can I download sid/stars for fs nav? The server is unavailable.

Sorry for my poor English.

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

you cant download them from FSNav directly anymore, that was from the old fsnav website.

there was another site which i cant remember at the moment that had a bunch, majority were for south america though.

my recommendation is just add them manually and save them as you use them.

also remember that youll still have to use the charts as the charts will have more information about the procedure which is very important. if you dont have the chart, i do not recommend filing the procedure or accepting it if its [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned to you. otherwise you potentially may end up flying it wrong simply because you missed the important information in the chart remarks or description.

Tomek Kowalik 1192678
Posted
Posted

So without the charts it's not possible to fly SID and STAR procedures?

Daniel Hawton
Posted
Posted
So without the charts it's not possible to fly SID and STAR procedures?

It is HIGHLY NOT recommended. Just because your FMC has it doesn't mean it will fly the procedure correctly. That is why the charts exist.

When you file procedure X, we as ATC expect the full procedure to be flown. Telling us you can fly it by filing it or accepting it if we [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign it means that you will fly it as charted and that's what we ATC expect when we sequence you with other aircraft. If you don't follow the charted procedure, you're going to mess up our traffic flows.

• 6 years later...
Joshua Tubbs 1382787
Posted
Posted

Hi there,

I'm another blind pilot here, curious to know if it's still possible to fly with any kind of realism. Now that Its your Plane is gone, I am not sure how to use FSX pilot effectively to get going.

FSNavigator's successor, FSTramp, appears to be inaccessible, in that I'm not sure how to fly a flightplan once loaded. I got it loaded, but it's trial and error.

Any details as to the best programs to use would be great for this.

Rick Rump
Posted
Posted

Joshua,

You can pre-file your flightplan via https://cert.vatsim.net/fp/

As an aside, if you are using JAWS you should be able to get contextual menus to work though trial and error is certainly the case!

VATUSA Mid-west Region Manager | Former VATUSA Training Director | Former ZDC ATM/DATM/TA/WM

VATSIM Network Supervisor | Team 5

Joshua Tubbs 1382787
Posted
Posted

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the link. I was hoping Juan would chime in here, because I see he's been logging in as of late. I sent him a PM but he probably doesn't check those.

As far as contextual menus, in FSXSE, yeah they work for the simulator. I just wish there was a site that had textual charts, as I'd be stuck on Vatsim trying to figure out what the published altitudes and speed restrictions are for various Sids and Stars.

• 3 weeks later...
Rick Rump
Posted
Posted

Joshua,

Yeah I can understand the frustration there, I have to zoom in on my charts usually to make stuff out.

VATUSA Mid-west Region Manager | Former VATUSA Training Director | Former ZDC ATM/DATM/TA/WM

VATSIM Network Supervisor | Team 5