You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

ESE File Question

Nicholas Taylor 1104922

Nicholas Taylor 1104922
Posted
Posted

Let me preface this question by stating that I am not an ES user, I just work on the files for my ARTCC so I go solely based off of the feedback of our users.

For example, when an aircraft goes from CHI_CTR's airspace into C90 TRACON, it prompts the Center controller on which controller will be next, their sector ID, etc., etc. Which was easy enough for me to do when the border completely within another airspace. However, I am having trouble doing that for bordering ARTCC's. I'm being told that the border turns red and all that good stuff when the next controller is online. Unfortunately, it doesn't prompt them to handoff nor does it state the sector ID or whatever it's supposed to.

In the ESE file I have outlined the neighboring ARTCCs and their different sector IDs and everything so the basis is there. I also have outlined the coordinates of the physical border between us and them. I figured, why don't I just C/P those coords into a sector definition. So I did that and was told that it got a "border not closed" error but it worked as intended. Unfortunately, I'm a perfectionist and am unhappy with an error, even if it works right. I would like to know what I have to do to do this same thing without an error. I've tried tons of things but haven't been able to come up with it.

Any help much appreciated,

Nicholas Taylor

vZAU INS/FE

Nicholas Taylor

vZAU INS

Karl Kornel 964857
Posted
Posted
For example, when an aircraft goes from CHI_CTR's airspace into C90 TRACON, it prompts the Center controller on which controller will be next, their sector ID, etc., etc. Which was easy enough for me to do when the border completely within another airspace. However, I am having trouble doing that for bordering ARTCC's. I'm being told that the border turns red and all that good stuff when the next controller is online....

The border turning red is controlled by the DISPLAY lines in the appropriate SECTORLINE group. In other words, if you have a SECTORLINE group named X, and you have the following line:

DISPLAY:A:B:C

Then the border of SECTORLINE X will be displayed if you are controlling SECTOR A, and SECTORs B and C are controlled by different people.

...Unfortunately, it doesn't prompt them to handoff nor does it state the sector ID or whatever it's supposed to.

That probably means that you are missing SECTOR groups for the surrounding airspace, or that the SECTOR groups aren't properly set up: At a minimum, each SECTOR group needs to be linked to the appropriate SECTORLINE group (using BORDER), and you need a properly-made OWNER line (so EuroScope knows which controllers can own the sector). That also means that the other ARTCCs controllers (the ones that you care about) need to be in your .ese file, in the POSITIONS area.

In the ESE file I have outlined the neighboring ARTCCs and their different sector IDs and everything so the basis is there. I also have outlined the coordinates of the physical border between us and them. I figured, why don't I just C/P those coords into a sector definition. So I did that and was told that it got a "border not closed" error but it worked as intended. Unfortunately, I'm a perfectionist and am unhappy with an error, even if it works right. I would like to know what I have to do to do this same thing without an error. I've tried tons of things but haven't been able to come up with it.

Your SECTORLINE groups need to be closed shapes. In other words, the first COORD point needs to be the same as the last COORD point. That will explain the error you were getting.

As for the sectors, here's the stuff to remember:

SECTORLINE groups are used to...

• Display the outlines of online controllers, as controlled by the DISPLAY lines in the SECTORLINE group.
  • To tell EuroScope which sector owns which airspace, as controlled by the BORDER line in the appropriate SECTOR group.

SECTOR groups are used to...

• Define a block of controlled airspace.

If you're ever unsure that your OWNERS are set up correctly, log in to SweatBox as the position you're wondering about, go to Other SET -> Sector Ownership Setup, and take a look at what EuroScope thinks you own!

A. Karl Kornel - vZID C1, FE, and Mentor

Smoke Bomb! POOF

Nicholas Taylor 1104922
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the info, Karl! You answered my question and more!

Nicholas Taylor

vZAU INS