You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

SVFR outside of the US?

Karl Kornel 964857

Karl Kornel 964857
Posted
Posted

Hello!

I was wondering, is there such a thing as Special VFR (SVFR) outside of the United States? While doing a training session today, I realized that the flight plan setting dialog does not have the option to make a flight plan SVFR. That is why I was wondering, does SVFR exist outside of the United States?

A. Karl Kornel - vZID C1, FE, and Mentor

Smoke Bomb! POOF

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted (edited)

Karl

Yes, is the short answer. Certainly in the UK. Aslong as you put it in your remarks, you will get the service. [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming that the controller is qualified and has had training to facilitate that request.

Wycliffe

Edited by Guest

Wycliffe Barrett: C3 Controller

atc5o.png

"if god meant for us to fly, he would have given us tickets" Mel Brooks

David Saunders 818672
Posted
Posted

Funnily enough I asked this same questions only a few days ago for the option to be added on the Beta forum

non-discript self importance signature

Oliver Gruetzmann
Posted
Posted

But as far as I know, you don't file SVFR outside the US.

You file I / V / Z / Y, the rest is done via the remarks or simply depends on the conditions (airspace, procedures, weather).

For example, in Germany ATC clears you to leave / enter controlzone special VFR (you file V), and if you intend to fly VFR at night, you file a V Flightplan and put RMK/N VFR NIGHT in the remarks section.

Not sure how much of this is ICAO.