You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

VRC issuie

Edward Longe 1129455

Edward Longe 1129455
Posted
Posted

Oaky to cut to the chase VRC is playing up on me. Basicley my vis range is stuck at 130nm and won't move. I have moved it down to 10nm (for ground) and when I save session profile it jumps back to 130 and sometimes it will jump stright back. I have re-downloaded and reinstalled VRC but I still can't get it to where it is supposed to be! I think it must have either become corrupt while downloading or a bug on Windows 7 64bit. Can someone offer some advice to get the supervisors of my back. I have already redownloaded and reinstalled. And I do click apply and OK!

Austrian VACC Member

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Do any changes to your profile take effect? Like if you move the window or open additional scope windows, then save the profile, do those changes take effect the next time you launch VRC and load that profile?

I had an issue on Win7 64 bit where the INI file somehow got set to read-only, so none of my changes would be saved.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Tomas Hansson
Posted
Posted

Hmmm. Windows 7, eh?! If VRC is installed in the default "C:\Program Files (x86)" folder, you will need to run it as Administrator in order to write the settings back into the ini file. Ross, feel free to correct me if I am wrong...

Tomas Hansson

Edward Longe 1129455
Posted
Posted

Yes sadley it is W7. All the other changes take effect but not the vis range! I am also running as admin.

Austrian VACC Member

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

From a programming standpoint, I can't think of any way one setting in the profile could get stuck and not others, so I'm at a loss.

Have you tried editing the vis range setting in the INI file directly?

Tomas Hansson
Posted
Posted
Yes sadley it is W7. All the other changes take effect but not the vis range! I am also running as admin.

Just to confirm. You are not only logged in as an Admin user but you also explicitely either have the "Run as administrator" checkbox ticked off in the preferences or select "Run as admin" from the right-click pop-up menu?! You should then get a confirmantion dialog and proceed. If you are doing that, I have no clue why the settings don't get saved. Changing the setting using a text editor is one option. (You may have to run the text editor in admin mode as well...) Good luck!

Tomas Hansson

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Tomas, it sounds like most of his settings are being saved fine ... just not the vis range setting. Makes no sense to me.

• 2 weeks later...
Patrik Yngver
Posted
Posted
Tomas, it sounds like most of his settings are being saved fine ... just not the vis range setting. Makes no sense to me.

Indeed, but the before mentioned reason, files becoming read-only to the normal user gave me a bunch of problems, so a good tip to try and resolve problems, run VRC (or any other software that is not working proplerly) as Administrator. Just don't do this with programs you do not know what they are for or don't know how they got installed

If it is indeed the case that only the visibility setting doesn't get saved, then I agree it's strange. I couldn't modify the serverlist unless I opened the text file "As Administrator".

Patrik Yngvér

VATSIM Thailand vACC Deputy Director

C3 ENR Controller

ESNO, Sweden

spacer.png