You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Routes and crossing 180 longitude

Carl Stallone 925048

Carl Stallone 925048
Posted
Posted

Operating in Anchorage Center (as well as I would guess some of the Russia, China, Japan sectors) the route does not calculate or display correctly when the route will cross 180 longitude (same for time or distance calculations in the "planes" list). Is there a workaround for this on any affected sector?

Todor Atanasov 878664
Posted
Posted

Only G can answer this one. Copied to the beta forum.

Carl Stallone 925048
Posted
Posted

Thanks.

A second part of the question would be that our airspace crosses the 180 line, and generally we've been just sending the traffic to advisory frequency before they cross westbound, as they will disappear from our scope. Is there any way to regain visibility for the controller West of the 180 as well? Setting the vis west of the line doesn't work.

Todor Atanasov 878664
Posted
Posted

I'm not sure if it is a ES issue or server issue. Is the traffic shown in VRC?

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

The server sees the world as flat, with the divider being at 180deg. In VRC a user can open a second window with a vis point set. I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume ES users can do something similar.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Karl Kornel 964857
Posted
Posted

I wonder, would it be possible to work around the issue by settings two vis points, one east of the International date line, and one west?

A. Karl Kornel - vZID C1, FE, and Mentor

Smoke Bomb! POOF

Carl Stallone 925048
Posted
Posted

The issue does exist with VRC as well, but the setting of the vis points to the west of the line doesn't help. We can open a separate sector file and see only what's west of the line, but the same problem to the east, and coordination is a bit tough between the two - if you wait for the eastern controller to be able to see the target, you can't handoff, and if you handoff early the eastern sector can't see the target. May be a vatsim limitation, but was hoping someone had another workaround.

Add to it the size of our airspace - we need all 4 vis points for the area east of 180, and even that will not provide adequate radio coverage for the aircraft.

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

I will implement the variable back-end in ES. That will default to the center point defined in your SCT +-180 degree. For the server issue I guess that multiple visibility points should work.

Gergely.

EuroScope developer