You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Computer Upgrade

John Graham 1036677

John Graham 1036677
Posted
Posted

Hey guys

I am looking to upgrade my computer. I only run FS2004, so i will not need something super powerful. Anyways, here are my current computer specs:

-Intel DP43TF - 1333MHz FSB - 8GB - DDR2-800/PC2-6 400 Desktop Board

-E8500 LGA775 3.16G 6MB 1333M FSB Boxed Processor 3.16GHz - 1444MHz FSB

-Corsair 4Gb XMS2-8500D Dominator Twin2X Dual Channel DDR2 Kit (2x2GB)

-Gigabyte 9800GT DDR3 1GB Dual DVI TV-O HDCP

-Windows XP 32

I am getting excellent frame rates with this set up on FS2004, but the anti-aliasing is terrible. I tried out nHancer and got excellent results for a while until i got the latest update for my 9800 GT from nVidia, and then nHancer made everything worse after that. I also have a spare Windows Vista 32-bit i got when i was buying my laptop. Do you guys think it would be beneficial to use that instead of XP.

So if there is any suggestions such as switching to Vista or upgrading my Graphics card or even fixing nHancer, it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks guys

asb4.jpg

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

If your getting good frames and your only issue is the AA, then you should pick up a GTS250 or a GTX260.

sig.php?pilot=1199&type=101

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted
I am getting excellent frame rates with this set up on FS2004, but the anti-aliasing is terrible. I tried out nHancer and got excellent results for a while until i got the latest update for my 9800 GT from nVidia, and then nHancer made everything worse after that.

Then go back to the old driver version.

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted
I am getting excellent frame rates with this set up on FS2004, but the anti-aliasing is terrible. I tried out nHancer and got excellent results for a while until i got the latest update for my 9800 GT from nVidia, and then nHancer made everything worse after that.

Then go back to the old driver version.

Cheers!

Luke

Agreed. The newer nVidia drivers are really bad. After reading about how many people were having trouble with them on other games in the nVidia forums, I'm glad I have gone no higher than 191.07. That was the last good release before their problems started. I'd say to go back to that version, and if you're wanting higher framerates, go with the GTX260. Honestly, I don't think you'd need any newer hardware. What you could use, is new software; specifically, the OS. While XP is great, that 3.25GB limit is killing you. I'd say to make the jump to Windows 7 64bit, and if your motherboard has the slots, drop in another 4GB of Corsairs.

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

I just downloaded the latest Nvidia drivers, and I'm not having any issues at all.

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted
I just downloaded the latest Nvidia drivers, and I'm not having any issues at all.

Good news for John, then. He can downgrade the drivers, buy a new card, or play FS on your computer.

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted

Hi, Darrol. Great news that the new drivers work. There are occasions where upgrading doesn't remove all the files from the older version. So the person might still be able to benefit by the new drivers by ensuring that they manually (or use a graphic driver removal tool) removing all the files from the older driver.

You can use Driver Sweeper from the download section of http://flightsim.apollo3.com .

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

http://www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

• Not a regular post, but a special
thread/message stuck to the top with special meaning… containing important forum information.

For FSInn/VATSIM issues, please test the FSInn Installation sticky and linked FAQ. It really works!

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

I'm running a GTX250 though. The 9800 is quite old.

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted
I'm running a GTX250 though. The 9800 is quite old.

Just because it is an older model doesn't mean that it isn't good or even highly effective.

I have something older: an 8800GT 512MB. I'm still pushing out 60+ FPS with the 191.07 drivers, with all FS9 sliders maxed. The 9600GT pushes out as much as the 8800GT, with just a slightly higher core clock. The 9800GT is easily comparable, so why spend the money on a GTX250 when you can get stellar performance out of the 9800GT?

If this were FSX, then I could possibly see this. but FS9? overkill.

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

John Graham 1036677
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the info guys. I think i will get the older drivers. But i don't have enough money for Windows 7 64 bit. I do have a Vista 32 bit. Would that work well too?

asb4.jpg

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

you can try it if you really want but I wouldn't recommmend it

Richard Gerrish

Developer, STM Applications Group

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted
Thanks for the info guys. I think i will get the older drivers. But i don't have enough money for Windows 7 64 bit. I do have a Vista 32 bit. Would that work well too?

If you're looking at upgrading hardware, you'll definitely have enough to grab Windows 7.

Another 4GB of DDR2-800 costs more.

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

John Graham 1036677
Posted
Posted

If you're looking at upgrading hardware, you'll definitely have enough to grab Windows 7.

Another 4GB of DDR2-800 costs more.

BL.

Wow thanks for the link. Only $90. The place i was looking at is in Calgary and it was going for $200 CAN.

asb4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
John Graham 1036677
Posted
Posted

Good news I fixed nHancer. Been flying online. SSSOOO much fun. But i am not getting the FPS I want now. I think 10-30. If i want higher FPS, should i get Win7 w/ 4 more GB DDR2?

asb4.jpg

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted
Good news I fixed nHancer. Been flying online. SSSOOO much fun. But i am not getting the FPS I want now. I think 10-30. If i want higher FPS, should i get Win7 w/ 4 more GB DDR2?
Win 7 x64 bit and 4 more GB certainly made a huge difference in my FS, courtesy BL's ideas of course!! Don't forget the 64-bit part which is what will use memory over 3.25GB.

When is your next Flight||VATSIM HitSquad Member, ZOA/ZAK/GANDER/P1

John Graham 1036677
Posted
Posted
Win 7 x64 bit and 4 more GB certainly made a huge difference in my FS, courtesy BL's ideas of course!! Don't forget the 64-bit part which is what will use memory over 3.25GB.

yes of course.

Thankyou very much

asb4.jpg