You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

How will this computer run FS9?

John Graham 1036677

John Graham 1036677
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi Guys

I am now in the market for a new computer.

I was wondering what you guys think about the computer i am thinking of getting. I heard the i5 is a dual core but is a lot better than the core 2 duo.

Intel i5-970 @ 3.46 GHz - OC 3.8 GHz

4 GB DDR3 1333

GTX 260

500 GB @ 7200 RPM

24x Disk reader

700W PSU

Edited by Guest
asb4.jpg

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted

This will make FS2004 scream, with either Windows 7 64bit or Windows XP.

Just be sure that your case's PSU can handle the card and CPU, and you're good to go.

Nothing at the PSU calculator for the i5-970. The closest it has is the i5-650, so using that, and plugging in your specs (and I'm [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming 2.2GB for the memory), you're looking at pulling 259 watts. a 500W PSU should work, but I'd play it safe and go with a 650W or bigger.

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

John Graham 1036677
Posted
Posted
This will make FS2004 scream, with either Windows 7 64bit or Windows XP.

Just be sure that your case's PSU can handle the card and CPU, and you're good to go.

Nothing at the PSU calculator for the i5-970. The closest it has is the i5-650, so using that, and plugging in your specs (and I'm [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming 2.2GB for the memory), you're looking at pulling 259 watts. a 500W PSU should work, but I'd play it safe and go with a 650W or bigger.

BL.

Okay awesome. I was planning on getting a 700W PSU. I will edit my first post with the PSU in it.

Thanks

asb4.jpg

Ivan Kovacevic 920456
Posted
Posted

Nothing at the PSU calculator for the i5-970.

Nothing about it on Intel's website either.

An i5-670, though has similar specs.

James McMannamy
Posted
Posted

This is a very similar setup to what I have . . . I've got all the sliders to the right in FSX and it is smooth, even in the most complex of scenery areas. I would imagine FS9 will run unbelievably well.