You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Creating flight plans in FS Nav - missing fixes

Andrew McCabe

Andrew McCabe
Posted
Posted

I've tried creating FP's with FSNav using the SID's and STAR's for the approp airports, but when I file the FP it doesn't always meet with the CTR's approval. When I go to edit per the CTR's instructions, I often find some of the fixes dont seem to exist in FSNav.

As an example. Flying IOM to Manchester I need to p[Mod - Happy Thoughts] a fix called L10 somewhere between IOM and WAL, but I can't find it on FSNav. Similar thing happened last night in the opposite direction but the controller allowed me to follow my own FP as it was fairly close anyway. Just wondering why this happens and how do I create / find flight plans that are accurate.

Thanks

Andrew

Rob Jones 871775
Posted
Posted

Andrew,

L10 is an airway it is basically a road between two places, to view airways you need to click on the red 'H' and 'L' in FSNAV on the right hand side, this will show the airways.

So in a made up flight plan:

IOM L10 KOKSY

You would find IOM on FSNAV, and from it should be an airway (for examples sake we'll use L10), you follow that line until you reach KOKSY (the intersection), that would be your route.

Hope this helps

Scott Keller 901533
Posted
Posted

For flying EGNS-EGCC you don't need to file any airways cos the STAR into CC starts at the IOM VOR, so the route is "IOM MIRSI1C"

Scott Keller

Andrew McCabe
Posted
Posted

Rob,

Thanks for that. I had set up FSNav to hide a lot of the info to avoid clutter, but yes I can now see L10.

When creating FP's I've been selecting SID's and STAR's but it seems to create a very convuluted route. Tried just selecting High Altitude Airways and bingo it follows the L10.

Bill Casey
Posted
Posted

Andrew,

I agree it's not "smack in the face obvious" at first - but one of the best things I did was buy a couple of UK IFR charts, they are filthy cheap at £3-£5 a go and you'll get all the airways and fixes in front of you. When flying IFR you definitely need the airways buttons that Rob referred to switched on in FSNav. Be aware though that some of the SIDS and STARS in FSNav are now sadly getting out of date but most controllers will be forgiving of that if you're nice to them. Some of the foreign STARS in FSNav don't exist at all any longer (e.g. at Vienna) but at least in FSNav you can create them with a bit of research via the freebie charts from places like Eurocontrol.

Bill

G-BILL

Bill Casey