You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Aircraft Object shows wrong plane

Troy Woods 1150922

Troy Woods 1150922
Posted
Posted

Hey guys.

I am using xsquawkbox on X Plane, with OS X.

Although everything else seems to work OK, I am having no luck in selecting my aircrafts appearance to others. i.e ATC and other pilots.

If for example I am flying a Piper PA-46-310P, when I connect via plugins menu and the 'Connect' box appears, I enter my 'call sign' and 'real name', server, port and ID etc.

I then type 'Piper' into the 'Model' box and from the drop-down menu I select the line which has PA46:PIPER:Malibu.... Within this line exists the PA-46-310P.

Despite this, my aircraft appears to everyone else as a Cessna 172 without any paint or details. Just plain white.

Now by going into my xsquawkbox resources folder and opening the 'CSL' folder, I can see a list of folders for Jets and Props. Having seen this, it became obvious that there is no .obj or .png file for a Piper PA-46.

I have tried copying the X Plane files for the PA-46 into here, but still no joy.

I experimented by downloading a 'P180 Avanti' from the X-plane.org, CSL download section and dropped this into my xSquawkbox-CSL-Props folder, but despite selecting this when connecting I still get a Cessna C172 in plain, boring, white.

I have tried the jets when connecting and they work OK, so my question is this.

Where can I get .obj and .png files to place in my 'CSL' folder for other aircraft, such as Piper and Cirrus for example. Even a better looking C 172 would be nice?

Once I have them, what am I doing wrong that prevents them from being visible to others, once connected?

Another related issue is that when I choose the PA-46 from the drop down menu and connect, it changes my call sign to PA46.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Chris Kawchuk 1129097
Posted
Posted

> Despite this, my aircraft appears to everyone else as a Cessna 172 without any paint or details.

You might be confused as to how CSL libraries work.

In order for me to see you as a Piper PA-46-310P, I need to have that loaded into *my* CSL Library.

If "the other guy" has no CSL library for your type of plane that you're advertising to VATSIM, it's completely up to his local client to select an appropriate plane object to represent you (which you have no control over). CSL's are purely "local" in scope. They are not transmitted to others across the network - hence if you do a funky custom paint job on a B737, nobody but you will see it.

Secondly, if you add additional CSL librarties, you need to install them into the root folder of the CSL's; not into a subdirectory (in order for Xsquawkbox to read in the data/text files).... XSB scans the "Xsquawkbox Resources/CSL" for files called xsb_aircraft.txt - once it sees one, it does not recurse into subdirectories (wade, pls correct me if Im wrong here!). Hence, when you added your new CSL into a subdirectory of props/, there was already an xsb_aircraft.txt file at the root of that - and XSB didn't look any further.

I suggest you place all additional XSB CSLs directly into the "CSL/" directory. I have added hundreds of CSL aircraft, and once I did so, XSB renders the "other guy's" aircraft properly - mind you - living within the restrictions of what it knows. If XSB cannot find an exact match - it'll choose a plane that's "in the general idea" of the opponent's plane... hence a Piper PA-46 becomes a C172 if I don't have any CSL which matches the Piper make/model.

Hope this makes sense.

Regards,

- CK.

Jordan Krushen 1135174
Posted
Posted

I suggest you place all additional XSB CSLs directly into the "CSL/" directory. I have added hundreds of CSL aircraft, and once I did so, XSB renders the "other guy's" aircraft properly - mind you - living within the restrictions of what it knows. If XSB cannot find an exact match - it'll choose a plane that's "in the general idea" of the opponent's plane... hence a Piper PA-46 becomes a C172 if I don't have any CSL which matches the Piper make/model.

Any chance you'd be up for sharing a zip of your collection? I just have the stock XSB CSLs, and while I'd like to add more aircraft to it, doing it one at a time doesn't seem all that fun

It is pretty funny to see a 737 hover-taxiing sideways down the field, but actually seeing a proper helicopter would be nice too.

8942.png