You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Initial Start Error

Brendan Chen 943434

Brendan Chen 943434
Posted
Posted

Hi guys,

This is the first time I've ran into this problem and have no clue what is causing it. Basically I tried to run VRC (on this machine I've never ran it before), and an error message pops up saying "Could not open UDP voice port. Perhaps another VATSIM program is running such as ASRC?"

This message although self-explanatory, but I could not locate anywhere that might be using a UDP voice port, even looking in task manager didn't help.

What else could be causing this problem and how can I over come it?

Cheers

Brendan Chen

VATPRC Tech Support

You make the difference!

672A68079898-1_zps98cef54d.png

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

prior to starting VRC were you running SB or FSInn?

Richard Gerrish

Developer, STM Applications Group

Brendan Chen 943434
Posted
Posted

No, VRC is the only software I have that is of VATSIM nature on that computer. I do also have TWR Trainer and ACSim, and ASE v1.3, but I doubt those would interfere with VRC.

Brendan Chen

VATPRC Tech Support

You make the difference!

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

what else was running at the time? could be another program using the same port

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
Hi guys,

This is the first time I've ran into this problem and have no clue what is causing it. Basically I tried to run VRC (on this machine I've never ran it before), and an error message pops up saying "Could not open UDP voice port. Perhaps another VATSIM program is running such as ASRC?"

This message although self-explanatory, but I could not locate anywhere that might be using a UDP voice port, even looking in task manager didn't help.

What operating system? If it's Vista or Win 7, you might try running VRC as an administrator.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Brendan Chen 943434
Posted
Posted

I'm using XP, but I will still try admin

I'm using work computer to do this, if that makes any difference?

Brendan Chen

VATPRC Tech Support

You make the difference!

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

I'm using work computer to do this, if that makes any difference?

thats could be the issue there depending on how the PC and the network is configured

Richard Gerrish

Brendan Chen 943434
Posted
Posted

If i can get on using my laptop to the work network and use VRC, does that mean the problem lies in my computer?

I've been [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned admin rights so I can alter the computer how I like it. Have you got any pointers as to what the setting of the computer should be for this to work?

Brendan Chen

VATPRC Tech Support

You make the difference!

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted
If i can get on using my laptop to the work network and use VRC, does that mean the problem lies in my computer?

I would hazzard to say yes then it could lie within the computer. it also depends on how your companies network is layed out and structured. For instance I have admin rights on the PC i use at work and cannot connect to vatsim due to blocked ports on their hardwired network, but i can connect with my laptop that goes thru their wireless network.

Richard Gerrish

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

your boss must be a pretty darn cool guy to let you waste time controlling online at work

Brendan Chen 943434
Posted
Posted
your boss must be a pretty darn cool guy to let you waste time controlling online at work

Well, work is more a general term, I'm not getting paid to be there, in fact, I must pay to be there...

Let's put it this way, I'm a PhD student who manages his own time.

But it seems to be quite troublesome, since I only have a windows netbook, pretty difficult doing controlling there. :S

Anyway thanks for all your help!

Brendan Chen

VATPRC Tech Support

You make the difference!

• 2 weeks later...
Brendan Chen 943434
Posted
Posted

Here's an interesting thing... I tried few days again, VRC worked for some reason! I mean that's good for me, except that's strange the fact I didn't modify the settings on anything, and it seems to work.

Just thought I mention that.

Cheers

Brendan Chen

VATPRC Tech Support

You make the difference!