You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

EuroScope beta spots

Gergely Csernak

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

Hi all,

before and after the release of EuroScope v3.1, we spent some thoughts on how we could improve the development process of EuroScope in the light of what we have in mind for future versions. Without going into details, let me just say that there are still lots of major changes to be implemented, which made us realize, that we need to test some new approaches to improve productivity. Reality is, that my time for development is limited besides my day-time job, so we are unable to proceed as fast as we would like to.

However the plug-in environment is a very powerful tool, as some of the already developed plugins impressively demonstrate. That made us consider outsourcing part of the core features into plugins, to share some of the workload and to try to include some new capable hands into core development.

Here is what we are going to try (and what we are offering):

During the last months, we cleaned up the current beta-team and removed the inactive members of the team. Instead of just appointing some new members for the hereby freed spots, we want to try something new, and we expect something in return besides the usual testing participation. Since there have been lots of people in the past, who tried to get in by asking over and over again, hopefully some of them are still interested and are willing to give some of their time and programming ability in return.

As a test, we are now offering 10 spots for the beta-team for people who are capable of plugin development. You will need to demonstrate that capability by either presenting a (large) plug-in project you are already working on, or by at least showing your knowledge about plug-in development and by giving some perspective in what you think you can contribute during the next months.

If you already know that you will not have time during the next months, do not apply for those spots, as we expect to see some working progress from you. If you join now, and in three months noone has heard from you, you will lose your spot. We want to try to [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign some of the core development tasks to you, and have you implement them as core-plugins deployed with the installer. This is still an idea, so we don't expect everything to work out smoothly from the beginning. But if this works as we hope, it should significantly improve development.

So if you always wanted to get your hands on the beta (which is by the way now limited to CIDs of official testers, so there will not be any leak as the version deployed by someone from the team last year), and if you are able to put some effort into development, please send your application to [email protected] using the following template to specify what you can contribute. In this case, obviously number 6 is mandatory for an application to be considered:

1 - testing new features an reporting bugs

2 - testing on different operating systems (XP, VISTA, Win7)

3 - designing new features (suggesting and describing the exact behavior for coding)

4 - adding real life experience

5 - updating docomeentation (indicate if you are ready to translate it to different languages)

6 - plug-in development (indicate if you have your own idea, or if you are ready to build official plug-ins like strip bay, counter clock, etc)

7 - supporting on VATSIM forums

8 - testing non beta bug issues and prepare repeatable environment for debugging

9 - helping on beta forum (cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ifying the suggestions and bugs)

Gergely.

EuroScope developer

• 8 months later...
Stephan Boerner 945550
Posted
Posted

Since the response to this offer has been very ... limited at best, let me try to point out some reasons why plugin developers really should apply and can only benefit from this offer:

You are already working on your plugin(s), so we don't expect any additional effort from you besides the one you are already making. The only thing we don't want is small one-time plugin projects that would not really be worth mentioning and have the sole purpose of getting into the beta test. That of course would and will not work out. Of course it would be very much appreciated if you can implement existing requests and by doing that taking some of the workload from Gergely's shoulders, but this is just optional.

You will have direct access to development, and you will not only know in advance what changes you might have to adapt to, but you can also directly request any changes you might need for your desired features.

You have a platform to talk to other developers, where someone else might already have solved the problem you are currently working on.

To be honest I never understood why noone was standing in line at our doorstep when this was announced, even though there obviously are people outside the beta developing plugins. So consider this your second chance to pick up this offer ...

Stephan Boerner

VATEUD - ATC Training Director

EuroScope Board of Designers | GVCCS Beta Tester

edff,euroscope,ger1oic,lhaoic.jpg

EuroScope Quick Start Guide

• 1 month later...
Halldor Bui Jonsson
Posted
Posted

Somehow I have managed to miss this post, application sent

--------------------

Best regards

--------------------

Halldor

• 6 months later...
Michal Fira
Posted
Posted

Is there any info when it will be released? I can't wait

Michal Fira (1117392) C3

VATSIM Network Supervisor and Membership Manager - NA

0.png

Dan Arsenault 949706
Posted
Posted

+1

Dan [Mod - Happy Thoughts]nault

CZQM/CZQX Instructor

• 1 month later...
Emidio Bianco 1140122
Posted
Posted

Hi, I'm interested but now for 1 week I'm busy.

So I've a couple of questions:

1- ES can connect to other server? And what is the protocoll?

2- What is the protocoll for data exchange?

Can I implement a plugin with custom flight data exchange from an custom server?

(just a couple of questions )