You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

runway selection?

Romano Lara

Romano Lara
Posted
Posted

I'm just wondering, the normal departure runway for heavies is 16R if I got it right. However at times, a controller issues 16L, which a bit shorter and farther = extended length of taxi time. Is this normal, to [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign heavies at 16L when you're parked from the South of 16R? Just wondering.

Romano Lara
vACC Philippines, Manager - Training & Standards
04819c_4181f294a6c34b5aa4d8a82c0fb448c5~mv2.webp

Arjun Murthy 1051343
Posted
Posted

In Real life for domestic, yes

Romano Lara
Posted
Posted

Thanks, Arjun. But I'm talking about international departures. My flight was SY-HNL.

Romano Lara

Arjun Murthy 1051343
Posted
Posted

Probably a newer tower controller thinking you go to the eastern runway for an eastbound departure.

You should've gotten a Kampi1 of 16R or a Richmond 2 Radar off 34L or a sydney 3.

Now you know for next time . 16L/34R is only used by heavies if an aircraft is broken down on 16R/34L. Theres a video on youtube somewhere of a 747 taking off on 34R but its not usual.

Arjun

Trent Hopkinson
Posted
Posted

16L can be used for aircraft up to A330-300 size. (ie A340, A380, 777, 747, MD11 etc usually don't use it, and if they have to due to 16R being closed for incidents, then they are often severely weight restricted. - ie throw some bags out of the hold kind of thing)

16L is also almost never used for aircraft going to Melbourne/Canberra, but 34R is almost always used for these destinations via MARUB3.

Some noob towers get told that the 34L WOL transition is wrong for aircraft going to YMML, and then start trying to pump all domestics to that runway, which is correct with runway 34 ops, but not for 16.

Aircraft going overseas from the International apron are usually sent to 34L/16R with the occasional exception of 737 and A320 aircraft going to New Zealand. The usual departure for 34L/16R for internationals are as Arjun said before. KAMPI or RIC departures with the RADAR transition. SY1 is also available.

qfafin.png

Trent Hopkinson YMML. www.youtube.com/musicalaviator WorldFlight 2002,2008,2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2015

James White
Posted
Posted

To add to this, you will be [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned the "Sydney 3" departure if you cannot comply with the required climb gradient on the RIC2/KAMPI1 departure chart. Usually the 777's that go to LAX can make the gradient, however the 747's find it hard to meet the gradient, therefore needing the SYD3 departure.

Kind Regards,

James White 1054550

VATPAC C1 ENR Controller

2168683.png

• 3 weeks later...
Greg Barber
Posted
Posted

Don't forget that you are PIC are able to question the runway [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ignment. After all you decide what your takeoff distance will be and if the runway ain't long enough, just tell the controller and he'll usually realise his mistake.

Greg Barber

VATPAC3 - Director ATC Training & Standards

Romano Lara
Posted
Posted
Don't forget that you are PIC are able to question the runway [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ignment. After all you decide what your takeoff distance will be and if the runway ain't long enough, just tell the controller and he'll usually realise his mistake.

That's what I did.

Romano Lara

Sean Harrison
Posted
Posted

Good to see you over this neck of the woods Romano.

Sean

C1/O P3

spacer.png

• 1 month later...
Lakhbir Singh 936840
Posted
Posted

im always in a 737-400,so any runway in sydney doesnt bother me,the only runway i havent used is 25,other than that ive used all other runways. the ones i use in melbourne are 34,16,07...

SWA1501

Lak Singh

Remember: When in doubt, ask!

• 3 weeks later...
Trent Hopkinson
Posted
Posted
im always in a 737-400,so any runway in sydney doesnt bother me,the only runway i havent used is 25,other than that ive used all other runways. the ones i use in melbourne are 34,16,07...

Melbourne's 09 is very rare, mostly because the weather in Melbourne usually doesn't include heavy easterly winds (they'd have to blow over Gippsland plains, the Great Dividing range, and the dandenong mountain ranges before hitting Melbourne, and usually by the time that's happened, the wind has died down to calm/random directions or is more southerly than easterly. The few times it does happen it's usually a hot windy spring/autumn day. I'm not sure how often it does happen, but it is an 'event' for me, because suddenly we get takeoffs going overhead my house so I do notice it, and I'd say it happens roughly 3 maybe 4 days a year :p

Random trivia of the day

qfafin.png

Trent Hopkinson YMML. www.youtube.com/musicalaviator WorldFlight 2002,2008,2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2015