You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Any REX wizards out there?

Antonio King 1085967

Antonio King 1085967
Posted
Posted

Alright REX people. I've got REX 2004, and I use it in conjunction with Active Sky. Now, I know a lot of people use REX mainly for the textures, and Active Sky for the weather engine. I've got a few questions about this:

- Is there some sort of sequence to enable the textures to appear in FS9?

I was told to un-select a button in the active sky options (something about auto...*crickets*), and just not to run the REX weather engine. However, once this is performed (or not performed), I still don't see the awesome clouds that REX has to offer, even though I've done the necessary sequence (perhaps someone could clarify the right procedure to this?).

So for example:

I'll launch Active Sky after some textures from REX were downloaded and installed. I'll launch FS, launch a flight, and I'll look up at the sky to see those magnificent clouds. However, when I peer up, I usually don't see those stunning clouds.

When I launch REX weather engine WITH Activesky, clouds are everywhere (and I mean literally).

Is there a specific way that I'm supposed to enable it so I get to view clouds everywhere, even though REX weather engine isn't running?

Any input would help!

Tom Cahill 1078008
Posted
Posted

While I'm not sure this will help, I both use Active Sky and REX... Before my flight, I go into REX, the Texture part, and install whatever textures I want. Then, I load up Active sky for the weather. If i'm inputting a flightplan, I ensure I don't! Click Insert Snapshot Graphics, when It comes up, as that would overright my REX textures. Then I load up FS9, and fly, and I have real world weather, with those wonderful clouds!

8751.png

Romano Lara
Posted
Posted

I don't understand the original question. But I do hope this might help.

For REX, you don't really have to open it everytime you run FS2004. However though, before all, open REX interface -> configuration manager -> do what's it's asking you to do (backup, save configuration etc.) -> Options (to set the textures you wish to see i.e HD cloud resolution, water resolution etc.) -> Themes (here you will install the theme you wish to use, or you can even create your own one.)

That's it. so everytime you run FS, your previous config will remain. Unless you want to change something return to the interface, or change the themes etc. As for the weather engine which is the REX WaSys... you don't really need it for the clouds to show up, personally, I use AS6.5 because for some reasons, WaSys doesn't work for me when flying trans-atlantic routes. It doesn't inject any weather when I'm flying over the pacific ocean.

It works simple, REX for the graphics, AS for the weather.

Romano Lara
vACC Philippines, Manager - Training & Standards
04819c_4181f294a6c34b5aa4d8a82c0fb448c5~mv2.webp

Darren Currie 1044920
Posted
Posted

For REX, you don't really have to open it everytime you run FS2004. However though, before all, open REX interface -> configuration manager -> do what's it's asking you to do (backup, save configuration etc.) -> Options (to set the textures you wish to see i.e HD cloud resolution, water resolution etc.) -> Themes (here you will install the theme you wish to use, or you can even create your own one.)

That's it. so everytime you run FS, your previous config will remain. Unless you want to change something return to the interface, or change the themes etc. As for the weather engine which is the REX WaSys... you don't really need it for the clouds to show up, personally, I use AS6.5 because for some reasons, WaSys doesn't work for me when flying trans-atlantic routes. It doesn't inject any weather when I'm flying over the pacific ocean.

I think he's asking when he runs AS he doesnt get the clouds from REX even though there installed at least thats how i interpreted it

Darren Currie

ZNY S2 Controller

8054.png

Darren Currie 1044920
Posted
Posted

I think he's asking when he runs AS he doesnt get the clouds from REX even though there installed at least thats how i interpreted it

Darren Currie

ZNY S2 Controller

8054.png

Romano Lara
Posted
Posted

Okay, if you've have installed REX before AS then probably that's your problem right there. AS comes with it's own set of textures so if you have it installed after REX it must have overwritten the REX textures, so in this case, just re-install the textures from REX by going through its user interface.

Romano Lara

Antonio King 1085967
Posted
Posted

Correct! Apologies if that was awkwardly phrased (had difficulty phrasing it myself). He's 100% correct though.

Okay, if you've have installed REX before AS then probably that's your problem right there. AS comes with it's own set of textures so if you have it installed after REX it must have overwritten the REX textures, so in this case, just re-install the textures from REX by going through its user interface.

I think I understand what you mean, but AS was installed way before REX.

Here's the process I usually undergo when attempting to use REX textures:

- Launch REX2004

- Go to the textures area

- Select desired textures

- Select "install texture"

- Wait for textures to completely install

- Once finished installing, close out of REX

- Launch AS

- Launch FS

That's when I usually see now awesome skylines or anything of the sort. I'll see maybe one stratus cloud in the distance, but nothing extravagant. So I'll then open up the REX WX Engine, that loads up, and BOOF! The sky is completely filled with jaw-dropping clouds.

What am I not doing and/or doing incorrectly?

Romano Lara
Posted
Posted

How can you say what you're already seeing is not a REX clouds? Can you post a picture here?

Romano Lara

Jody Turner 1018734
Posted
Posted

Don't forget about your FS2004 display settings (under 'Weather'). If the 3D cloud setting is too low and/or you have 'Simple Clouds' on (as opposed to 'Detailed Clouds'), you may have REX clouds, but they may look awful. This could be why.

Jody Turner - I1

Toronto FIR - Facility Engineer

8942.png

Antonio King 1085967
Posted
Posted

ONLY ACTIVE SKY

norexonlyactivesky.jpg

WITH REX AND ACTIVESKY

withrex.jpg

ACTIVE SKY SETTINGS

asoptions.jpg

REX SETTINGS

rexsettings.jpg

Romano Lara
Posted
Posted

I don't think there's an issue here with REX, but more with AS, because it's not injecting the weather to your platform. Do you the latest build for AS? I think for 6.5 it's 552. Your REX settings looks great. How about the configuration manager?

Romano Lara

Antonio King 1085967
Posted
Posted

As for the CONFIG, I'm really not sure what should and what shouldn't be tampered with. Thus, I wouldn't be surprised if it were something in this that were causing the issue.

rexconfig.jpg

I think I have the current build.

asbuild.jpg

Romano Lara
Posted
Posted

Okay, I think the real problem here is with AS not loading weather in your FS. Try this, load up FS, load the flight, from the default location I guess that's KSEA and just sit in there (offline), minimize FS then start Activesky, do not minimize Activesky until you get to see the line "Online Weather Mode Update Completed" - I'm really not sure but if that's it, but make sure that the weather is COMPLETELY DONE loading before you return to your FS window. Sometimes, there's this issue that you just run activesky and minimize it, I think it can sometimes cause the weather not to load.

Try REX config looks good

Please remember I am not a tech guru, this is all based from my personal experience.

Romano Lara

Peter Ingerslev Nielsen
Posted
Posted

Tryin your Active Sky options to untick Use Online Updates but tick use VATSIM WX!!

Thats the way i use it and it works fine

Peter I.Nielsen

Romano Lara
Posted
Posted
Tryin your Active Sky options to untick Use Online Updates but tick use VATSIM WX!!

Or better yet, just use the REX WaSys. It's always been a great thing from REX! Try it, if you get any problems, visit their support forums. Make sure you also install both patches for it. This is just a suggestion though.

Romano Lara

Antonio King 1085967
Posted
Posted

I'll give that a try.

Or better yet, just use the REX WaSys. It's always been a great thing from REX! Try it, if you get any problems, visit their support forums. Make sure you also install both patches for it. This is just a suggestion though.

I definitely would do this, but the only thing I fear is one thing: it won't update when there's some sort of crucial weather around. For example, it changes in intervals o f 30 minutes or 60nm (I think) as the least/quickest. Suppose I'm 20nm inbound to land and then it starts pouring rain at my arrival airport, and I just started the new 60nm.

The weather in REX won't change because I haven't p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ed another 20nm. That's the ONLY thing I don't like, otherwise I'd use it solo.

Antonio King 1085967
Posted
Posted

Would people mind posting their Active Sky settings? Maybe tampering with the settings on my end will have a better outcome with the REX textures actually showing up.

Justin Marcus 1131402
Posted
Posted

Anyone know how you go about getting REX/FSX to show overcast clouds ?

Im using ASE/REX/FSX but even in storm conditions theres not that many clouds and a sunny blue background. Ive swapped the textures around in REX but cant seem to get hole gray sky/cloud thing as i see if i look out the window in winter.. ?

Thanks

Romano Lara
Posted
Posted
Anyone know how you go about getting REX/FSX to show overcast clouds ?

Im using ASE/REX/FSX but even in storm conditions theres not that many clouds and a sunny blue background. Ive swapped the textures around in REX but cant seem to get hole gray sky/cloud thing as i see if i look out the window in winter.. ?

Thanks

It's probably the weather itself, with ASE what you see is what you get. REX just improves the graphics, ASE is responsible for downloading the weather data and depicting it into your sim. So you might want to give ASE's user interface a check to see if you're missing something.

Remember, what you see is what you get.

Romano Lara

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

It might have something to do with the Cloud layers setup. Check under the weather tab in FSX and you might be able to add more layers. Also if you are using FSInn, disable that weather, cloud layers etc.

There is also a weather or clouds tab (can't remember) in ASE that can increase the layers displayed. And don't forget to set the "VATSIM weather" option in ASE to get current VATSIM weather to match.

Do note that adding a lot of cloud layers will hit FPS unless your computer can safely handle it, so do it step by step and see where you want to cut the balance

Good luck and blue ...err....puffy skies

When is your next Flight||VATSIM HitSquad Member, ZOA/ZAK/GANDER/P1

Justin Marcus 1131402
Posted
Posted

aah yip forgot about the cloud coverage slider. Working nicely now.

Thanks for the help guys.

Antonio King 1085967
Posted
Posted

Ha! The cloud settings worked for me too! What do you all have them as? I think I set mine to "scattered". Any ideas on what's best?

Leung John
Posted
Posted

Currently I'm using REX2004 with Active Sky Evolution, both brilliant add-on for FS9.

Just make sure to deselect all the weather-relevant settings in REX2004, and for the active sky evolution settings just choose your own preferred one. I have the wake turbulance set to all max and I enjoy with my flight sim very much now

10087.png

Antonio King 1085967
Posted
Posted

Care to elaborate on the deselect? Explain what you do I mean specifically.

Romano Lara
Posted
Posted
Just make sure to deselect all the weather-relevant settings in REX2004

Actually there's no need for that. It won't affect whatever 3rd party weather engine you're using at all. So no need to deselect the weather settings in REX's interface.

Romano Lara