You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

1%-99% , New Joystick won't cooperate :)

Mattias Albinsson 1154905

Posted
Posted

Hey all

I bought a new joystick, a cheap one, but still.

It seems like if it's unable to, in Fs9, to have the throttle at idle, or full.

I mean, the range is between 1% and 99%.

I first blamed the joystick, but after looking into data-numbers when calibrating, i found out that throttle goes from 0 to 255, as it should.

So, this shouldn't be my joysticks fault, right?

What can it be then?

Thanks for answers

///M

Flying GA VFR

555353871.jpg

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

my old logitech wingman has been acting up aswell. altho its 10 years old now

i managed to fix it last month by completely taking it apart and putting it back together, making sure everything was tight. it fixed for awhile, looks like the sticks getting lose again which makes it act jerky with some aircraft.

a few things you can try, recalibrate, can also try getting FSUIPC, the payware version has a feature with will smooth down the control axes.

theres other things that can cause it aswell tho, like driver issues. i used to have a new virtual pilot pro yoke, had to sell it cause on my old PC it was having conflicts with one of my sound drivers. not sure why, but they were conflicting with each other causing wild erratic movements.

just some things to look at

Steven Perry
Posted
Posted

If you bought it retail, exchange it!

Otherwise, my old stick (circa 1993?) had a problem with its pot's getting dusty. Dis[Mod - Happy Thoughts]embling it and giving the potentiometers a shot of compressed air did the trick for 15 years. I've never taken apart a newer one.

Steven Perry

VATSIM Supervisor

Lennart Vedin
Posted
Posted

Method 1.

Since you get it 1-99% you may be able to calibrate 0-100%.

Re-calibrate the throttle, this time don't put the joystick till full end (i.e. not full max and not to full idle position, but leave a little bit).

Method 2.

In FS9 you can text-edit the calibration by hand.

Open the file "C:\Docomeents and Settings\\Application Data\Microsoft\FS9\fs9.CFG" with a text editor such as Windows Notepad (after first have made a backup copy of the file).

Then edit the SCALE and NULL in following lines:

AXIS_EVENT_03=AXIS_THROTTLE_SET

AXIS_SCALE_03=127

AXIS_NULL_03=1

By try adjust different values in my file the value 127 and 1.

/ Lennart Vedin / vedinat.png910701.png

Posted
Posted

Read EDIT at the bottom, thanks all!

Thanks to all of you, but, still no succes

I'm almost sure that it isn't a hardware problem, because the joystick is calibrating just right, and even if i try to calibrate it wrong (not making the full throttle movement) it still just works between 1%-99% in fs9.

The problem is in the software somewhere, but, if i won't be able to fix it, i've got 14 (13 now) days to return the joystick to the store)

Lets see here what i've found out:

- It isn't a driver-related issue, the same thing happens with both windows- and manufacturer-drivers

- It probably isn't a hardware issue, because it calibrates correctly

- The error has to be software, for example fs9.

My theory for now is that the "null-zones" in fs9 is destoroying something, but I cannot fix it.

I mean, i've dragged them, both in simple-mode and advanced, to "null-zone"-zero, and sensitivity-full.

But the same thing occurs.

I guess that I can't set the "null-zone" setting lower than 1 for some reason. And I don't have the settings in the .cfg file

Method 1.

[...]

Method 2.

In FS9 you can text-edit the calibration by hand.

Open the file "C:\Docomeents and Settings\\Application Data\Microsoft\FS9\fs9.CFG" with a text editor such as Windows Notepad (after first have made a backup copy of the file).

Then edit the SCALE and NULL in following lines:

AXIS_EVENT_03=AXIS_THROTTLE_SET

AXIS_SCALE_03=127

AXIS_NULL_03=1

By try adjust different values in my file the value 127 and 1.

I don't have those lines in my .cfg file O.o

Thanks for help

//M

EDIT: Ok, some tweaking, restarting, deleting fs9.cfg, recration of it etc gave me back those lines that Lennart was talking about. As i guessed, the AXIS_NULL where throttle was were set to 1, and that crated my error. I set it to 0 and now it's working as it should!

Thanks to Lennart for pointing those lines out, and to the reast for at least trying to help!

//M

Flying GA VFR

555353871.jpg