You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Professional Radar

Richard Webb 1097731

Richard Webb 1097731
Posted
Posted

Just wondering if anyone has done any kind of tutorial video on what professional radar is and how it works? It seems pretty cool, but it sounds over the top as far as complexity to set up and use. Maybe I'm just not understanding it completely.

-Rich

Stephan Boerner 945550
Posted
Posted

I am not aware of any tutorial video on that, no.

If there are any specific parts of the wiki that could use some clarification, ask for it. But it needs to be specific

Stephan Boerner

VATEUD - ATC Training Director

EuroScope Board of Designers | GVCCS Beta Tester

edff,euroscope,ger1oic,lhaoic.jpg

EuroScope Quick Start Guide

Todor Atanasov 878664
Posted
Posted

As Stephan pointed out, there is no video tutorial, and frankly there is nothing so complicated in that mode. All you need is to define some radar stations, if you need radar holes, set the mode in the display settings and chose one of the correlation mode in the general settings.

Luke Cunningham
Posted
Posted

How do you define the radar stations, Todor?

Luke Cunningham

Senior Controller

VATSIM United Kingdom

Luke Cunningham
Posted
Posted

Is this correct?

[RADAR]

RADAR:Clee Hill:N052.23.53.090:W002.35.55.510:0:0:0:90:50:40:90:50:40

Or, is this..

[RADAR]

RADAR::::

:

:

:::::

There is no primary radar situated on the Clee Hill site, it is secondary only.

Luke Cunningham

Senior Controller

VATSIM United Kingdom

Todor Atanasov 878664
Posted
Posted
Is this correct?

[RADAR]

This one.

Luke Cunningham
Posted
Posted

Thanks Todor,

Myself, Mike Pike and James Latham spent some time yesterday evening working out some digits to use based on real world data. It works a treat.

Thanks very much, all.

Luke Cunningham

Senior Controller

VATSIM United Kingdom

Luke Cunningham
Posted
Posted

Now, I've come to set up the surface movement radar however, all surface movement radars point down at the the floor so, in effect it is an inverted slope.

Will ES recognise negative numbers e.g. 2:-30:25

Or is there another way?

Luke Cunningham

Senior Controller

VATSIM United Kingdom

Halldor Bui Jonsson
Posted
Posted

what digits did you arrive to and how did you determin them? Would love to know the forumlas needed (for slope?) if you have known radar with elevation, lat/long + range.

--------------------

Best regards

--------------------

Halldor

Luke Cunningham
Posted
Posted

Hi Haldor,

First you need to understand which radar head you need to use, its elevation and theoretical range. I got these from our aviation authrority and a real world controller in the UK division.

If you can find those, I'd be happy to help you.

L

Luke Cunningham

Senior Controller

VATSIM United Kingdom

Halldor Bui Jonsson
Posted
Posted

Here are the radar sites i want to do:

Radar Site H-1

Type: AN/FPS-117 v5 Phased Array Search Radar (PSR+SSR for VATSIM purpouses)

Elevation: 173ft

Theoretical Range: 215nm at FL300 (SSR) 60nm PSR

C mode

Radar Site H-2

6609N 1505W

Elevation 2359ft

PSR60nm+SSR 230nm C mode

Radar Site H-3

6415N 1500W

Elevation 10ft

PSR60nm+SSR230nm C mode + ADS-B (S mode?)

Radar Site H-4

Type: PSR+SSR (C mode)

Elevation 2041ft

Theoretical Range at FL300: 235nm

Radar Site Akureyri PSR

N065.39.18.297:W018.04.26.251

Elevation 40ft

PSR 60nm (this ones in a valley though, need to find out how to simulate that).

--------------------

Best regards

--------------------

Halldor

Martin Loxbo
Posted
Posted
ADS-B (S mode?)

Well, ADS-B does not equal mode S, but ADS-B can be simulated via a plugin, if you decide that all aircraft with a certain equipment suffix, a certain flight plan remark, or even a certain aircraft type will be considered to be ADS-B equipped.

Regarding the slope, according to the Wiki: "This a linear slope that levels the visibility floor up by the distance. The value itself is the feet to be climbed in one NM. I used value 60 that levels the visibility floor from 2000ft to 11000 at 150 NM away."

We have set the slope value to 30 in Sweden and it seems to be fairly realistic. Of course a higher value will decrease the radar coverage at low levels significantly.

Martin Loxbo

Director Sweden FIR

VATSIM Scandinavia

Todor Atanasov 878664
Posted
Posted
Now, I've come to set up the surface movement radar however, all surface movement radars point down at the the floor so, in effect it is an inverted slope.

Or is there another way?

Why do you want to use a negative slope?

Halldor Bui Jonsson
Posted
Posted
ADS-B (S mode?)

Well, ADS-B does not equal mode S, but ADS-B can be simulated via a plugin, if you decide that all aircraft with a certain equipment suffix, a certain flight plan remark, or even a certain aircraft type will be considered to be ADS-B equipped.

Regarding the slope, according to the Wiki: "This a linear slope that levels the visibility floor up by the distance. The value itself is the feet to be climbed in one NM. I used value 60 that levels the visibility floor from 2000ft to 11000 at 150 NM away."

We have set the slope value to 30 in Sweden and it seems to be fairly realistic. Of course a higher value will decrease the radar coverage at low levels significantly.

How would ADS-B correalate to VATSIM via plugin, same functioning as S mode per se?

Would it be better to set up a seperate PSR radar with its own linear slope, rather then shared with a SSR radar that needs to cover different ranges?

Is there any limit on the number of radar sites one can set up?

--------------------

Best regards

--------------------

Halldor

Todor Atanasov 878664
Posted
Posted
ADS-B (S mode?)

How would ADS-B correalate to VATSIM via plugin, same functioning as S mode per se?

Would it be better to set up a seperate PSR radar with its own linear slope, rather then shared with a SSR radar that needs to cover different ranges?

Is there any limit on the number of radar sites one can set up?

If the PSR is in one axe with the rest, I don't see why you would do that.

RADAR:<name>:<longitude>:<latitude>:<P range>:<P floor>:<P slope>:<S range>:<S floor>:<S slope><C range>:<C floor>:<C slope>

That means that you can have PSR + SSR(mode A + C) + SSR (mode S) in one line, and all will have different floor, slope and range.

There is no limit on the radar number definitions, but you wouldn't need too much anyway

Luke Cunningham
Posted
Posted

Or is there another way?

Why do you want to use a negative slope?

Because I want to use my SMR File on the Ground with Radar mode, but I need to define a radar? Hence, a Surface Movement Radar

All surface movement radars point down at the floor so would require a negative slope.

Luke Cunningham

Senior Controller

VATSIM United Kingdom

Todor Atanasov 878664
Posted
Posted

I know how it is in reality, but you don't need to do that (the slope actually is not negative, it is simply wide in vertical plane). Simply add a radar station, with floor the APT elevation, set your range and then simply make the slope very low. If you want to simulate the radar "blind" spot, just below the antenna, add a radar hole, around the radar site, with width let say 100 meters (you can do that quite easily using the .sline command in ES, drawing the hole and then coping the coordinates)

Halldor Bui Jonsson
Posted
Posted

How would you define a hole for something like a mountain?

--------------------

Best regards

--------------------

Halldor

Todor Atanasov 878664
Posted
Posted

Like that

radar_holes.jpg

You define the hole to match the top picture's filled object. And then add the altitude from the second picture. Just one note, the hole is for all radars, so if you have multiple radar coverage, the figure's shape changes

Halldor Bui Jonsson
Posted
Posted

So the hole defined will affect all defined radars regardless of their position?

--------------------

Best regards

--------------------

Halldor

Todor Atanasov 878664
Posted
Posted

Halldor Bui Jonsson
Posted
Posted

Luke, what numbers did you arrive to and what formula did you use to determine them?

--------------------

Best regards

--------------------

Halldor

Luke Cunningham
Posted
Posted

The numbers I have were from a real world controller who gave me some details about the radar station he has from his docomeentation. No forumla required really. Depends on the radar station.

Luke Cunningham

Senior Controller

VATSIM United Kingdom