You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

VRC Crashes on Launch

Brendan Chen 943434

Brendan Chen 943434
Posted
Posted

Hi guys,

Recently, one of the controllers approached me and stated this problem, where when he clicks into VRC, the profile selection page comes up, and he chooses the only 'Default' that's there, after that, the radar screen comes up (with the box in the middle saying 'Loading Sector..."), two seconds later, it quits back out to the desktop.

He uses windows 7, tried compatibility to Windows 98/ME, now it is successful to load up, but cannot load any sector files.

I've tried telling him to "Run as Administrator", install .NET Framework (every package), and whatever else we can think of, still no luck, any idea why this is and how can we over come this?

Thanks

Brendan

Brendan Chen

VATPRC Tech Support

You make the difference!

672A68079898-1_zps98cef54d.png

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

reinstall it to be safe and see if that helps any

Richard Gerrish

Developer, STM Applications Group

Brendan Chen 943434
Posted
Posted

I think he had tried that, even redownload then reinstall... Doesn't seemed to work...

Brendan Chen

VATPRC Tech Support

You make the difference!

Brendan Chen 943434
Posted
Posted

Any other ideas?

I know this is not very descriptive, but that's all the information I have and he knows...

Brendan Chen

VATPRC Tech Support

You make the difference!

Paul Byrne
Posted
Posted

Hi,

Try deleting/renaming the VRC.ini file. The crash may be caused by a corrupt ini file. If you remove the VRC.ini file it will create a fresh one on the next restart. Start from there and see what causes the crash to start happening.

Cheers!

Brendan Chen 943434
Posted
Posted

That's a good idea, I'll get the guy to try that next time I see him, thanks for your help

Brendan Chen

VATPRC Tech Support

You make the difference!

Brendan Chen 943434
Posted
Posted

Hi Paul, still no luck mate, I've even tried giving him my VRC.ini (taking out my username and p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word of course ) Still no luck...

Still showing the same symptoms as before. Any other ideas?

Brendan Chen

VATPRC Tech Support

You make the difference!

Paul Byrne
Posted
Posted

Hi,

The only 2 things I can think of is:

1) A driver issue. More than likely graphics or sound. Find out what graphics and sound cards he is using including driver versions. Remember, sometimes newer drivers are not always better drivers .

2) When he did the uninstall/reinstall, did he also remove any leftover files from the VRC installation? There is a possibility that if the .ini was leftover and he changed one of his cards that it could cause this crash as it is referencing wrong hardware. This would also happen using your ini, if it referenced the wrong hardware.

Cheers!

Brendan Chen 943434
Posted
Posted

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, the strange thing is when I told him to get rid of his original .ini, and start VRC, the msg returned was couldn't load .ini, therefore his VRC cannot be started.

This is why I gave him my VRC.ini to try, which was then also no good. So somehow his machine couldn't recreate a VRC.ini for him when it didn't exist in the first place...

Brendan Chen

VATPRC Tech Support

You make the difference!

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I would try uninstalling, manually deleting the VRC.ini, then reinstalling. This will get you a new INI with nothing but the defaults. Then set the audio hardware appropriately (if you can get that far) and see if it works.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC