You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

To the newbie - First Time Jitters

Thomas Parker

Johan Grauers
Posted
Posted
I guess it's meant for Captain/James Cowley, great post, cheers

Oops, sure is, that's what happens when you've been awake for 30 hours and prefer writing on vatsim instead of sleeping

Johan Grauers

Event Coordinator - vACC Scandinavia

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wycliffe Barrett

• Robert Shearman Jr

• Thomas Parker

• Johan Grauers

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wycliffe Barrett

Wycliffe Barrett 47 posts

• Robert Shearman Jr

Robert Shearman Jr 31 posts

• Thomas Parker

Thomas Parker 24 posts

• Johan Grauers

Johan Grauers 18 posts

Popular Days

• Oct 17 2005

19 posts

• Jan 3 2021

12 posts

• Aug 18 2010

11 posts

• Feb 14 2006

9 posts

Popular Posts

Thomas Parker

I was just reading the other thread, "New to this Simulation and Forums".   Andras Kiss wrote:   Oh man... me too. When I found VATSIM, I was completely stoked about trying it out. It sounded e

Tobias Dammers

Totally. You can even take it a step further and anticipate the clearance you will get - it always comes in the same form ("{your callsign}, you are cleared to {destination} via the {SID} departure, [

Wycliffe Barrett

Sadly all my cats are long gone. We now have a Labradoodle called Frank. he is the biggest friendliest labradoodle in the world. here is with my wife last weekend   

Posted Images

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted
I was beginning to think I might be just getting out of the New Pilot stage, I mean I've been online approx 8 weeks and gaining in confidence all the time.

That was until yesterday afternoon. My usual flight from Cardiff to Gatwick was filed with my usual STAR I was happily flying along hadn't missed one call, although i was slow in replying to one particular one. No problem..

I confidently repeated "Gatwick Tower say again new hdg G-CK"

It was then the nerves came back and I started sweating, the new heading was way off my normal route in, he was going to bring me in on a different runway and STAR.

All my other flights to Gatwick had been on the regular Star I'd used.

Was the controller just testing me? Had I forgot to read the rwy in use? Why was ATC making me dance all over the sky?

Jeez I was sweating, my wife came on the flight deck (must get that red light over my study door) and started asking me questions about oil in her car and such like. Stress levels went through the roof.

Finally I was established on rwy heading and I could see the VASI lights, I came off auto pilot as I like to hand land my 737, then it happend the weather changed 2 miles out, mist came in, I couldn't see the far end of the runway, i could only just see the VASI, it was going to be tight. ATC was calmly giving me calls, I was flapping like crazy.

Imanaged to get my Boeing down but god it was tight, used all the runway. Phew

ATC calmly said "G-CK Welcome to Gatwick please exit to your left at your discretion"

Yeah right. Dont you just love flying on VATSIM. It's a hell of a diet I lost 5lbs on that flight I'm sure.

To all of you who have written about being nervous and scared of messing up, the post above is of one of my jitters which I posted 17th October 2005 on page one of this thread. We all started somewhere with similar experiences.

I am now an Approach/radar controller and a VATUK Staff member as the DCRM UK.

From small acorns great oaks grow.

Wycliffe

Wycliffe Barrett: C3 Controller

atc5o.png

"if god meant for us to fly, he would have given us tickets" Mel Brooks

Johan Grauers
Posted
Posted

So have you got the 5lbs back?

Nice point though Wycliffe We all have to remember were we started, fresh down on the ground (or behind the scope in some rare cases)

Johan Grauers

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

5lbs and more my friend.

Back then I was in the gym working out, but VATSIM has ruined my life. Mind you I still have my wife.

Wycliffe

Wycliffe Barrett: C3 Controller

atc5o.png

"if god meant for us to fly, he would have given us tickets" Mel Brooks

Johan Grauers
Posted
Posted
5lbs and more my friend.

Back then I was in the gym working out, but VATSIM has ruined my life. Mind you I still have my wife.

Wycliffe

Now let's not scare the neewbies away Maybe we should start asking for atc to challenge us so we get to lose a bit of weight now and then. Maybe we should make a "diet event" where atc's job is to challenge all the pilots with unusuall approaches, bad sight and lots of traffic. Could probably get both pilots and atc to loose a few pounds

Johan Grauers

Dave Opper
Posted
Posted

Well.... I just want to thank the guys at ATL for a great first ATC flight. I thought I bit off a little bit more then I could chew by attending the Fly-In at KATL but it went pretty well. I found by being a little nervous tends to keep you more aware of everything. Looking forward to some more flight time.

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Team

supportteam.jpg

Johan Grauers
Posted
Posted

Good to hear Dave

Johan Grauers

Stefan Petro
Posted
Posted

Hi all, my first flight was 3 days ago. Just little VFR circuits at EGGD. It went pretty well actually, no problem with ATC. Thanks to you guys for giving me courage. Now my worries are with IFR and the navigational part, like VOR, the localisers, etc....

Greetins from Slovakia!

8125.png

Shane Gavin 1137952
Posted
Posted

Hello,

Just completed my first flight and it was quite fun and exciting. I took my PMDG MD-11F (Titan Cargo) from KPHX to KLAX. I had the TAT error, but it didn't seem to affect aircraft speed, but my engines were definitely running hot. My only other issues were that FSFDT for some reason turned up the "beep" fader so I had to disconnect for a second to turn that off, and I have yet to fix the chat error despite trying the steps from the faq and others suggestions from the forum. I am looking forward to next month when I have more time to fly.

Shane

First Officer Boeing 747-400F

Pilot 2174

GC_banner_fo.jpg

ASUS P6T, i7 920 @ 4.2Ghz, 6GB OCZ Gold DDR3 1600, BFG GTX 275 OC, Venomous X CPU cooler, OCZ 700w PSU, WD Caviar Blue 7200rpm, Windows 7 64

• 4 weeks later...
Marc Wilson 1143072
Posted
Posted

Just signed up 2 days ago and did some touch and go's last night with a controller in LAX. I listened for like 30 minutes before I attempted ATC communication. I was thrown off by how professional everything was. I felt like I was listening to LAX tower on a scanner. I'm like ... grabbing charts and runway pilots guides. Anyway all went well and I'm looking forward to filing and flying my first flight plan soon.

Barron Once 1143365
Posted
Posted

Interesting stories. Thanks for sharing, have not logged in yet and I am nervous about even logging in !!!!!!!!!

Wayne Klockner
Posted
Posted
Interesting stories. Thanks for sharing, have not logged in yet and I am nervous about even logging in !!!!!!!!!

Barron, I finally took the plunge this past Saturday at KDEN. The controller was terrific and even forgave me the following gaffs: confusing my flight number with my callsign , and forgetting to switch my transponder from Standby to Charlie! All went smoothly once I was airborne (inbound to KALS), although I'm still stumbling over my responses and requests. But at least I'm more confident that that'll get better with experience. Truly a blast, though, so do it.

Johan Grauers
Posted
Posted

Barron, I finally took the plunge this past Saturday at KDEN. The controller was terrific and even forgave me the following gaffs: confusing my flight number with my callsign , and forgetting to switch my transponder from Standby to Charlie! All went smoothly once I was airborne (inbound to KALS), although I'm still stumbling over my responses and requests. But at least I'm more confident that that'll get better with experience. Truly a blast, though, so do it.

Hey I still forget my transponder at times And even though I'm far from a veteran I've managed to break 50 hours in the cockpit now

Johan Grauers

Dave Opper
Posted
Posted

LOL Don't feel alone. I was even nervous the first time flying using FSP[Mod - Happy Thoughts]engers.

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Team

supportteam.jpg

Jack Tomson 1143468
Posted
Posted

I remember my first flight like it was yesterday...

well, it was the day before (I think) I'm not sure, my days all seem to mesh into one another...

I blame the lack of callenders in the house, but I think thats just an excuse...

anyway, so, my first flight!

I came online after about 2 days of trying to figure out HOW to come online, although the 'real' reason was because I wanted to try and find out a bit more about the ATC calling and stuff. So, anyway, I loaded up a new game, but, since I've only had the game for about a week (and its the best money I've ever spent) I didn't realise you could change where you spawned from (all set now though). So, I've spawned on the runway at EGKK, or gatwick, as I used to know it (I'm learning! It's a miricle!) and moved off of the runway and onto the gr[Mod - Happy Thoughts] verge. I loged on using FSInn and, after coming online, I froze.

I must have been there for about 5 minutes trying to figure out why I couldn't hear anybody, and, after still not hearing anything, I typed into the chat thing (unicom), sorry, I'm new here, what am I suppose to do to get flying? (or somthing like that) and then, BING BING BING BING!. I got around 5 pm's from other members online (who I am still very greatful for) who were happy to help. The only problem with that is, since I've never been good at being in more than 1 convosation at a time, I got sorta confused. And quickly too. Anyway, long story a little shorter, I was speaking to somebody (sorry, I've forgoten your name) and he helped me get into contact with the ATC (albeit, I bet they both hate me to pieces now, since getting into contact with ATC must have taken a good 10, maybe 15 minutes, due to my inabillity to use the radio) So, I've gotten into contact with the ATC, and they have been EXTREMLY helpfull and said all of the proper stuff they are meant to say, and then, in another window pm thingy majiggy they have told me what they meant. Anyway, after about another 5 minutes, I've gotten clearance to taxi to runway 08R and, by the end of the runway, I've had to ask 'What ones that?'

Its not like it would have made myself sound like a newbie, I think the last 2 hours or so of messing about trying to figure out what to do and how to do it would have done that.

So, the ATC (who was probobly starting to get a little frustrated, but didnt show it, since it was all by text, and I dont have a headset to listen) explained which runway was 08R, and, from then on, I've [Mod - Happy Thoughts]umed the other one would be 08L. So, I've gotten clearance to take off, and I've headed for Dover (at 90 degrees, I believe) and from there I would head to Calaasis (sorry, I can't spell that one, its the one opposite dover, sounds like cow-lay).

Anyway, so, after however long of flying, I finally reached LFAC (I think?) and tried to land. Considering that I had never flown a 737 before, I think I did pretty badly...

I sorta crashed it. Since nobody was nearby, it didnt matter.

Anyway, since then, I have made multiple crashes into static objects on the ground, due to my inability to reverse (I was told how to at one point, but I didnt write it down), made another 2, maybe 3 lift offs (all from EGKK, heading for LFAC) and still made no landings in a 737. (The latest flight I was on, the autopiliot decided it didnt like me, and caused a big crash in the sea)

But, even though I have caused absolute carnage, caused at least 6 crashes, and never managed to make a safe journey, I'm still trying and loving every minute of it.

Oh, and did I mention, my call sign name thingy was JJ44CCKK?

yeah, I've changed it now, its just J4CK, but thats just because I think it looks cool (even though its nothing like a real callsign)

Yeah, so, thanks to all the guys that helped me out on my first flight (and anybody else that has helped me recently on VATSIM) and I'm sorry that I forgot your names...

See you in the air!

Well, I wont, I'll probobly be on the ground in the side of a building or somthing, but you get the jist

Wim Sjoholm 1133704
Posted
Posted

So I just had my first flight right now, and I'm very excited!

After spending hours observing ATC the last few days I finally decided, today was going to be the day of my first flight. I decided to take my Beech Duke on a flight from KBOS to KLGA, but after looking through the SID charts i couldnt really find a single SID that didnt require radar, which my plane did not how so I had to make a change of plan; I was going to drive the MD11 from KIAD to KJFK instead. Logged in and requested IFR clearance, unfortunately there was some issue with my flight plan not being filed, even tho I knew I had filed it. So I tried to file it again and again, but it still didnt show up. It showed up in vroute, so I'm not sure what the issue was. So I logged off and took a 5 minute breather, filed a new plan and this time the controller got it. Everything went smoothly (I guess, it felt pretty smooth to me ) until TWR handed me over to departure, apparently I had entered 120.425 instead of 120.45 into my com radio, and I couldnt understand why DEP didnt respond to my "with you" calls. TWR contacted me to tell me that I was on the wrong frequency, I tried again and again to contact DEP on 120.425 before I looked through my notes. "doh, its 120.45, not 120.425". No wonder I didnt get any replies! Finally got dep on the line, probably way off course After that I had no problems, it was smooth sailing. Even managed to get through New York airspace using unicom. Probably used all wrong terminology, but i think they understood what i meant. Landed at KJFK, and ground directed me to my gate. I logged off sweating. It was very exciting.

Looking forward to my next flight, hopefully I'll manage to get the radio frequencies the second time by. Sorry to KIAD TWR .

Somehow rated s3

Wade Williams 877539
Posted
Posted
I decided to take my Beech Duke on a flight from KBOS to KLGA, but after looking through the SID charts i couldnt really find a single SID that didnt require radar, which my plane did not how so I had to make a change of plan

Wim,

The RADAR REQUIRED notation is really a notation for controllers, not for pilots. You are not required to have radar on your aircraft.

The FAA says that when radar vectors are required, the SID must say "RADAR REQUIRED." However, even the FAA is not very consistent about that, as I've found several procedures which require radar vectors which do not have that notation.

So, feel free to ignore the "RADAR REQUIRED" notation.

Incidentally, what should you do if there's no controller online and you're flying a radar-vectored SID? Just pretend you're a controller. Fly it to the point at which it says to "expect radar vectors" and then vector yourself.

Also, if you see procedures that have other restrictions on them like "Special training and aircrew required," you can ignore that as well. We don't have the means to simulate that on VATSIM, so if you want to fly an ILS down to CATIII minimums in a Cessna 172, feel free.

Wim Sjoholm 1133704
Posted
Posted

Ah okay, that makes sense then. I thought for a second it was impossible for smaller aircrafts to take off from KBOS

Somehow rated s3

Tim Murphy
Posted
Posted

Wim I am very excited for you! I am a huge fan of new pilots taking the first step. Like you, i used JFK as my airport for my first flight ever online. Nicholas Gonzalez(sp) was the controller -- my goodness what a great guy! He was very patient with me, even though i had no idea what i was doing.

That was almost two years ago, and isn't it funny how you remember those controllers who went above and beyond?

Well good luck, hope to see more from you!

Thanks,

Tim

Help a newbie!

http://czqm.ca

QM/QX Instructor

Patrik Yngver
Posted
Posted
Wim I am very excited for you! I am a huge fan of new pilots taking the first step. Like you, i used JFK as my airport for my first flight ever online. Nicholas Gonzalez(sp) was the controller -- my goodness what a great guy! He was very patient with me, even though i had no idea what i was doing.

That was almost two years ago, and isn't it funny how you remember those controllers who went above and beyond?

Well good luck, hope to see more from you!

It works the other way around too, I've just started controlling and pilots are patient with me too

Patrik Yngvér

VATSIM Thailand vACC Deputy Director

C3 ENR Controller

ESNO, Sweden

spacer.png

Cedric McGeachy 1126295
Posted
Posted

Well I had my first flight a few days ago thanks to a buddy of mine convincing me to finally hop in. I've always wanted to fly on VATSIM, but was just too nervous! I didn't know how the controllers would react, what to say, etc. My first flight was from KLAX to KLAS. I say by far, the scariest part for me was talking to ATC for the first time. Once you've done that, your done most of the battle. I was so nervous that on takeoff I flew the wrong route. ATC seemed a little annoyed, but not rude. He just told me to turn and get back on track and bam, im off. My first real approach was today back into KLAX. I was flying the RIIVER2 approach when I realise I was WAAY to high for the approach, 21 thousand lol. So I turned around and luckily center came on. I contacted him and he lined me back up with the runway with NO PROBLEM. I really appreciate the patience ATC has on VATSIM. It makes our experience alot better, and calms our nerves a bit that we know the controller won't sound off on us.

For newbies, make sure you have you understand your flightplan, understand your charts, and your good to go; ATC will get you in!

Steven Caffey
Posted
Posted
Well I had my first flight a few days ago thanks to a buddy of mine convincing me to finally hop in. I've always wanted to fly on VATSIM, but was just too nervous! I didn't know how the controllers would react, what to say, etc. My first flight was from KLAX to KLAS. I say by far, the scariest part for me was talking to ATC for the first time. Once you've done that, your done most of the battle. I was so nervous that on takeoff I flew the wrong route. ATC seemed a little annoyed, but not rude. He just told me to turn and get back on track and bam, im off. My first real approach was today back into KLAX. I was flying the RIIVER2 approach when I realise I was WAAY to high for the approach, 21 thousand lol. So I turned around and luckily center came on. I contacted him and he lined me back up with the runway with NO PROBLEM. I really appreciate the patience ATC has on VATSIM. It makes our experience alot better, and calms our nerves a bit that we know the controller won't sound off on us.

For newbies, make sure you have you understand your flightplan, understand your charts, and your good to go; ATC will get you in!

Welcome I'm guessing you flew the LOOP4 departure from LAX, make sure you have a look at the chart, it says to fly a certain heading (depending on which runway you depart from) and to expect vectors to LAX VOR. In other words you wait until they tell you to turn. Don't worry, this is an extremely common mistake that even seasoned pilots do make (FMC / auto pilots don't fly the procedure properly). If you're not comfortable flying a departure, let us know and we'll give you vectors to start out. There are great articles out there explaining SIDS/STARS and their various forms.

As for the approach, that's a FS bug, the ILS doesn't come in until about 20-25nm, while the RIIVR2 Arrival ends at RIIVR, which is an Initial Approach Fix (IAF) to the ILS. Real World, the ILS reaches far beyond so it's not an issue. Again, if you're not getting the ILS and don't have alternative means (GPS to the waypoints and manual descent complying with the ILS plate) then let ATC know and they'll vector you and step you down.

Hope this info helps, and welcome to Vatsim!

Steven Caffey (SY) ZLA Controller

"A mile of highway gets you one mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere."

1099774.png

Cedric McGeachy 1126295
Posted
Posted

Welcome I'm guessing you flew the LOOP4 departure from LAX, make sure you have a look at the chart, it says to fly a certain heading (depending on which runway you depart from) and to expect vectors to LAX VOR. In other words you wait until they tell you to turn. Don't worry, this is an extremely common mistake that even seasoned pilots do make (FMC / auto pilots don't fly the procedure properly). If you're not comfortable flying a departure, let us know and we'll give you vectors to start out. There are great articles out there explaining SIDS/STARS and their various forms.

As for the approach, that's a FS bug, the ILS doesn't come in until about 20-25nm, while the RIIVR2 Arrival ends at RIIVR, which is an Initial Approach Fix (IAF) to the ILS. Real World, the ILS reaches far beyond so it's not an issue. Again, if you're not getting the ILS and don't have alternative means (GPS to the waypoints and manual descent complying with the ILS plate) then let ATC know and they'll vector you and step you down.

Hope this info helps, and welcome to Vatsim!

Exactly. The first time I flew, I didn't have any departure charts, and I was just winging it, which is NOT smart at all. Now that I know what charts to get, and how to read them, I have absolutely no problems. Thanks for the tips on asking ATC to bring me down, didn't know I had that power

Steven Caffey
Posted
Posted

Exactly. The first time I flew, I didn't have any departure charts, and I was just winging it, which is NOT smart at all. Now that I know what charts to get, and how to read them, I have absolutely no problems. Thanks for the tips on asking ATC to bring me down, didn't know I had that power

Yup, especially on the RIIVR2, ATC are aware of the issue. However, people flying with FMCs have a workaround in that the FMC will navigate to the waypoints on the ILS approach, and some will descend automatically until the localizer picks up. What you'll hear from Approach is "Descend via the RIIVR2 arrival, then cleared ILS runway 24R (or 25L) approach" Meaning get yourself from RIIVR to the ILS. All you have to say is "Unable, due to equipment (or ILS distance)"

Cheers!

[edit] check out ZLA's Pilot Cert program http://pilotcerts.laartcc.org/

Steven Caffey (SY) ZLA Controller

"A mile of highway gets you one mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere."

1099774.png

Mark Bott 1100894
Posted
Posted

Well, I finally did it! A couple nights ago, I took the plunge into the great beyond, or, uh, VATSIM as they call it .

Anyway, Nervous is the exact word for the emotion I was feeling. Once, I was done, safely on the ground, I couldn't believe what a sense of accomplishment I felt. It was a great experience!

Last night, I was on my 3rd flight ever on VATSIM, and on my Approach to JFK, I couldn't connect with the localizer... (I still have not quite fiigured out why). But the NY_CTR controller was incredibly helpful, he turned me around a couple times to get me lined up and I finally made my landing... Its controllers like that which make VATSIM so much fun. He was helpful, curtious, and most of all, understanding. Big Thanks to NY_CTR for his help last night!!

Mark Bott / I3 - 1100894

NYARTCC Training Administrator

Program Manager for Events - Staff Specialist