You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

To the newbie - First Time Jitters

Thomas Parker

John Haswell 1148560
Posted
Posted

Excellent thread. Thanks to all who have posted thier experiences here. I am very new to VATSIM, just got my acct this past weekend. Still trying to figure it all out. One screen runs my sim, while my other screen has tons of pubs open (including PRC, FAA Reg, FAR AIM, etc). I have been simming since TRS-80 Color Computer's Flight Sim. But when I sim by myself, I don't do proper procedures. I design an aircraft and test it. No traffic to worry about, no comms, just do my thing. Found out that there is a way to fly online. "Hmmm, lets check it out." First server I try I can't get to work. Found VATSIM. Read every word. OMG what have I gotten myself into? This group sounds way to serious!

My main motivation for online flying was realistic traffic. I learned real quick that --> I <-- didn't know how to be realistic traffic. UT OH! I can't expect everyone else to be 'as real as it gets' without myself doing the same. Lets just say over the last couple of days, I have been cramming like I am studying for the final exam of my life. I have tons more to learn.

To my future controllers -- Sorry to make your job hell, but we all gotta do it at some point.

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wycliffe Barrett

• Robert Shearman Jr

• Thomas Parker

• Johan Grauers

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wycliffe Barrett

Wycliffe Barrett 47 posts

• Robert Shearman Jr

Robert Shearman Jr 31 posts

• Thomas Parker

Thomas Parker 24 posts

• Johan Grauers

Johan Grauers 18 posts

Popular Days

• Oct 17 2005

19 posts

• Jan 3 2021

12 posts

• Aug 18 2010

11 posts

• Feb 14 2006

9 posts

Popular Posts

Thomas Parker

I was just reading the other thread, "New to this Simulation and Forums".   Andras Kiss wrote:   Oh man... me too. When I found VATSIM, I was completely stoked about trying it out. It sounded e

Tobias Dammers

Totally. You can even take it a step further and anticipate the clearance you will get - it always comes in the same form ("{your callsign}, you are cleared to {destination} via the {SID} departure, [

Wycliffe Barrett

Sadly all my cats are long gone. We now have a Labradoodle called Frank. he is the biggest friendliest labradoodle in the world. here is with my wife last weekend   

Posted Images

Anthony Baker 1080999
Posted
Posted

if you want to practice emergency (or anytype) landings @ KORD (and we're not busy)

we even have a pond

email me bakerboy448(at)aim.com and i'll get twr up and running

ZAU S-2, Major Certified

ZAU S-1 Mentor

(Disclaimer: the post above does not necessarily express the opinion or stance of ZAU or ZAUs training program, this view is made by me and me alone)

7664.png

Brian Kozushka 1148282
Posted
Posted

hello all, just like to say vatsim has taken flightsimming to a new level.I just can't get enough of it.I have done 2 flights so far and i have to say that the atc's are the friendliest and most helpful people. they are the ones who prodded me into taking my first flight. I was happy just sitting at the gate listening lol.I file my flight plans and always add to the remarks section that i am a newbie and just learning and they go out of their way to help.Problem is and i think they don't even know they do it ,but they rattle of their instructions so fast i cannot keep up and then it's all down hill after that, asking for repeats ,i didn't get the last part, etc. I always pick airports with very low if any traffic. if they could just slow down when they know you are new would probably save alot of confusion and time.Like i said the atc's I've dealt with great except for the speed.

Wade Williams 877539
Posted
Posted
hello all, just like to say vatsim has taken flightsimming to a new level.I just can't get enough of it.I have done 2 flights so far and i have to say that the atc's are the friendliest and most helpful people. they are the ones who prodded me into taking my first flight. I was happy just sitting at the gate listening lol.I file my flight plans and always add to the remarks section that i am a newbie and just learning and they go out of their way to help.Problem is and i think they don't even know they do it ,but they rattle of their instructions so fast i cannot keep up and then it's all down hill after that, asking for repeats ,i didn't get the last part, etc. I always pick airports with very low if any traffic. if they could just slow down when they know you are new would probably save alot of confusion and time.Like i said the atc's I've dealt with great except for the speed.

Brian,

The biggest key is to be prepared.

1) If you're flying a route with a SID or a STAR, have the charts available. That way if the controller says something that sounds like "proceed direct JAMMIES" you can look at the chart and say "Oh...he must have been talking about JANNY."

2) Keep a piece of scratch paper and pen/pencil beside you. When a controller throws out an instruction, take shorthand notes. For example, if the controller says, "turn left heading 350, descend and maintain 4,000" then jot down "L 350/4000." That way you can refer to it when you read back so you don't have to get halfway through the readback and say "uh...what was that altitude again?"

Brian Kozushka 1148282
Posted
Posted

hello, I understand you have to be prepard and i do have my charts and a pen and paper,it's just they are way to fast for me ,guess to much lap time between brain and hand lol.

• 3 weeks later...
Tim Aldrich 1132505
Posted
Posted

Brian, when I first started flying on VATSIM, I simply put a note in the flight plan remarks that read "Please speak slowly". It helped a lot.

2733.png

You've been flying too much when you: Refer to your spouse as Clearance/Delivery, file a flight plan to go to the corner store, when on the phone you read back everything other people say...

• 2 weeks later...
Mike Lynch 1148122
Posted
Posted

Hello,

I just had my first flight online with VATPAC. (Waiting to get approval to post)

Last night was FIRST EVER ONLINE FLIGHT.

Anyway it was nerve wracking especially as I had read very little docomeentation and had no idea how to use radio. I just installed SB4 for FSX and Started up the FSX and SB4 !

Well I was Lucky it was a quiet night in Brisbane Australia The first thing I saw was about getting off the runway in the chat box. After that the Brisbane Controller taught me how to tune in the radio and then Talk to the Tower

It must have taken close to 20 minutes before I learned how to select where to "Appear" and then how to use SquarkBox. He gave me a CALLSIGHN based on my initials VH-MAL . I didnt ask what VH was as he had already told me copious amouts of information to get me operating the two programs FSX and SquarkBOX. His name was Ralph, and I feel pretty lucky to have tried connecting ONLINE for first time with such a patient and cool teacher Tower ATC Guy

Hans Sjödin 1110331
Posted
Posted

Well, I made my first flight this weekend, and made a big mistake. My first ATC-landing was at ULLI. Not wise. I forget about the metric system in Russia, so when try to compensate this I flew my B747 like a mosquito hunted by a predator. Still got to learn, but all ATC-guys are very good. Some ATC also print out what they are saying. This is very good in beginning. Makes it much easier to get used to it.

• 2 weeks later...
Justin Steinbart 951892
Posted
Posted

It is amazing to read all the things I am reading on this topic! I never post on the forums and happened to be reading around after a flight today showing a friend at my college (I go to an aviation college) how VATSIM works me and him are the only VATSIMers at my college

Anyways I read what people said about being nervous. Wow! I don't ever remember being that nervous. I had hundreds of hours in flight sim, but I never heard of a SID or a STAR until I got to VATSIM. I read the docomeentation one what was expected and required and study approach and departure charts. When I first learned VATSIM I would get flight routes off of flightaware and just cut out the SID/STAR because I didn't know what "VTU5", and "ROBIE2" meant!?! I did research into it after being h[Mod - Happy Thoughts]led by ATC I think, and learned how to properly use them. From there I learned a lot about instrument flying and how all the levels of ATC generally work. First time I did a successful instrument flight I just thought that was awesome!! I spent all of my Christmas break one year when I was like 14 or 15 flying on VATSIM. I logged like 100 hours that month.

I remember getting involved with a great group of people at the ORIGINAl Alaska Virtual Airlines at eskimova.org we were shut down by Alaska Airline's lawyers... I was a hub manager for LAX, then ANC before we got shut down. But we had a fast growing professional virtual airline with people who knew what they were doing including someone we personally knew who flies in the RW for Alaska Airlines (He flew the 737-200, then the MD-80, now the 737s). I had some great VATSIM memories there too.

Then one summer a few years later I flew to 40 different west coast airports the smallest airports I could find that could barely accommodate the 727-100. Then I ventured out east and ended up flying around the world in that 727-100. I would quit flight sim and load it back up right where I parked and continue my flying. I had a few interesting experiences. My biggest challenge was crossing the atlantic ocean flying from TNCM to the western most mainland tip of Africa. Took off with 100% fuel and landed with 10% when I took off my fuel burn was high and my ground speed was low and I wasn't sure if I would make it, but I had a diversion plan to an island that was 100 miles to the west of the mainland in Africa. By the time I flew over I had plenty of fuel to make it.

I met some friendly people on that adventure. My callsign was EAL403 if anyone recalls meeting me. I then flew around the world again in a much more abbreviated matter (longer legs with less stops) flying an L1011 under the same callsign. I'm really mad at myself because I kept a log in a text docomeent of my crazy travels that summer but I think I accidentally deleted it while cleaning up my computer!?!?! Oh well it shows in my flying history on VATSIM stats.

I also flew with Delta Virtual Airlines and flew the 737 upgraded to captain flew then "downgraded" to first officer on the MD-80 and then upgraded to captain. Then after failing a checkride my second check ride I p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ed on to be a first officer on the 757. I stopped flying for them after that school work overwhelmed me. It was great while it lasted I flew all over the U.S.

Currently I now fly whenever I have a little free time and have thirst for adventure whether it be doing tight pattern work at a semi busy airport and maintaining professional communications and operations while giving tower a verbal workout. Other times it's a long enduring IFR flight. A few months ago I did my longest ever nonstop flight EGLL-KSFO. One other form of personal torture is flying instrument in an old school BAC 111 where it's me and some old school SIDs and STARS using strictly the HSI RMI, and DME and VORs to navigate and handflying the entire thing besides altitude and nav hold at cruise. It is a great mental workout. Out of all the hours I've logged I have maybe flown a maximum of 20 hours with an FMC or FMS equipped aircraft. I really enjoy old school navigation via VORs. Good times I love instrument flying

I currently have 550 hours here on VATSIM and I gotta say I have learned a lot and have had a lot of fun VIRTUAL adventures.

I am now a RW student pilot with about 20 hours at college. I should have my private in a month at the rate I am currently training. The feelings you guys mentioned of your first flight was how I felt on my first solo. VATSIM really helped to develop my understanding of VFR and IFR traffic and ATC operations, and correct phraseology and procedures. I did another solo yesterday flying around doing air work then coming back and landing. With my training experience and lots of VATSIM experience I attribute my ability to be comfortable flying in and out of an Approach/Tower controlled airspace as well as non-towered operations.

Though there are big differences between VATSIM and the RW I can thank VATSIM for my level of knowledge in how the flying system of the U.S. works. I know when I take instrument ground school the level of knowledge I have in instrument flying already will help me to learn more advance concepts, and be more successful at instrument flying. You guys here are wonderful and will continue flying here.

If you read all that thanks, sorry if it strayed a little. That was a summary of my experience at VATSIM for the past 5 years I've been here.

Thank you very much all of you who make this a community,

Justin

• 4 weeks later...
Dylan Lampard 1114837
Posted
Posted

Ahh, the first time.

It was not too long ago maybe 2 months, i was sitting there on the tarmac at YMML and thinking 'what the hell do i do now'.. So i just tune in freq and just go 'Request clearnce', so obviously i was completly off the mark, seeing i didnt even submit flightplan. Then the Tower said, tune to SNO Center....

This is where my vatsim carear started: I got a cool as controller who obviously new i was New and young, so he got out of tower and went through how to fly on vatsim, from calls to FP, he even did a quick flight to Moorabin with me.

So a few days p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ed and i was hooked, then fsinn decided to screw me around, so i put vatsim on a hold. Then the other night i found Squawkbox was a lot less troublesome, and did i flight from YBBN-YSSY in a superhornet, i got all the calls correct and my best experince on vatsim i've ever had. But i mad a major stuff up, i didn't enter in what aircraft i was flying in, so it said i was in a J3 Cub flying at 450 Knts at FL250, and the Syd controller picked up that something was wrong....

Anyway, everyone should give it a go.

Too be honest everytime i hit the hotkey im nervous as my voice is kinda high so they know that im only 14

Cheers,

Dylan

Kev Lang 1154657
Posted
Posted

I haven't been on-line yet. I only fly a Cessna and the only atc stuff I know is what is on FSX. I have used the multiplayer option on FSX and get nervous transmitting on that so I dread to think what I'd be like on VATsim with real atc.

Any advice for a super newbie? even if it's go away and learn what to do first.

Kev

I've just read the other thread "new and scared" with lots of good tips, so I'll start from there, I'll post my first go at this if I survive.

Jordan Krushen 1135174
Posted
Posted
I haven't been on-line yet. I only fly a Cessna and the only atc stuff I know is what is on FSX. I have used the multiplayer option on FSX and get nervous transmitting on that so I dread to think what I'd be like on VATsim with real atc.

Anyone who says they weren't nervous here their first time is incapable of nervousness.

Read the PRC: http://www.vatsim.net/prc/

Read Michael Oxner's writings, particularly the VFR and IFR flight examples: http://czqm.vatcan.org/WeeklyTopics/Archives.html

Learn to fly your plane, of course. Cessnas are totally acceptable.

Observe and listen and read all you can, but all the reading and listening in the world won't wire your brain to make the right calls. You have to speak them. At least, that's been my experience. Once you've done that, go for a quick VFR flight. You barely have to interact with the controller, you don't have to worry about busting altitudes, and if you put 'newbie' in your flight plan, we'll go easy on you.

I'm a huge fan of preparation and reading all I can and soaking up theory, but there comes a point where you just have to suck it up and do it. Don't sweat it, we can all relate, and the exhilaration of your first flight is half the fun

And don't forget that on top of piloting, there's controlling. It's a whole different kind of challenge, and a whole different kind of fun. They're both worth it.

8942.png

• 4 weeks later...
Steve Katuzney 1155484
Posted
Posted

First flight yesterday on VATSIM. Decided to do KSJC to KSEA since I saw there were controllers online via my new iphone app. (VatViewer)

What a great time! Very helpful ATC at KSJC. Had me fly the loupe1 dep. Told me to maintain FL190. I interpreted that as 1500 ft.(1-5-0)lol. ATC then politely asked if I'd heard the request to FL190. Duh.

Got up to cruise and began inadvertantly har[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ing any TWR online all the way up the coast. (I thought I had to check in with them). All were very understanding.

APP in KSEA had to logoff before I got there. I crashed. If anyone saw the Lufthansa 747-400 flying low over KSEA, full flaps, gear down and swaying banks left to right, that was me!!

Anyways I loved it. Thanks you to KSJC for their help and apologies to the city of Seattle for the smouldering 747 wreckage.

Matthew Johnston 1149366
Posted
Posted
First flight yesterday on VATSIM. Decided to do KSJC to KSEA since I saw there were controllers online via my new iphone app. (VatViewer)

What a great time! Very helpful ATC at KSJC. Had me fly the loupe1 dep. Told me to maintain FL190. I interpreted that as 1500 ft.(1-5-0)lol. ATC then politely asked if I'd heard the request to FL190. Duh.

Got up to cruise and began inadvertantly har[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ing any TWR online all the way up the coast. (I thought I had to check in with them). All were very understanding.

APP in KSEA had to logoff before I got there. I crashed. If anyone saw the Lufthansa 747-400 flying low over KSEA, full flaps, gear down and swaying banks left to right, that was me!!

Anyways I loved it. Thanks you to KSJC for their help and apologies to the city of Seattle for the smouldering 747 wreckage.

Steve, first of all...welcome to VATSIM! I was flying south from KPDX to KSMF, QXE645 (Horizon Air), when you were coming up the coast. Sounded good to me for a first time flight! And don't feel bad about the crash, we have all left some smoldering wreckage on the ground at one time or another Enjoy your time in the virtual skies!!!

~Matt

Johan Grauers
Posted
Posted

and at least me have once or twice been in a hurry and instead of abondoning my way to high and quick approach I put on max brakes and full reverse. Leaving a simulated brake fire and some nice new rubber marks on the runway

Anyhow welcome to vatsim, and it sounds like a good first flight

Johan Grauers

Event Coordinator - vACC Scandinavia

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

Kev

I've just read the other thread "new and scared" with lots of good tips, so I'll start from there, I'll post my first go at this if I survive.

Hi

I've been online a good few years now my CID begins with an 8 so figure that out. Anyhow I went on the FSX multiplayer when I first got FSX just for fun, justto see what it was like as it was being touted as the next big thing. In fact there was some speculation that FSX would block third party networks and youw ould only be able to use Microsofts shared skies.

Anyway it was the worst experience I have come across, filled mostly with children wanting to swear at each other and adults with brains the size of peas crashing into taxiing aircraft or flying into buildings.

I shut it down as quickly as I could never to go back, loaded up at EGFF on VATSIM and thanked Harv Stein and his buddies for creating VATSIM.

Some say we might be a little to professional , but we have always said as real as it gets. As far as I'm concerned I'm happy with that.

Dont be worried, we all make mistakes, VATSIM is cool.

Wycliffe

Wycliffe Barrett: C3 Controller

atc5o.png

"if god meant for us to fly, he would have given us tickets" Mel Brooks

Zachary McCutcheon 1159636
Posted
Posted

How do i connect FSInn with FS2002??

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

FS2002 is very old. There is no current development for it. I would recommend either FSX or FS2004.

sig.php?pilot=1199&type=101

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

Actually

You can use FSinn to connect to VATSIM with FS2002. Bill casey does this all the time.

Wycliffe

atc5o.png

• 2 weeks later...
bernard tremblay
Posted
Posted

What I've come to think is "Jump in!"

And most times it works fine.

When it doesn't ... *face down in porridge*.

So I sat in Victoria Int'l all afternoon, again, following ATC, adjusting audio, and trying ... again and again ... to get someone somehow to confirm my transmit.

I got a "loud with a lot of background noise" from *cough* a neighboring controller. Who told me I should contact the closer controller. Who hadn't replied all afternoon. (The "noise", I found out using TeamSpeak SetupWizard, was actually some kind of feedback, which persisted even when I unplugged speakers, with only mic still wired in ... which is just plain odd.)

So on and on ...

... and then XP locked up.

And on and on.

Later, when I thought I had most things figured out I logged back in.

No controllers to be found in this sector.

I used VATSpy to look around.

Restarted to try SquawkBox, for familiarization. (I had been using FSINN since I started with FSX.)

And while I was at it, the FSX version of a plane I appreciated so much in FS-9, the Shorts Tucano.

So, with that plane hot and SB running ... nobody nowhere, not even me on VATSpy.

I decided to take a fast flight, having never landed but knowing Vancouver from real life.

Well fumbling with SB and switching from mic/spkrs to mic-headset my approach was not pretty.

Imagine my surprise when VAN-CTR private msged me asking if this was the first time I had landed connected to VATSIM. (Truth is, having been using FSINN, I had neglected to click SB's disconnect, which is of course hidden under "Start".)

Not a pretty landing. Not a pretty taxi to parking.

And not another word back from the controller ... 1 sentence.

Oh, did I mention that the Tucano had 2 Navs but 0 Comms?

So: worst flight evah!

*sigh*

p.s. I must have asked almost a dozen times if I could p[Mod - Happy Thoughts] a msg to a pilot in flight using chat in FSINN ... over a period of hours. Never got a reply. Doesn't give a person the sense that they're connected to anything at all!

p.s.2 This is the sort of thing that drives n00bs mad: I just tried to file a plan and got "The following fields are required and must be filled in before we can process your request:

* Filing from an external source is not permitted. Contact the webmaster for the site you used and ask him to update his site so that it only attempts to prefill fields on this form. Additionally, you may NOT use the 'back' function on your browser to retry entries on a form."

Which is right odd, given that I was looking at http://www.vatsim.net/fp/

Coupled with XP locking up, FSX showing a sky full of trees (while flying in an alpine snow-storm at night), FSINN not saving the flight plan it created, and on and on. It's maddening. (FWIW I wrote the tech manuals for the Toronto Island MLS we were developing. I know docs.) *sigh*

intersections.gif

If you look to see how the system works

Likely you will find that it doesn't.

1018262.jpg

@bentrem - FSX SP2 | AMD Athlon II 630 2.8GHz X4 | GA-MA785 | Radeon 5770 | 6GB DDR3 | XP Pro | Saitek X52

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

Wow bernard that is a sorry tale.

At a guess i would say you had a few things mixed up in relation to connecting to VATSIm. You only need either squawkbox or fsinn. Choose one and stick with it.

make sure you have it installed correctly and then load up at ana irfield an just observe froma stand whilst you make sure all yoru settinsg are correct and you can actually connect and hear people.

Low and slow is the way, and also use an aircraft you know that s easy. The cessna 172 is a good starting point.

if yu need any help ask the right questionsin th right boards here on th e forums and you will gettons of help.

Wycliffe

atc5o.png

bernard tremblay
Posted
Posted
Wow bernard that is a sorry tale.
No sorrier than I am!

But I didn't disrupt anything. The only reason I was so ?what? reckless was because I a) checked to make sure that the area was clear and b) it was late at night.

Which sort of raises a question: how does one become familiar except testing in an active state?

At a guess i would say you had a few things mixed up in relation to connecting to VATSIm.
I wish this was more concrete.

I showed no controllers active on VATSpy, and got no sort of notification when I started up SB. Now both of those may have been due to some error on my part but until/unless those errors are made clear I learn 0.

You only need either squawkbox or fsinn. Choose one and stick with it.
Here's that "sort of a question" again: how to choose w/o putting them through their paces?

I had FSInn well configured and working. But earlier in the day I encountered a helpful pilot who flies in my area of interest and discovered that he had chosen SB.

So, late at night with nothing showing on VATSpy, I chose to try a flight using a new client and a new plane. (Well, not new. As I wrote in my post: it was a plane I knew from flying in FS-9, and was eager to try it in FSX.)

Sad that this resulted in such a botch.

What would have helped a lot is if the controller had typed 3 sentences (or 4, or even 5) instead of just 1.

I might have learned something from that.

What I came away with was: lookout, unmarked mine-field! (Which won't deter me. I may be slow, but I'm persistent! *grin*)

make sure you have it installed correctly and then load up at ana irfield an just observe froma stand whilst you make sure all yoru settinsg are correct and you can actually connect and hear people.
I'm sorry, I thought I had made that clear: I had been doing exactly that all day. That day and other days.

As I wrote: hours monitoring didn't even get me a good comms check. (I spent hours trying to confirm that my XMT was good. Hours. And not just this day. If that counts for nothing, well then ... )

Low and slow is the way, and also use an aircraft you know that s easy. The cessna 172 is a good starting point.
I have done that, a lot of that.

Actually what I've been doing is flying the Grumman Goose in the Victoria, Vancouver, Seattle area ... land and water landings, good weather and foul.

if yu need any help ask the right questionsin th right boards here on th e forums and you will gettons of help.
Yes indeed, that's quite true. I know that for a fact because this is what I've done in the past.

intersections.gif

If you look to see how the system works

Likely you will find that it doesn't.

1018262.jpg

@bentrem - FSX SP2 | AMD Athlon II 630 2.8GHz X4 | GA-MA785 | Radeon 5770 | 6GB DDR3 | XP Pro | Saitek X52

Jim Rish
Posted
Posted (edited)

Kev

Come on over to KIND like I did. Karl helped me out and it's where I'm from so I'm kinda partial. The scarey part will end up being the most fun. Just like those tense moments at that bib KSFO event. Speaking of KSFO, go voer there too and look up Charan Kumar. That reminds me, what is a "tach" or tack* approach? I don't know. Maybe it's sort of tacking your way toward your final approach like a sailboat. The first thing I did is the Porte Three departure at KSFO. That is still my favorite, and I never get tired of doing it. So are you with FSInn or sqkbox4? Also, speaking of KIND, here is an excellent time to come in and fly and listen : http://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=50278

Plenty of room, and no difficult gates to learn. You will also want to kick that top winger dog to the curb real quick. If you want to start out with slow VFR learning, then fly the blimp (airship). It doesn't have GPS, but you got NAV RMI, altitude hold, and the easiest thing to fly. I highly reccommend it because you will have better dead rekoning than anybody flying anything else. I don't care what VFR charts they have. Since you have FSX, the CRJ7 is the default aircraft during the initial install. You will want a cool plane to fly so go here and check out the Lufthansa Star Aliiance skin, page 97: http://www.simviation.com/simviation/?type=item&ID=60&page=61 If you are new to FSX, let me know and I'll go through this install. It's not alot of clutter and everyone on VATSIM will see you in this particular model. Plus, it looks cool.

Instead of giving you a bunch of useless advice on this forum, just let me know when you are at KIND, or your own airport, and I can communicate and mark a fun VFR pattern with the airship. I'll even fly a cessna in formation with you. Like I said, you're gonna want to give that thing away real soon.

Edited by Guest

rocksalot.png

Ryan Geckler
Posted
Posted

''Tach" or "tack" is probably a "tacan" approach. It's used by military aircraft.

Ryan Geckler - GK | Former VATUSA3 - Division Training Manager

VATSIM Minneapolis ARTCC | FAA Miami ARTCC 

Jim Rish
Posted
Posted
''Tach" or "tack" is probably a "tacan" approach. It's used by military aircraft.

So I see. Transmission on the UHF band instead of VOR. Perhaps different from a VOR approach in a way that .. what controller on VATSIM would actually care? Distance ± altitude ¾ speed = the distance ² from runway. I guess that's good if you are the controller at Travis Air Force Base, and that's all you do.

By the way, Kev, sorry I brought that up. Here's some useful information. One very common thing the controller will ask you is: "let me know when you have the airport in sight". You will hear that as often as you will hear anything else on VATSIM. Therefore, let them know if and when you do have the airport in sight. If the airport is at your right, or 2 o'clock or something, then you are presently going right traffic. If KJAX is to your left, say 11 o'clock, you are headed in a left traffic direction. Just let them know as soon as you have the field in sight.

rocksalot.png