You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

any Oshkosh virtual flyin?

Brian Sommers

Brian Sommers
Posted
Posted

Is anything going down that anyone knows of? I would love to participate in a virtual Oshkosh event this year.

thanks

BS

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

hasnt been one for years, according to last years same inquiry, they dont plan to

Matthew Bartels
Posted
Posted

You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Forever and always "Just the events guy"

Anthony Baker 1080999
Posted
Posted

http://forum.vatusa.net/index.php?act=calendar&cal_id=2&code=showevent&event_id=492

I cannot speak for ZAU Staff but the Staff are Discussing and will be planning it soon.

ZAU S-2, Major Certified

ZAU S-1 Mentor

(Disclaimer: the post above does not necessarily express the opinion or stance of ZAU or ZAUs training program, this view is made by me and me alone)

7664.png

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

sweet! finally, been way too long

Dan Leavitt 1081600
Posted
Posted

I will speak as and on behalf of ZAU Staff.

On July 30, Friday Night Ops is being hosted by ZAU. As this date coincides with the Oskosh AirVenture, we WILL be conducting our FNO at Oshkosh. Watch for more details to come here, and on the VATUSA events page.

Thanks,

DL

Dan Leavitt

vZAU En Route Controller

American Virtual Airlines

ORD Hub Ops Director

joinava.org

Harold Rutila 974112
Posted
Posted

Niiice.

Stephen Richey 985064
Posted
Posted

On July 30, Friday Night Ops is being hosted by ZAU. As this date coincides with the Oskosh AirVenture, we WILL be conducting our FNO at Oshkosh. Watch for more details to come here, and on the VATUSA events page.

Thanks,

DL

So are we going to be running the Fisk arrivals and such?

ZLA Pilot Cert I-03

sigpic4332_2.jpg

Dhruv Kalra
Posted
Posted

We're working on an appropriate plan of action with the guys at ZAU in order to see what we can effectively simulate.

Expect to see multiple Green Bay controllers on from our side and likely multiple Milwaukee controllers on on the ZAU side.

Dhruv Kalra

VATUSA ZMP ATM | Instructor | VATSIM Network Supervisor

878508.png878508.png

Anthony Baker 1080999
Posted
Posted

spread the word

ZAU S-2, Major Certified

ZAU S-1 Mentor

(Disclaimer: the post above does not necessarily express the opinion or stance of ZAU or ZAUs training program, this view is made by me and me alone)

7664.png

Nate Coffield 960761
Posted
Posted

Expect to see a NOTAM released in the next day or two. It will cover alot.

Nate Coffield

============

vZAU Air Traffic Manager

Email: [email protected]

Nate Coffield 960761
Posted
Posted

VatVentureBannerUpdate-1.png

Above is the banner for Vat Venture 2010. Click on the banner to be brought to our Vat Venture section of our website where the NOTAM can be downloaded. Below is a quote from our web page.

vZAU ARTCC is proud to announce Vat Venture 2010. Vat Venture 2010 is going to be as close to the real KOSH AirVenture event as we can get. We at ZAU are suggesting that you leave your jumbo jets parked in the hangar and pull out that single engine prop for some VFR fun (weather permitting of course). We are featuring the FISK VFR arrival into KOSH and our controllers will be ready to provide traffic point outs and pattern entry instructions. Once on the ground you can expect to be taxied to a gr[Mod - Happy Thoughts] parking area to watch some of our vSOA's perform formation fly-overs. So….come and join us on Friday July 30th from 2300z-0300z for the first ever vZAU Vat Venture!

Email vZAU Events Coordinator Nate Coffield with any questions.

[email protected]

Nate Coffield

============

vZAU Air Traffic Manager

Tod Allison 996532
Posted
Posted (edited)

So are we going to be running the Fisk arrivals and such?

Yes, The FISK VFR arrival will be used. I'm sure for those using military prop aircraft, that the WARBD arrival won't be refused.

Edited by Guest

Tod Allison

USMC 1977-1987

vZAU C1

Westwind Airlines

Senior Command Captain

7664.png6668.png

Geoffrey Drayson
Posted
Posted

Thanks,

DL

GREAT NEWS ... After many years of "EXCUSES", it is wonderful to see ZAU finally stepping up, and putting together an OSHKOSH event.

Well done .... see you guys over the Gravel Pit !!!

Geoff

N6722C

sig

Dan Leavitt 1081600
Posted
Posted

Pilots,

If you are interested in/are planning on flying in ZAU's Oshkosh Vat-Venture event. Please visit the following site, and download the pilot NOTAM. http://zauartcc.org/index.php?op=vvi

We at ZAU are suggesting that you leave your jumbo jets parked in the hangar and pull out that single engine prop for some VFR fun (weather permitting of course). We are featuring the FISK VFR arrival into KOSH and our controllers will be ready to provide traffic point outs and pattern entry instructions. Once on the ground you can expect to be taxied to a gr[Mod - Happy Thoughts] parking area to watch some of our vSOA's perform formation fly-overs. So….come and join us on Friday July 30th from 2300z-0300z for the first ever vZAU Vat Venture!

Thanks,

DL

Dan Leavitt

vZAU En Route Controller

ORD Hub Ops Director

joinava.org

Stephen Richey 985064
Posted
Posted

Thanks,

DL

GREAT NEWS ... After many years of "EXCUSES", it is wonderful to see ZAU finally stepping up, and putting together an OSHKOSH event.

Well done .... see you guys over the Gravel Pit !!!

Geoff

N6722C

Here's hoping they will do it next year...because I'm going to be at Oshkosh for real on the day of this event.

ZLA Pilot Cert I-03

sigpic4332_2.jpg

Alec Stelloh 969122
Posted
Posted

Hi I will be flying in using an ultralight. My question is will the ultralight runway be open. Its not really a runway just a gr[Mod - Happy Thoughts] area off the side of 36. Here is a picture

OSHULT.jpg

The red circled area is the area they use as a runway at the real airventure then ultralight parking is in the gr[Mod - Happy Thoughts] area just north.

Since in FS9 & FSX they use satelitte images for the OSH area it has the gr[Mod - Happy Thoughts] area exactly as potrayed.

Nate Coffield 960761
Posted
Posted

Alec,

That is a good question. We will most certainly provide this for you. I will add it to my controller briefing packet. When you are flying in and get in contact with app, let them know u are requesting OSH_S_TWR for the ultralight runway. Once in contact with twr let them know you are requesting the ultralight runway and they will provide accordingly.

Hope that helps. Any more questions please feel free to ask.

Nate Coffield

============

vZAU Air Traffic Manager

• 2 weeks later...
Geoffrey Drayson
Posted
Posted

CONGRATULATION Vatsim, and all those that Organized, and took party in the Oshkosk 2010 Event on Friday July 30th 2010.

Special thanks to all the Controllers, who did an impressive job, learning all the special EAA Procedures for the yearly Oshkosh Event.

Flying in, in a small Cessna, it was so refreshing to fly VFR, and to be handled by Vatsim controllers so realistically. Despite a very busy session, Approach was still willing to give me "Flight Following" as I exited the area, towards my desitnation airport, near Ripon, advise me of the arriving aircarft on the Ripon Fisk arrival.

The only negative, was the large numbers than still insisted in flying in, IFR, in large Commercial Multi-engined Jets. While obviously, anyone is free to do so, it was the only parts of the event that broke the realism, of a m[Mod - Happy Thoughts] GA fly-in, and departure from Oshkosh.

( Once a BUS DRIVER, always a Bus Driver ? - but sometimes it is fun, even for a Bus Driver, to get in a litlle sports car, and experince the freedom and FUN of real driving !! {ducking} )

That aside, it was exciting to see and hear so many aircraft in the area, and the overall impression, as a RL pilot, was one for a well organized event. WELL DONE to all -- both ATC and Pilots.

Hopefully, after such a successful event this year, and the realization that "Oshkosh" CAN be simulated reasonably realistically on Vatsim, we will see this event repeated in future years.

Geoff

N6722C

sig

Dan Leavitt 1081600
Posted
Posted

I want to give a big shout out and thank you to the pilots of the event, as well as all of our controllers. I was on MKE_O_APP the entire event, and was it ever FUN!!! Pilots were great, it was amazing to get back to the "basics' of VFR. Hoping to have another great OSH event next year. Already planning it!!! Just imagine what we can do with now a year's notice, instead of a couple months!!!!!

Thanks again to everyone who participated.

DL

Dan Leavitt

vZAU En Route Controller

ORD Hub Ops Director

joinava.org

Geoffrey Drayson
Posted
Posted
I want to give a big shout out and thank you to the pilots of the event, as well as all of our controllers. I was on MKE_O_APP the entire event, and was it ever FUN!!! Pilots were great, it was amazing to get back to the "basics' of VFR. Hoping to have another great OSH event next year. Already planning it!!! Just imagine what we can do with now a year's notice, instead of a couple months!!!!!

Thanks again to everyone who participated.

DL

Thanks Dan -- you actually did "better" than Real World MKE_APP !!!

I was listening them on Sunday , as all those aircarft departed Oshkosh -- "No VFR Flight Following within 70nm of Oshkosh" !!!

With all that traffic departing, all at once, I personally would have been quite uncomfortable, departing VFR, with no "EYES IN THE SKY" watching out for me. No wonder so many filed IFR !!!

Geoff

sig