You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Greenland Control

Mike Belden 1054128

Mike Belden 1054128
Posted
Posted

Ive been looking into becoming a controller for some time now, and I thought a good place to be a controller is the greenland control. I never see anybody controling it (at least when i am online) and thought it would be a good starting place

Now I am wondering where to sign up. Can somebody help me?

Thanks

Untitled-8.jpg

Christopher Mauro
Posted
Posted

Your going to want to contact vACCSCA.

Chris Mauro

Pedro Diogo 985361
Posted
Posted

On VATSIM, and if I'm not mistaken, Greenland falls under VATNA.

Pedro Diogo

Pedro Diogo 985361
Posted
Posted

VATSIM CoR, page 2

- North America -

Anguilla, Antigua, Aruba,

Bahamas, Barbados,

Barbuda, Bermuda, Canada,

Cayman Islands, Cuba,

Dominican Republic,

Dominica, Greenland,

Grenada, Guadeloupe,

Guam, Haiti, Jamaica,

Martinique, Mexico,

Netherland Antilles, Nevis,

Puerto Rico, St. Kitts &

Nevis, St. Pierre &

Miquelon, St. Vincent &

Grenadines, Saint Lucia and

Trinidad Tobago, Turks &

Caicos Islands, United

States, Virgin Islands

(British & American)

Pedro Diogo

Johan Grauers
Posted
Posted

Time for someone from vaccsa to step in?

Greenland belongs to vatcan but is delagated to vaccsa in a LOA since several years. So even though it on paper belongs to USA all control and airspace managment is done by vaccsa (greenland is part of the iceland sectorfile).

So if you wish to control Greenland then vaccsca is the place to turn and I belive it's Halldor Jonsson you should contact if you are intrested in controlling there (it requires an OTS since it's non radar but I don't know all the details really).

Johan Grauers

Event Coordinator - vACC Scandinavia

Halldor Bui Jonsson
Posted
Posted

Short version: Greenland´s upper airspace above FL195 is covered by BICC_FSS (Iceland Radio) and CZQX_FSS (Gander Radio).

Long version (Kyp verify?) http://vateud.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&Itemid=94

Last time i knew, Greenland was handled via a Letter of Agreement between VACCSCA & VATCA, allthough I do believe it was at some point in review by VATEUR to submit a petition to BoG to have the Country moved over to Europe Region/Division, wheras it in reality is the country is/was governed by Denmark (up until recently where Greenland is now self governed, but still belongs to the Danish Crown). In real life a LoA between Iceland and Danish CAA delegates upper airspace control to Reykjavik Control.

To answer your question, BICC_FSS (old callsign was BIRD_FSS) is a special center which requires at least a C1 and an endorsement plus a visiting controller status with VACCSCA if you are not a member. ( ref GRP http://www.vatsim.net/network/docs/grp/ appendix B).

The reason for the requirement is that the airspace is vast and is all procedurally (i.e. same as Oceanic) controlled.

So perhaps given that you are just starting your virtual atc career, it would be more appropriate for you to start out somewhere working ground and tower whilst working your way up to C1, which is the required rating for any enroute (CTR) sector, if your interested in doing area control

--------------------

Best regards

--------------------

Halldor