You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Re-drawing the FIR

Adam Arkley 1031024

Adam Arkley 1031024
Posted
Posted

Good morning,

Having taken on the task of maintaining the UK's Sector File and ESE File for Euroscope, I have hit a bit of a stumbling block. There are some small changes that have been made to the structure of the London FIR, and these need re-drawing. Rather than take a wild stab in the dark and draw some funny lines on the screen, I am looking to get accurate information on the structure of the FIR.

Does anyone know of a place, a tool or a procedure that I can use to find accurate, real information on airspace structure around the UK?

Many thanks,

Adam Arkley

[email protected]

Johan Grauers
Posted
Posted

In Sweden I belive this is posted in the AIP. But maybe it isn't in the UK then? Otherwise I have some faint memory of someone saying that eurocontrol has a lot of airspace data that was used when making the swedish sectorfile. But I'm not really sure...

Johan Grauers

Event Coordinator - vACC Scandinavia

Ross Bristo 1010003
Posted
Posted

Unless the AIP charts have coords on them (some RVA ones do) or you have a RW contact who can supply you with the information i think you may be at a loss.

atc1o.png

• 2 weeks later...
Alen Smriko 1034823
Posted
Posted

On the eurocontrol site you can find a tool called Skyview. From what I can see, it contains accurate boundaries. You just need to find a way to re-encode the extracted data.

Martin Bergin 931070
Posted
Posted

All airspace, airways, intersections, navaids etc should be defined in the UK AIP - I have used the UK aip on occasions when updating the VATeir sector/ese files when working with delegated areas, etc and while it does take a bit of work to sort them out it is all there.

Ross Bristo 1010003
Posted
Posted
On the eurocontrol site you can find a tool called Skyview. From what I can see, it contains accurate boundaries. You just need to find a way to re-encode the extracted data.

It was my understanding that to get Skyview you need to be part of an aviation/ATC related company and on the register page it specifically says "Access will not be provided to virtual aviation community members"

I have to admit, the UK AIP isnt bad, most CTA's, RVAs and pieces of airspace have their cords in there somewhere..

atc1o.png

Alen Smriko 1034823
Posted
Posted
It was my understanding that to get Skyview you need to be part of an aviation/ATC related company and on the register page it specifically says "Access will not be provided to virtual aviation community members"

right...

Ross Bristo 1010003
Posted
Posted

right...

We need to talk Alen

atc1o.png

Alen Smriko 1034823
Posted
Posted

If you take some time and try to register on the eurocontrol's extranet, you'll find that anyone can register there. You can even create some fictional organizations.

In the Croatian section, you can even find an organization called "GOVERNMENT", based in Split

How stupid of me thinking for my entire life that the capital of Croatia was Zagreb...