You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Voice Engine error

Jim Allan

Jim Allan
Posted
Posted

All,

I seem to be having a problem, and could use some help t/s'ing it. A couple of days ago, I started getting "Error, Could not initialize voice engine!". The only thing that has changed, was that I updated my vid driver. If someone could point me to possible culprits I'd be appreciative.

Cheers,

Jim Allan

W7 64 Home

Phenom Quad

Vid HD 3450

Realtek embedded sound card

atc1o.png

If you don't know the answer...at least make it sound convincing

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

if you've run FSInn prior and it hasn't totally closed out all of its components I've had it crop up

Richard Gerrish

Developer, STM Applications Group

Jordan Krushen 1135174
Posted
Posted
All,

I seem to be having a problem, and could use some help t/s'ing it. A couple of days ago, I started getting "Error, Could not initialize voice engine!". The only thing that has changed, was that I updated my vid driver. If someone could point me to possible culprits I'd be appreciative.

Realtek embedded sound card

You have an embedded sound card so this probably doesn't apply, but I get that error when I've restarted my virtual machine oddly and forgot to reconnect the USB audio device to the VM.

If some other device has control of the audio hardware and won't let go, that could be the cause.

8942.png

Jim Allan
Posted
Posted

You have an embedded sound card so this probably doesn't apply, but I get that error when I've restarted my virtual machine oddly and forgot to reconnect the USB audio device to the VM.

If some other device has control of the audio hardware and won't let go, that could be the cause.

Ok I'll bite, "virtual machine" being....?

atc1o.png

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

It's an operating system hosted with in an operating system. If you don't know what it is, you probably don't have one.

sig.php?pilot=1199&type=101

Jim Allan
Posted
Posted

you mean like a bootcamp with MAC and Windows? An emulator?

atc1o.png

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

Kind of. Both operating systems are run simultaneously, on inside the other. With bootcamp, they are both available for booting, but not simultaneously

Jim Allan
Posted
Posted

Java machine fall into that camp?

atc1o.png

Jordan Krushen 1135174
Posted
Posted
you mean like a bootcamp with MAC and Windows? An emulator?

BootCamp isn't either a virtual machine or an emulator. You're just booting a Mac (that's basically a collection of PC hardware) into Windows.

An emulator is software that runs code on hardware for which it wasn't compiled. VirtualPC that used to run Intel Windows on PowerPC Macs was an emulator, or the many game console emulators on the market that run original code compiled for their respective chips on an Intel PC.

A translator (virtual machines like Parallels or VMware) runs code compiled for the right chip, but on a different software system, like running Intel Windows inside a window on an Intel Mac—the CPU is the same, but the OS is different, and the translator mediates between the two.

A Virtual Machine is the general concept of running software on abstracted hardware. VMware presents each little environment with the perspective that it's got exclusive control over its own hardware, for example.

And yes, the JVM (Java Virtual Machine) is a perfect example of another VM—it runs code compiled into Java bytecode on any hardware, pretty much. You would get a VM applicable to the host hardware you're running on, and all Java code gets compiled in the intermediate bytecode which all the VMs can run, and you get compile-once, run-anywhere software.

There are many, many other benefits to running Virtual Machines—security, resilience and resource allocation among them. See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_machine, of course, for more info.

8942.png

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted

The java virtual isn't what can cause the problem Jordan was talking about. That would only occur if you are running FS within a virtual machine, which you aren't.

Jim Allan
Posted
Posted

got it

Thanks for the explanations.

I'll keep looking

atc1o.png