You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Help Understanding Components of the Sectorfile

Rob Killins 897126

Rob Killins 897126
Posted
Posted

When I analyze the sector file ...

1) Colours

#define Purple 8388736

#define Teal 8421376

#define Gray 8421504

Where can I reference the values for the different colours? I do not recognize this numerical format and I'd like to change some colours if I can figure out their numerical values.

2) Runways

[RUNWAY]

;---*---*1--*---*--2---------3-*-------4------*--5---------6-*-------7-----

07 25 072 252 N049.43.52.800 W105.57.04.200 N049.43.53.400 W105.56.20.400 [Mod - Happy Thoughts]iniboia

What do the values in red represent. Can I safely [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume they are the runway headings?

Gerry Hattendorf 935415
Posted
Posted

The colors are the decimal equivalents of a hex value expressed as RGB. Each Hex value is expressed from 0 to FF is where 0 is off, and FF is max color.

Example pure Green is expressed in Hex as 0x00FF00, which is the decimal equivalent of 65280.

About the runways, you are correct, just make sure they are 0 padded to 3 characters in length and are magnetic headings, not true headings as they are compensated for in the 8th line under the [iNFO] section.

Gerry Hattendorf

ZLA Webmaster

VATSIM Supervisor

Gerry Hattendorf 935415
Posted
Posted
In sector files, it's actually not the decimal equivalent of RGB ... it's BGR. Don't ask me why ...

That would explain why my colors were off just a bit, I just [Mod - Happy Thoughts]umed my monitor had some type of bug!

Thanks for the link Ross!

Gerry Hattendorf

ZLA Webmaster

VATSIM Supervisor

• 2 weeks later...
Rob Killins 897126
Posted
Posted

About the runways, you are correct, just make sure they are 0 padded to 3 characters in length and are magnetic headings, not true headings as they are compensated for in the 8th line under the [iNFO] section.

Thanks Gerry.

Where can I get the magnetic headings of these runways? The degree values on a standard aerodrome chart ... are they magnetic, or north? eg. CYWG runway 13 has a runway heading of 134 deg.. Is 134 deg true or magnetic?

The same chart indicates a VAR 5deg East, with an annual rate of change of 9.1' W. (2003)

And with trying to understand, line 8 of the info section (Magnetic variation), how does one come to that value?

Gerry Hattendorf 935415
Posted
Posted

The airport diagrams shows magnetic headings which is what you want to use there.

Regarding line 8, if you take a look at the link Ross provided for you, you would take the variation i.e. var 5 degrees east = 5, west would be -5 at the center of your sector, as this "rotates" the display of your scope for you.

Gerry Hattendorf

ZLA Webmaster

VATSIM Supervisor