You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

PC Help

Calum McGregor 1094665

Calum McGregor 1094665
Posted
Posted

Ok, would it still run FSX well?

Could you also reccommend a GFX card please.

2419.png

Ivan Kovacevic 920456
Posted
Posted
Ok, would it still run FSX well?

It *could* run it, but I don't know if it would run it well enough to justify the price you'll pay for it.

Could you also reccommend a GFX card please.

My new graphics card should arrive tomorrow (late 4 days ) so I'll tell you how it works in a day or so.

But, all in all, don't expect to spend less than 180 pounds if you want to get a good graphics card from the current generation (older ones may work just as well at a lower price - but you risk it with low availability, and driver support).

Ivan Kovacevic 920456
Posted
Posted

Definitely nVidia. I've been with ATi for so long, but I have to admit - nVidia seems to be better with FS.

Quite the opposite with XPlane though - my 100EUR 5770 was giving me better performance than the 220EUR GTX460.

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

Ivan: just remember we're still on our first driver.. surely it'll improve with time

Calum McGregor 1094665
Posted
Posted

Ivan most Intel processors have the 1156 socket? What is the difference?

2419.png

Calum McGregor 1094665
Posted
Posted

And the i3 540 does have hyperthreading.

2419.png

Ivan Kovacevic 920456
Posted
Posted

Callum,

The difference is usually in what the one processor has and what the other doesn't. For example, an i5-750 has four physical cores, which is a huge plus for performance. Having two extra physical cores helps FS quite a lot. On the other hand, an i5-6xx has two cores but with hyperthreading and it's made in 32nm (nano meter) technology, so it produces less heat and overclocks much better (I heard someone reaching 5000MHz on air cooling) - but you lose out on the lack of two other cores. Similarly, i3 processors have an extra 'graphics' processor built into the CPU itself, and with an appropriate type motherboard, you wouldn't need a graphics card to run the most basic programs (Word processor, Spreadsheet, maybe watch a movie).

Now, the i3 may seem cheaper, but it's really not built for stuff like Flight Simulator, so you wouldn't really be doing yourself a favor by getting it.

P.S. The i7-9xx series uses a different platform, with a LGA1366 socket, and X58 chipset. The newer 1156 platform is just as good, that's true - but it's being fazed out slowly by mid 2011 with Intel's new 'Sandy Bridge' series of processors.

Calum McGregor 1094665
Posted
Posted

OK thanks I think i'll just save and get an i7 or might just go for an i5 and get it overclocked.

2419.png

Ivan Kovacevic 920456
Posted
Posted

Having just tested my i5 with GTX460, and I'm gobsmacked how good performance is.

Coming from a devoted ATi customer (9+ years), you can take this one to the bank.

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

Actually Sandy Bridge socket succeeds both 1156 and 1366. It'll be just as big as the improvement from coreduo to i7. Can't wait!

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted
Having just tested my i5 with GTX460, and I'm gobsmacked how good performance is.

Coming from a devoted ATi customer (9+ years), you can take this one to the bank.

Ivan,

Happen to know how much power you're pulling from your PSU with that card? I finally had a look at that one, and the specs and reviews look good enough that I'm thinking of jumping to it from the 8800GT. Only thing that concerns me is that it looks like it requires a minimum of a 450W PSU, and I'm worried about blowing my Earthwatts 500W. I my comfort zone is have my box use no more than 50% - 60% of the total wattage of the CPU. I'm currently at 275W with the 8800GT and EA500, but where are you with power consumption with this guy? It would give me insight into looking at the 650W or the 750W PSU.

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Ivan Kovacevic 920456
Posted
Posted

Brad,

I believe I saw the GTX460 pulling an excess of 150W alone under full load. I don't know how good good Antec power supplies are, but as far as I remember, the manufacturers at least 450W PSU for an average system, so the numbers seem to match - but like you, I wouldn't be comfortable having a PSU barely match the minimum requirements.

I've got a Corsair HX650 PSU. Some reviewers tested that series of PSUs and even 20% above the rated power, the power supply was capable of providing the power within ATX requirements, in a slightly brutal 50*C air temperature environment.

By the way, no matter what I did, which addon I used and which scenery/cloud resolutions I tried, performance was well above my expectations, and the FPS is almost always over 30FPS, with only occasional drops to 27.

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

I bought an Nvidia certified power supply for that very reason. Really had no other choice other than pure guessing.

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted
I bought an Nvidia certified power supply for that very reason. Really had no other choice other than pure guessing.

The Antec EarthWatts 750 is NVidia certified. The reason I'm looking at this PSU (outside the fact that I have the EarthWatts 500) is for the 80PLUS certification (very power conserving/conscious), and that it is QUIET. I hear the leaves on the trees outside my place louder than I hear this PSU.

But if a 650W PSU can handle the card, that gives me more options...

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Ivan Kovacevic 920456
Posted
Posted

Look for Seasonic X series or Corsair AX series if you like the efficiency. Those both have 80Plus GOLD rating, which means they are the most efficient power supplies out there.

Usually, you don't need any specific nVidia certification, you should just stick to renowned PSU manufacturers and you'll be safe.

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

Well now I know PC Cooling and Power is good.... I'd buy another from them without the certification for sure. But I have a 750 watt supply.. that's going to last me awhile, 3 years and counting so far.