You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

How to navigate FMC without live ATC

Robert Bernstein 1106839

Robert Bernstein 1106839
Posted
Posted

Hi everyone. The question is: How do you manage the FMC when you have to change routes in flight due to arrival runway being changed? For instance, initially on the ground at the take off airport, I usually have my FMC set to the waypoints approaching the destination airport. In the air approaching the destination airport, the auto ATIS advises me that another runway is active. So, now I have to re-set the FMC in flight to waypoints for the arrival at that runway. So, I hit "initialize" again and set fixes. Unfortunately, the FMC's loc button didnt turn green and head for the new fixes. It just remained yellow and stayed on the old course. How are you supposed to change fixes in the FMC on the fly in flight? Thanks, -Bob.

Jason Baxter 920557
Posted
Posted

It is normal to change waypoints in flight the problem is that when you hit the INIT button it erases your flight plan and resets your route at the current coordinates, you should only INIT on the ground when initialising the FMC, otherwise simply overwrite the waypoints you need to delete. Since you INIT'd the FMC will [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume that you are there when calculating a route, meanwhile you have travelled a significant distance so engaging LNAV or LOC the plane will attempt to follow/intercept that route, obviously it won't be able to do that since it is behind you when finished you should go direct to the next waypoint by pressing the D-> arrow and half way though the turn hit D-> again, this isn't required but it will avoid the FMC overturning to join a route that may be a mile away from you laterally as hitting D-> also calculates your position and creates a route from there to the new point.

CS13_Sig_D.jpg

Jordan Krushen 1135174
Posted
Posted
Hi everyone. The question is: How do you manage the FMC when you have to change routes in flight due to arrival runway being changed? For instance, initially on the ground at the take off airport, I usually have my FMC set to the waypoints approaching the destination airport. In the air approaching the destination airport, the auto ATIS advises me that another runway is active. So, now I have to re-set the FMC in flight to waypoints for the arrival at that runway. So, I hit "initialize" again and set fixes. Unfortunately, the FMC's loc button didnt turn green and head for the new fixes. It just remained yellow and stayed on the old course. How are you supposed to change fixes in the FMC on the fly in flight? Thanks, -Bob.

I did that tonight, actually—just use the prev/next buttons and overwrite the waypoints, starting with the one that changed. If you need to go directly somewhere use direct-to, like Jason mentioned.

8942.png

Robert Bernstein 1106839
Posted
Posted

I see. Thanks. I will try that. So, you leave the FMC engaged in flight, but just enter the modified waypoints and hit D and the FMC will immediately turn to the waypoint? Do I have that right? -Bob.

Jordan Krushen 1135174
Posted
Posted
I see. Thanks. I will try that. So, you leave the FMC engaged in flight, but just enter the modified waypoints and hit D and the FMC will immediately turn to the waypoint? Do I have that right? -Bob.

If you still have an unmodified waypoint ahead of you to go to, just change the points beyond and that's about it. If you need to immediately change to another waypoint, then yeah, use direct-to.

8942.png

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

guessing airbus fmc? dont have this issue with boeing's. havent flown my wilco airbus in awhile but used to have to do the same as above with that one

Wade Williams 877539
Posted
Posted

This plugin can make your life a lot easier:

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=5202

It allows you to type in waypoints using your keyboard rather than having to click on-screen.

Robert Bernstein 1106839
Posted
Posted

Thanks everyone. And thanks Wade for the plugin. I have downloaded it and will try it soon. Im currently flying a CRJ-200 which has the "regular" FMC in it like from planemaker. -Bob.

• 4 weeks later...
Adam Celaya 1164985
Posted
Posted

Turn off that autopilot and fly the plane. The modern FMC will handle the entire flight for you, but what kind of plane handling skills do you get from it?

In a real checkride, you don't get to use autopilot or HOOPS. You have to demonstrate the ability to keep the craft on heading and within 40 feet of your [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned altitude. When you get into higher performance craft you are also required to do all that AND control your speed. Sure the FMS can do it, but can you?