You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Merging earth_fix or earth_nav files

Tony Koch

Tony Koch
Posted
Posted

Does anyone know of a tool that would permit merging customized files with updated versions from x-plane? (I have added fixes, ILSs, etc., for local airports not considered worthy of inclusion in the "master" files). Thanks.

Jordan Krushen 1135174
Posted
Posted
Does anyone know of a tool that would permit merging customized files with updated versions from x-plane? (I have added fixes, ILSs, etc., for local airports not considered worthy of inclusion in the "master" files). Thanks.

They're just text files, so if you already have lines of the right format, a simple script to do search and replace wouldn't be too hard to put together.

I wonder if just sticking the lines at the end of the file would override them in memory as the file is read, actually. Try that? Would be a pretty easy system—just keep the original and the overrides in separate files, and cat the overrides onto the end of the original, putting the result in a third file to merge them.

8942.png

Wade Williams 877539
Posted
Posted

You need a visual diff tool. On the Mac use FileMerge (I think only installed if you install Xcode). On Windows use WinMerge.

Tony Koch
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the suggestions. Not a Mac developer but WinMerge is an option. Turns out additions to the fix file are concatenated at the bottom and easy to find. Not so easy in the nav file. Sending data to Robin. What a great service he provides!